Gaming Blizzard sells Horse in WoW and makes $2 Million in Four Hours

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The Blizzard Pet Store is offering two new virtual pets to World of Warcraft players today, one of which has generated over $2 million in sales in its first four hours.

The "Celestial Steed" (right) is, according to its description on the Blizzard Store, "freshly born from the Twisting Nether" and allows players to "travel in style astride wings of pure elemental stardust."

More research is of course necessary but as of press time, it is widely believed that the Celestial Steed may be the fanciest horse ever born.

The fancy horse costs $25 and offers no new abilities to players, only riding as fast as a character's riding skill will enable it to go.

Last edited:

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I'm all for DLC on any game platform, but when they're charging $25 for something which does nothing other than look nice, you know they've crossed a line somewhere.

What makes it worse, of course, is that so many people have already bought it and so Blizzard - and other DLC extortionists - will not see any reason to change such practices.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I hope that was a real horse...

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
WoW is a money machine. Honestly, I can't help but admire how skilled is Blizzard at sucking money from its subscribers :D.

When you make money from something that is just a visual 'candy bar', with no other uses, you know you're a beast in the industry xD.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
i'm going to be one of those guys who says "i want one" before you turn this into a total bashing thread... but...

if you spend $14 a month for cheap entertainment and don't go out all that much... and you have seen this horse...

it's totally worth it if you have $25 to blow.

i have a 310 speed mount on wow so it will match that... meaning it's the only other one that would be 310. fun times if you ask me. i bought some pets for my wife cause she has over 100 and collects them on the game. haha. why not? but i aggree it could get a little hefty with time. as with all collections, they don't serve that much of a practical use. (though this one very arguably does).

Seprest

Reaction score
Is it a mount? I may have to activate my WoW account again to get in on this :thup:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
One Celestrial Steed is worth ...

5x
subway-five-dollar-footlong.jpg

or ...

28x
taco-bell-cheesy-double-beef-burrito.jpg

or ...

8x
bigmac.jpg

Well, why buy that when you can buy these fine products?

...is it clear that I'm hungry? Bad idea to mosey off to work without breakfast in me :(

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
obsessive obsession is obsessive

but seriously why would so many people want such an ugly horse

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I logged in, ran around for 10 seconds, and saw 7.
Blizz is smart.

Durandal

Reaction score
WoW is a money machine. Honestly, I can't help but admire how skilled is Blizzard at sucking money from its subscribers :D.

When you make money from something that is just a visual 'candy bar', with no other uses, you know you're a beast in the industry xD.

QFT

Blizzard at sucking money from its subscribers

Or rather, from sucking money with losers without a brain

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Blizz is smart.

Same thing happened to me. I was surprised that they sold so quickly.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Won't buy one, don't believe in paying for those kinds of things like pets and mounts. But why does it look so ugly, you look like a fairy. Rockin the Gladiator Frostwrym :)

Seprest

Reaction score
Getting home today, I realize that anyone who bought this is REALLY a sucker.... Go spend $25 on something better, like a nice knic-knak for your desk...

I would rather just wait for the next engineer mount or other cool stuff that will be released in the future (im more a pet collector).

I can deal with the lil pets, as they are great gifts for WoW friends esp if they are using a credit card plan that covers more than 1 month, so getting them a gamecard is mainly pointless.

$25 for a tcg-style spectral mount? Maybe it's because I got my purple proto drake and hhm, but it looks cool at first glance, but I can't imagine any armour fitting this for long... It's a damn see-through glowly pegasus*.

Reports from my WoW friends say that the mount is already oversaturating Azeroth, pay $25 to look like a tool and every other WoW-tard. Or ride a nice, clean, gryphon or what have you. Also if you have a 310% mount already, I can't see the point on getting this, chances are the 310% mount you have is much more novel/rare than THIS will ever be!

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
"travel in style astride wings of pure elemental stardust."
My Little WoW Pony? >.>

Blizz is smart.
Ye, I've seen ~10 so far on my realm - it'd be nice to have one, but it's not something I'd pay $25 for (probably wouldn't pay anything for it to be honest)

Getting home today, I realize that anyone who bought this is REALLY a sucker.... Go spend $25 on something better, like a nice knic-knak for your desk...
Like one of those Wind Rider/Gryphon cub plushies? :p

Reports from my WoW friends say that the mount is already oversaturating Azeroth, pay $25 to look like a tool and every other WoW-tard. Or ride a nice, clean, gryphon or what have you. Also if you have a 310% mount already, I can't see the point on getting this, chances are the 310% mount you have is much more novel/rare than THIS will ever be!
Hehe, yeah - Frostbrood Vanquishers are really outshining the Celestial Steeds :D I wish I had one of those too :<

Danis[h]

Reaction score
QFT

Or rather, from sucking money with losers without a brain

I disagree. The happiness from acquiring a product, digital or material doesn't change.
It's not just a horse they are buying, but another item to add onto a character which they have put time and effort into. If it makes someone happy why not?

Going by your argument people who buy diamonds are equally stupid. They have no other significant use than "looking nice" either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.