Tutorial Basic Triggering Efficiency

Reaction score
U are a noob, you are confusing efficiency with performance. The loop examples, for instance, might not be much better performance-wise but increase triggering efficiency by making it easier to manage the code and make changes.

If this tutorial were about increasing performance, it might be called "Increasing Trigger Performance" instead, and it would only be two words long.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
If this tutorial were about increasing performance, it might be called "Increasing Trigger Performance" instead, and it would only be two words long.
Those two words: Use JASS ;)
The loop examples, for instance, might not be much better performance-wise but increase triggering efficiency by making it easier to manage the code and make changes.
Correct :thup:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just thought i'd mention this:
Wouldn't the create unit trigger cause an endless loop?
it creates 7 footmen, and all 7 trigger the trigger, which creates another 7 footmen for each of the triggers, which trigger... etc :)

Knight7770

Reaction score
Just thought i'd mention this:
Wouldn't the create unit trigger cause an endless loop?
it creates 7 footmen, and all 7 trigger the trigger, which creates another 7 footmen for each of the triggers, which trigger... etc :)
Yes, it would. However, that really isn't something that this tutorial deals with; it does not need to be fixed.

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think, if you're going to talk about efficiency, you should include efficiency with how you make the triggers as well. Sure, having an action pasted 10 times might be faster than a loop from 1 to 10 doing the same thing, but the loops is far easier to modify later if you find an error, or you want to add something.

U are a noob, you are confusing efficiency with performance. The loop examples, for instance, might not be much better performance-wise but increase triggering efficiency by making it easier to manage the code and make changes.

I think you guys are mistaking efficiency for configuration.

U are a noob

Reaction score
I think not so.

Efficiency:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/efficiency said:
  1. the state or quality of being efficient; competency in performance.
  2. accomplishment of or ability to accomplish a job with a minimum expenditure of time and effort: The assembly line increased industry's efficiency.
  3. the ratio of the work done or energy developed by a machine, engine, etc., to the energy supplied to it, usually expressed as a percentage.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/efficiency

Efficient:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/efficient said:
  1. performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort; having and using requisite knowledge, skill, and industry; competent; capable: a reliable, efficient secretary.
  2. satisfactory and economical to use: Our new air conditioner is more efficient than our old one.
  3. producing an effect, as a cause; causative.
  4. utilizing a particular commodity or product with maximum efficiency (usually used in combination): a fuel-efficient engine.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/efficient

Knight7770

Reaction score
Originally Posted by http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/efficient
  1. performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort; having and using requisite knowledge, skill, and industry; competent; capable: a reliable, efficient secretary.
  2. satisfactory and economical to use: Our new air conditioner is more efficient than our old one.
  4. utilizing a particular commodity or product with maximum efficiency (usually used in combination): a fuel-efficient engine.

1. Thank you for both proving my and disproving your respective points.

U are a noob

Reaction score
Thank you for both proving my and disproving your respective points.

Efficient:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/efficient said:
Notice how is says to get the best possible and then in the least possible time.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Saying that one trigger is more efficient than another generally means the game handles that trigger more efficiently (ie. faster). What you're referring to in this tutorial is a more efficient way for the mapper to make and maintain the trigger. Your use of the word itself is right in general, but in programming (and therefore triggering as well) something being "efficient" is already well defined (as something that takes less time or consumes less resources to execute).

Anyway, you need more examples. See if you can make something more complex - one good example would be TD triggers where using a Unit Type array saves lots of time. Or simply a trigger that creates different amounts of units of different types where you would have to use two arrays (unit type and integer).

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Perhaps this should be renamed to "More effective triggering" instead of efficient?

Reaction score
Saying that one trigger is more efficient than another generally means the game handles that trigger more efficiently (ie. faster). What you're referring to in this tutorial is a more efficient way for the mapper to make and maintain the trigger.

Making and maintaining triggers is what triggering is, I would have thought.

Your use of the word itself is right in general, but in programming (and therefore triggering as well) something being "efficient" is already well defined (as something that takes less time or consumes less resources to execute).

An "efficient coder" is different to "efficient code". I do agree that this tutorial needs more examples. Maybe a subsection could be added on use of debug messages?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.