World Apocalypse not right now: 'Rapture' end of world fails to materialise

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
> Is there something about BC/AD that I don't know?

There is no year 0.

And, yes, the D from AD wasn't coming year 1, but year 7 BC.
Which is another clearly established fact that only illiterate heretics like you wouldn't know about.

Then again, some might try to argue that adding up random numbers until you get the result you're looking for isn't exactly rocket surgery.
Usually though, those calculations are used to end up with 666, to prove the fact that something or other is the devil or the bringer of doom or so.

On the other hand though... turns out I'm still here too.
Damn.
Seems I'll have to wait for the Killer Robot iPocalypse after all.
Or, optionally, for the more likely Zombie Apocalypse.
In which case I still have some time get me inside this zombie-proof house :p

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Harold Camping, You really thought the world would end?
You're such a dumbass!

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I had a dream that there was a zombie apocalypse and I walled up in my restaurant. It was during Prom and apparently a small wooden gate can keep out infinity zombies. Also, some prom people broke our gate and night was falling, so we had to leave. Then, it was like StarCraft Replay merged with Zombie Apocalypse and people were dancing with Zombies because they slowed down time to "Slowest" (yeah literally "Slowest"). Each zone in the Prom had different speeds and people in "Slowest" could dance indefinitely with zombies because they were almost frozen. We ended up doing crap like stealing cars and going to some random hideout where there was a factory nearby with infinity supply of these cakes (small like 1 inch by 1 inch) and a limited supply of Ice Cream. I drove a manual jeep type car with the two girls who broke our gate (wtf?). For some reason I was using the clutch and the girl next to me was shifting. Bad idea. She shifted before I hit the clutch and our transmission exploded. Also, there were three icons (wtf?) floating around that showed when I was using the gas, breaks, and clutch. It also showed me when each one failed (broke). We ended up finding this toy car thing that was big enough to seat two if we ripped out the seats. Too bad it went like 0.5 mph. For some reason I had three people, but when we got to that toy car there was only me and one girl. We got out and ran. Oh did I mention that the zombies were just walking past us while we were doing the magic with the car (>_>). We stayed there for a while and the chocolate ice cream was running out. Then I came up with the idea that we should move to Alaska (like I was going around asking people if they would go with me) because there were relatively few people there; however I knew that we would need survival skills and equipment. Then I just sort of sat there and stayed there for a few days. Zombies sort of disappeared. I had some random stuff pertaining to 28 Days Later in there. Apparently when zombies were alive they released "pollen" that could infect people. There were like a few zombies around our camp site. We knew, somehow, that zombies died after 28 days. Then I woke up.

It was another wtf dream.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
Rapture 2011: Harold Camping's Flock Prepares To Fly

OAKLAND, Calif. — They spent months warning the world of the apocalypse, some giving away earthly belongings or draining their savings accounts. And so they waited, vigilantly, on Saturday for the appointed hour to arrive.

When 6 p.m. came and went across the United States and various spots around the globe, and no extraordinary cataclysm occurred, some believers expressed confusion, while others reassured each of their faith. Still, some others took it in stride.

"I had some skepticism but I was trying to push the skepticism away because I believe in God," said Keith Bauer – who hopped in his minivan in Maryland and drove his family 3,000 miles to California for the Rapture.

He started his day in the bright morning sun outside the gated Oakland headquarters of Family Radio International, whose founder, Harold Camping, has been broadcasting the apocalyptic prediction for years.

"I was hoping for it because I think heaven would be a lot better than this earth," said Bauer, a tractor-trailer driver, who began the voyage west last week, figuring that if he "worked last week, I wouldn't have gotten paid anyway, if the Rapture did happen."

The May 21 doomsday message was sent far and wide via broadcasts and websites by Camping, an 89-year-old retired civil engineer who has built a multi-million-dollar Christian media empire that publicizes his apocalyptic prediction. According to Camping, the destruction was likely to have begun its worldwide march as it became 6 p.m. in the various time zones, although some believers said Saturday the exact timing was never written in stone.

In New York's Times Square, Robert Fitzpatrick, of Staten Island, said he was surprised when the six o'clock hour simply came and went. He had spent his own money to put up advertising about the end of the world.

"I can't tell you what I feel right now," he said, surrounded by tourists. "Obviously, I haven't understood it correctly because we're still here."

Many followers said the delay was a further test from God to persevere in their faith.

"The cold, hard reality is going to hit them that they did this, and it was false and they basically emptied out everything to follow a false teacher," the Rev. Jacob Denys, of the Milpitas-based Calvary Bible Church, said earlier. "We're not all about doom and gloom. Our message is a message of salvation and of hope."

Read More
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/21/rapture-2011-harold-campi_n_865090.html

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
Their stubbornness is unparalleled.

After about 2000 years of "any day now", they might want to reconsider... but, well, whatever works for them.

This gave me a lol.

There’s nothing funny about being naive, misguided and overprotected.
Some of them have kids.
Some of those kids will ask questions.
Questions that will be answered with excuses and, mostly, lies and more random Bible quotes.
Some things will be lost to them.
Perhaps that's something good.
But you just don't know for sure.

What I do know though is that Harold's is a multi-million institution.
And I'm not sure whether that's amazing or just plain scary.
Probably both.
But not funny.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Preacher says world will actually end in October

OAKLAND, Calif. – A California preacher who foretold of the world's end only to see the appointed day pass with no extraordinarily cataclysmic event has revised his apocalyptic prophecy, saying he was off by five months and the Earth actually will be obliterated on Oct. 21.

Harold Camping, who predicted that 200 million Christians would be taken to heaven Saturday before catastrophe struck the planet, apologized Monday evening for not having the dates "worked out as accurately as I could have."

He spoke to the media at the Oakland headquarters of his Family Radio International, which spent millions of dollars_ some of it from donations made by followers — on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the Judgment Day message.

It was not the first time Camping was forced to explain when his prediction didn't come to pass. The 89-year-old retired civil engineer also prophesied the Apocalypse would come in 1994, but said later that didn't happen then because of a mathematical error.

More.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.