Board Game Unit Pathing (was: Some questions)

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Board Game Unit Pathing

Well, I guess this is for the more advanced people. If something like this takes jass, then I'm fine with that.

Well, I want to make a kindof unit movement, where there are squares and you click on a square to make the unit go there, but move onto the other squares before hand.

Well, Think of it like a board game pathing. (Thank the contest for the idea of making a board game :p Never thought of that. I'm not good enough to compete with most of the people here really) You roll 2 dice, then you get that many turns. Each space you move is 1 turn. Now how would I go about making that kindof pathing?

call MakeQuestionSolved(The other question is with the dice system. The dice system will always have the same rolls. Similar to something like this
1 and 2
2 and 3
3 and 4
4 and 5
and if you restart the game you'll get those numbers (It really isn't those numbers, but it's the concept that the rolls will always be the same no matter how many times you restart the game)
How do I make the numbers actually random?)

Thank you for your time. Helpers will be [del]raped[/del] repped. :p
Anyone who tries to help out with something solved will be [del]repped[/del] raped.

Shura

Reaction score
For the second question, go to File > Preferences and under Test Map unclick Use Fixed Random Seed.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Well, I want to make a kindof unit movement, where there are squares and you click on a square to make the unit go there, but move onto the other squares before hand.

Well, Think of it like a board game pathing. (Thank the contest for the idea of making a board game Never thought of that. I'm not good enough to compete with most of the people here really) You roll 2 dice, then you get that many turns. Each space you move is 1 turn. Now how would I go about making that kindof pathing?

I think your already requesting for a game board map :p

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
It's not only for my map, it's for the possible uses in the future. I can come up with a million games that can use something like this.

Also I did mention that this map was inspired by the contest.. And I know what some people are going to do and I cannot compete for the life of me.

Would just be something really fun to do :p

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why would someone make most of the system of the game for you, when they could just make it and enter themselves?

Jonnycakes

Reaction score
Because they are nice? You might as well ask why anyone on this forum gives anyone else help when they could just use their time for something self-centered instead.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Becaause this is a help forum.. And people who need help with something they don't know how to do should ask.. And I want at least an idea. If you briefly explain it in 3 sentences it should be fine.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, in answer to the two above posts, this would require TREMENDOUS effort. Hours and hours of coding. You would have to make a completely different code for each piece.

Anyway, in theory, all you have to do is make trackables. Which is impossible in GUI. Then, you have to use IF/THEN/ELSE to see if it can indeed move there. Then you have to somehow make the rects perfect to the squares.

Conal

Reaction score
You could write a little trigger to generate points for every board tile knowing that each tile is spaced apart evenly. Then check to see if the terrain type is whatever board tile you want and create a region centered at the point.

As for movement, you'd need a Tile_Next and Tile_Last for each player. For each region the actions would include those variables and changing them would allow the region triggers to be dynamic since you probably would want to create them all at init. After that, you can just run a bunch of if statements to find out the next tile based on the direction of the Tile_Last or available tile(s) around the unit. Pop the next tile into the variable so when your unit enters it, the region triggers will know to continue doing their thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.