Auto Cast Upgradable Chain Lightning

und34d-rul3

Reaction score
Ok, I want to do a few things. What I want to happen is to have Chain Lightning auto cast from a tower, and I want it to be upgradable so at level 1 it hits one target, level 2 it hits two, and level 3 it hits three. Anyone know how you would do this?

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I don't think you can make it autocast in the sense that it has the little ring of shinies going around it when you right click it. But you can give it the Lightning Orb ability, and just mess around with it in object editor.

Hope that helped =)

und34d-rul3

Reaction score
I don't need the gold shining ring, in fact I would prefer to not have it. If you've ever played wintermaul with electric and used the chain lightning tower, I want it to be like that, but upgradeable.

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Use Orb of Lightning (new) item ability, and change the purge ability to chain lightning, then just make several ranks of it, and make it with some triggers where it'll be upgradeable.

Edit: Not sure if giving the Orb of Lightning (new) ability to a unit or hero will still enable it to be autocast or not if you change it to a unit or hero ability, but if so then what I posted should work.

und34d-rul3

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by that, and how I would do that. Could you please explain a little more. And like I said it is going to come from a tower.

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Map is finished, I'm going to add an attachment and let you download it, to look at everything how it's done. You may edit the values yourself to your liking.

Attachments

• chain lightning tower 1.1.w3x
    19.6 KB · Views: 79

und34d-rul3

Reaction score
That doesnt work, I played it and researched chain lightning but it was dimmed and wouldn't attack.

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
That doesnt work, I played it and researched chain lightning but it was dimmed and wouldn't attack.

You need to let it attack first, then while it's attacking upgrade it. Don't know why it's like that, probably a glitch, but as far as the dimmed part, I can't fix that, if you want an auto chain lightning that is clickable then I'll work on it tomorrow(However this alternate chain lightning will not be nearly as good as the one in the map, you just have to deal with the dim)

und34d-rul3

Reaction score
Idk what you mean, it doesn't need to be clickable, but it wasn't casting chain lightning at all.

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Ok, I made a better version.

When you start up the map, do not upgrade at all until you have seen at least one chain lightning go off. (It's a glitch that I have no idea how to fix, but just do it.)

The towers and footmen, have HP regen now so nothing can die.

Edit: Delete the other map you downloaded and get the new one I attached. Also for some reason, the towers stop attacking once in a while, just wait for a little bit and they will start attacking again. (Probably from so many footmen attacking.)

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
The problem with Orb of Lightning is that you need to actually 'attack' the unit before the ability can be activated. There's a difference between 'attack' and 'auto-attack'. If the unit auto acquire its target, the chain lightning won't get activated. If you manually attack your target (using 'attack' or 'smart' or 'right click') then it will get activated.

You can simply test this by just selecting your tower, and right-clicking the targets. It will cast chain lightning.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
If you want a Chain Lightning to be cast everytime the tower attacks, well, just give the tower some low damage, and detect when the tower attacks, order the Tower itself to cast Chain Lightning on the attacked unit.

und34d-rul3

Reaction score
Ok, heres what happens in my game. The tower will not be attacked at all. The tower will have a normal attack type which will be used, but I want a secondary lightning attack that can bounce, chain lightning. The target for chain lightning should be somewhat random, and it shouldn't be based on what the tower is attacking.

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
The problem with Orb of Lightning is that you need to actually 'attack' the unit before the ability can be activated. There's a difference between 'attack' and 'auto-attack'. If the unit auto acquire its target, the chain lightning won't get activated. If you manually attack your target (using 'attack' or 'smart' or 'right click') then it will get activated.

You can simply test this by just selecting your tower, and right-clicking the targets. It will cast chain lightning.

Is there any other way of making it work the way we're talking about here?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> Is there any other way of making it work the way we're talking about here?

Code:
Test
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is attacked
    Conditions
        (Level of Orb of Lightning (new)  for (Attacking unit)) Greater than 0
    Actions
        Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
        Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Attack (Triggering unit)
        Trigger - Turn on (This trigger)

This might make it work. But somehow the Lightning is not casted on the first attack. Not sure why.

Or trigger the whole thing :p:
Code:
Test 2
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is attacked
    Conditions
        (Level of Devotion Aura for (Attacking unit)) Greater than 0 <-- [I]Devotion Aura is just a dummy ability that does nothing[/I]
    Actions
        Set Z_Unitgp_General = (Units within 512.00 of (Position of (Attacking unit)) matching ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and ((((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Attacking unit))) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True))))
        Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Attacking unit)) at (Position of (Attacking unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Add Chain Lightning to (Last created unit) <-- [I]Make sure C Lightning does not require mana and has decent casting range.[/I]
        Unit - Set level of Chain Lightning for (Last created unit) to (Level of Devotion Aura for (Attacking unit))
        Unit - Hide (Last created unit)
        Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Far Seer - Chain Lightning (Random unit from Z_Unitgp_General)

PooBucket

Reaction score
What he means is casting auto. Not chance like Orb of Lightning, it's clear what he wants..... Why not base off an ability that is auto-cast and uses that ability when an enemy is near by, and when you cast you get a dummy unit to cast chain lightning?
Else if you don't want those shining things, you could have something detecting when a unit comes near it.... But unfortunately that's specific unit. If you unit is a specific unit, (not when built) go unit within range and then actions - chain lightning.

und34d-rul3

Reaction score
Ok I think I have most of it working, but I have 2 questions:
1) How can I make it so a trigger will turn auto cast on for the ability every second, or is there a better way to make sure auto cast is always on?

2) I used heal as the ability to use for auto cast, but it doesn't target anyone at full health, is there a way to fix this? (Already changed amount it heals to 0)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.