Alien ZZ46G1

stavious

Reaction score
Hey, I made this map a while back, and I just want to upload it now to see what people think of it. It's small and shallow, but then again, it's just made for fun. So here goes:

Alien ZZ46G1

You are an alien that has been kept underground for years by its unidentified protectors. All you got to do it eat, kick some butt, and oh yeh, escape your prison tomb.

The idea is simple, and you use the arrow keys to move around and do everything. There are also several special items lying around such as green eggs, speed enhancing bushes, and power bridges.

I'll let the map do its own now, so have try it out and I hope you'll enjoy it.

P.S. This is more of a test to see if people like this kind of gamestyle, as I am currently trying to decide on what new type of map to make, so if people like this one I'll make a similar one, but bigger and better of course. :D
I also have an older map which is around the same idea gamestyle-wise and you can find it here: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/maps.php?view=266 (That version had some bugs, but none that made the game impossible, and they have since all been fixed, so don't worry about them :D ).

Attachments

• ZZ.w3x
    96.5 KB · Views: 232

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just tested it.

I thought it was quite fun. In some places I got lost. And at the start, I didn't realise that it was Arrow Key control. :p

The terrain was good and the shape of the level was a good one for getting lost in (for me :p). I thought your use of cinematics and special effects was good. I especially liked the usage of cameras on the cinematic at the start. Very effective.

I enjoyed the Boss fight at the end. It was much more fun than clicking on him and waiting for you to kill him or him to kill you.

In total, I would give this map 9/10. GJ

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Nice job - a couple comments:

Increase game speed in general. I think this would make the game more engaging, particularly on a map of that size, in addition to increasing the challenge level. Ideally, the alien could move at the Shimmerweed speed normally, and it could move really quickly when it took the Shimmerweed.

Controls simply have to be better as a whole. There is nothing fun about arrow key movement if it in any way hinders the player, even though I know it's supposed to give more of a first person feel. Please eliminate the lag before the alien starts to move or changes direction. Also, the Fire Breath targeting/usage in general is awkward. You should just make it an ability, hotkey "F" that casts a Fire Breath directly in front of the alien's position. As it was, I'm not sure whether or not the "P" hotkey worked because it's the same as Patrol, so it was useless in any case.

I liked the cinematics showing bridges being created or doors opening - reminiscent of the Blizzard campaigns. I don't think you need help runes telling you exactly what happened, though. It just seems a little excessive. Also, "runes," not "ruins."

Anyway, I definitely think you should make a "bigger and better" map like this. I think you have a knack for it, and it would definitely be successful and fun to play. Thumbs up.

edit: Oh, just one last thing, and this is just an idea. Maybe when you make it more complicated and longer, that is, if you stick to the alien theme, you could have some kind of evolution system where it grew into a Hydralisk or something. I don't know - that would certainly open up new possibilities and maybe be a way of solving (what I think to be) the speed issue (it could get a speed boost, obviously). Anyway, just a thought.

stavious

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thank you for your positive comments :D . About what was said:

Controls simply have to be better as a whole. There is nothing fun about arrow key movement if it in any way hinders the player, even though I know it's supposed to give more of a first person feel. Please eliminate the lag before the alien starts to move or changes direction.

Are you suggesting I remove the arrow movement? Cause that was like half the point of the whole game... And I don't know what you mean by lag before movement, it doesn't do it on my computer, but if other people also get this then I'll definatly look into it.

Also, the Fire Breath targeting/usage in general is awkward. You should just make it an ability, hotkey "F" that casts a Fire Breath directly in front of the alien's position. As it was, I'm not sure whether or not the "P" hotkey worked because it's the same as Patrol, so it was useless in any case.

This is a great idea, of which I have been thinking a long time (note this map isn't recent, made it like a year ago). I think it will definatly by added into the new edition. Also, I was trying before to make him spit fire with just a push of a hotkey, now button, so the direction is then just the direction in which he is facing, but that proved impossible before. If someone has any ideas how to do that now I'd love to hear it though :) .

Finally, thank you Undeaddragon as well for your comment and thewrongvine I hope you enjoy playing it. Also spelling error will obviously be corrected in the future, and all the tips were cause I made this for my younger sibling before :p . The evolution idea also sounds sweet, thanks.

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Are you suggesting I remove the arrow movement? Cause that was like half the point of the whole game... And I don't know what you mean by lag before movement, it doesn't do it on my computer, but if other people also get this then I'll definatly look into it.

No, sorry to be so negative. I do like the arrow key movement; it's just that for some reason, and this may only be on my computer, the movement lagged such that I would press right and the alien wouldn't move right until a full second had elapsed.

This is a great idea, of which I have been thinking a long time (note this map isn't recent, made it like a year ago). I think it will definatly by added into the new edition. Also, I was trying before to make him spit fire with just a push of a hotkey, now button, so the direction is then just the direction in which he is facing, but that proved impossible before. If someone has any ideas how to do that now I'd love to hear it though :) .

This is actually really easy to do. You just need a dummy ability - base it off thunder clap or some other instant cast and set all the artwork and damage to zero - then create a dummy unit with the Breath of Fire ability at the position of the alien and have him Breath of Fire a point with polar offset from the position of the alien according to the alien's facing degrees and within the range of the ability. That's it. Hope that helps.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I think I bugged... the first Firebreath thing, nothing happened when I used P. I tried everything but it didn't work...

Overall cool map. :thup:

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
It was pretty annoying, getting lost all the time and laggy controls. Control + C unlocks locked camera's, though...You might wanna change that.

It was still kinda fun, but not very good.

stavious

Reaction score
I think I bugged... the first Firebreath thing, nothing happened when I used P. I tried everything but it didn't work...

Umm I don't think you need to do that. Use the mouse for the fire I think... maybe you misunderstood previous comments :p ...

About the camera, doesn't really matter. If people want to spoil the game for themselves it's fine, there are cheats in every game :eek: .

Daskunk

Reaction score
About the camera, doesn't really matter. If people want to spoil the game for themselves it's fine, there are cheats in every game :eek: .
Just make the camera lock to the unit every X seconds so they get locked as soon as they unlock it, its not that hard.

I did it becuase I searched everywere and couldnt find another place to go, apparently I missed it, I didn't use it to "cheat". (As in, use it to find eggs, ect.)

Daskunk

Reaction score
OK Daskunk, I think I'll do that if I make a next one. Thanks for helping :D .
Your wellcome. :)

Boss bearly didn't kill me by 9 HP's btw, And I had the life booster item. o_O it was really hard with the laggy movement. Still managed it though. :)

131ackout

I played it
and won.

I couldn't find the last green egg. lol.

(400th post. :D)

stavious

Reaction score
Hey 131ackout, I hope you enjoyed the game :) .
I think I'm going to start making the new map soon (today maybe), just want a few more people to give me their opinion on this on first. Mostly I'm wondering if people like the alien idea or if I should change the character for the next game. Thanks for replying :D .

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
OMG i cant belive it. YOU DID THE PANDERAN ADVENTURES. OH let me sit down, those were the best maps i played in a VERY long time. omg im gunna be sick with joy. :eek:

any way im gunna play this map defently. OMG you basically my childhood hero

EDIT: I just played it, i say it was great, one tiny bug when you reach the ring of power to go to the boss island. If you move onto it and the diolog comes off then you dont click anything you notice that your creature still moves.

Other than that it was great 500000000/10 :) you know i'd liove to make a map like this with you... you got great terraining skills as well. I looked at you triggers and they are great, hardly any leaks.

stavious

Reaction score
Wow, well thank you very much duderock101. I'm very happy you enjoyed my games :D .
I'm definatly going to make another one now. We'll see what happens soon.
If anyone still has any feedback or comments they'd like to say I'd be happy to hear them :) .

stavious

Reaction score
Hey well I just wanted to say thank you for everyone who tested this map and replied.

I still need a few more couragous people though to give me their opinion. The main things I think I'm wondering about now are:

1) The speed of the game, like should it be faster, should I make the Alien move quicker?

2) The boss fight. Was it good? How can I improve upon it?

3) Arrow system. Do you like it? Should it be kept? Does the fact that you need to fire with the mouse get in the way of enjoying a game that's supposidly fully relaiant on the arrows?

4) Any other general bugs and errors that'd you found or would like to see fixed before the new release?

5) And of course, what was your favorite part of it all? Thanks :D

Daskunk

Reaction score
1) The speed of the game, like should it be faster, should I make the Alien move quicker?
Yes, I think he should be faster. I also think eggs should be harder to find.

2) The boss fight. Was it good? How can I improve upon it?
It was to easy once I learned there was a speeder in the arena. I didn't notice it before. ATM, its hard to beat him without the speeder becuase the movement lags, but the movement booster makes you go so much faster. I only found it after I was 9 HP's, allthough I won after that anyways.

3) Arrow system. Do you like it? Should it be kept? Does the fact that you need to fire with the mouse get in the way of enjoying a game that's supposidly fully relaiant on the arrows?
If they didn't lag (they seem to for me anyways) it would be great...

4) Any other general bugs and errors that'd you found or would like to see fixed before the new release?
  • Eggs seem to easy to find.
  • There isnt that much to do, besides walk around, untill the boss level. It least it seems like that..
  • Arrow movement was a little laggy, Im not sure if thats fixable.
  • Maybe make him grow bigger when he eats eggs?
Thats pretty much all I can think of.

5) And of course, what was your favorite part of it all? Thanks :D
The power ups (Speed\fire) and how you had to use them near the end.

stavious

Reaction score
OK cool thanks for the help.
Well I've officially begun my next map. So if people still want to test this one and give comments it'll really help me in improving the one I'm making now.
Thanks in advance :thup: .

EDIT: Well here, I've announced the new game I'm making. The thread link is here. Sounds familiar to anyone??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.