Best program for managing memory?

hi_im_bob

......and you are?
Reaction score
I have probably close to 8 gigs of music/tv shows and less than like 20 on applications. My computer has more than 30 gigs but it says that I only have like 1 or 2 gigs free. I tried uninstalling as many unnecessary programs as I could but im sure there is more stuff I can get rid of. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this or is there a program I should use? What about a defragger? And if so are there any that people can suggest?

Thanks

Evan1993

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I have probably close to 8 gigs of music/tv shows and less than like 20 on applications. My computer has more than 30 gigs but it says that I only have like 1 or 2 gigs free. I tried uninstalling as many unnecessary programs as I could but im sure there is more stuff I can get rid of. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this or is there a program I should use? What about a defragger? And if so are there any that people can suggest?

Thanks

If you have windows XP you can use the defualt defragger by clicking on the start menu and then "Run. . ."; and type in "dfrg.msc"

However I advize you buy more disk space. 30 gigd is very little, is it a flash drive?

My computer has over 400 gigs and you can buy a 1 tb drive on newegg for 140$.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Defragger won't give you any more free space. It's just a performance tweak and on a small volume like 30GB formatted with NTFS, fragmentation isn't going to be noticeable.

In XP, you might have some disk space being used by the System Restore function. You can turn it off if you want but it can be helpful in the event of a problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

You should probably leave it on but you can allocate less space to that feature (which means you won't have as many different points available to restore to.)
Go to Start>> Control Panel
Double click the System icon
Click the System Restore tab
If you have a single partition, click the Settings button and reduce the disk space allocation by sliding the bar to the left. If you have multiple partitions, select the partition and then click the Settings button. Again, sliding the bar to the left reduces the disk allocation.
When finished, click OK

Really though, you should just buy more disk space. ;)

hi_im_bob

......and you are?
Reaction score
I know I have next to no memory, ive had to delete a lot of stuff. But right now im totally broke and im looking for any options. but thanks for the help anyways

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
If the problem is not knowing what's taking the space, download EasyCleaner, run it, and click on the Space usage button. Then select a partition and press Find - it will display a chart on how much space each folder takes. You can also double click on any folder to see how much space its subfolders/files take.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Its not memory you guys are talking about. You are talking about disc space. You don't need Memory Management programs as the Operating System manages the memory. What you need to do is delete some crap off your hard drive.

A good tool for this is ccleaner

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

You also might want to buy a cheap second hard drive and keep all your images and downloads on there. You really only want to install programs and your Operating System on your main drive.

But your hard disk space is what you are talking about if I read this right. Not memory. Memory is your Ram and nothing is saved in that area when your computer is off. Your had disk is where all your programs are installed and those are 30 gig and stuff like that. Ram and Hard Disk are two different things.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Ram and Hard Disk are two different things.

You said it brotha. Every single person I've encountered (Not apart from my friend <-- Singular) who had a question about HDD's said "I don't have enough memory!"..... even my mom thinks that -_-'

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.