Anything in JASS/WC3 for creating files?

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
I was thinking about the possibility of creating some function to create Text files or Dat files to save information. I have dug about all the JASS topics, forums and more.
Does it exist in some way, even hidden? Do we have any way to access this ability? WC3 does create files, such as save files, but the question is does JASS have the ability to call to the ability inside WC3, if so, can we find the command via Hex or something?

In the most part, this is a pipe dream I know, but if we could create and read files even on a basic level, like a text file. It would be a massive increase in power for games and save/load.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
nope...you can write the game cache and a save game. thats about it.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Need to harrass the Blizzard forums so maybe we can get something like this.

I would be prefect;ly happy if the text file was a <MapName>.SAV and it couldnt be changed from that format. That would give us something at least as for now we have no decent way to save without rediculous codes.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> harrass the Blizzard forums so maybe we can get something like this.

Not going to happen.
The ability to create files with random content is a security issue Blizzard doesn't want to see.
Me neither btw.

Luth

Lex Luthor!
Reaction score
Too right. Imagine a map that created 100s of 1000s of save files on your HD, or a few dozen 2GB files. Maps would turn into veritable viruses, with B.net as the distribution system. While useful in the hands of professionals, evil little kiddies can find some way to screw everyone.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Ive never tested this myself but it may work.

Wc3 has a 'SaveGame' function, never used it in my entire life and it has some restrictions afaik. Don't know the exact usuability of this function.

Anyway, if you use the gamecache in a multiplayer game and save the game all gamecache data is in the saved file, and it's possible to extract this data from the file. There is actualy a tool at wc3c for this 'extracting'.

So with the help of a 3rd party program it should be possible to detect when a game is saved, extract the neccesary information from the save file and create a plain text file with whatever you want.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Assuming this worked, it would do so on your comp.
There's no way some random map does so on my comp.

No unknown third-party tools from maps on my comp! :p

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
E-mail him a birthday card with an attachtment, as he feels joy, you laugh, knowing you had implented a terrible virus, which seaks and destroys all AceHarts empty folders.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
or even worse...
call it AceHart.This.Is.Not.Infected.exe. when he opens it he's in for a terrible suprise - a virus that will change his avatar!

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Granted the size of the file would be an issue. But there are plenty of ways to make this feature not exploitable.

First thing, if the saved file shows up only as the name of the map with .SAV on the end it wont be executable by windows. It could in theory be a data file for something more malicious, but it would have to be a third party program on the computer already or distributed through an archived map file. I am sure people will fall for that, but whats to say that wihtout this they wouldnt fall for it already. And its kina far fetched to say that you would use WC3 for giving your virus marching orders, when its easier to attack the ports and open up what you want.

You can also limit file size, so it doesnt become a multi gigabyte hard drive eater. Once again, they wouldnt be able to create 100s to 1000s of them, since it has to be the map name.

There shouldnt be any reason Blizzard would find this to be a security issue if they create limitations ahead of time. Such as Folder Specific, Cant create executables, Limits on file size, forced names.

Drawback to the SaveGame with cache, is there someway to LoadGame? And I dont want to load the entire game, i just want to force current player info for one player into a file for later use. Would be nice to have the ability to write the code myself for the text to be forced. That way I can even make a dialog for the save code to allow multiple saves and loads from one file.

C

CryptWizard

It's not possible, if you need that kind of functionality, you might as well write your own game.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.