c++ tutorial

nemesispoi

Reaction score
are there any good tutorials on c++

im tryng learn how to design games but i dont know wher to start

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Well, there might be better languages to start with, like Java, but if you want to learn C++, you could get C++ for Dummies.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
how is java different?

i also saw a thread on java gui, is that any different?
The only thing I know about Java is that it's easier than C++. If you want to learn C++, get a copy of C++ for Dummies. ;)

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
i could be wrong, but java can do everything or close to it as c++. but i runs like 10x slower or something.
its more better for online stuff because of the way it runs.

Safer and easier to use. but overall slower

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Fact: It's easy to learn Java after you know C++, but not the other way round.

> its more better for online stuff because of the way it runs.
> Safer
:confused:

duyen

Reaction score
Java is way more advanced then C++.

I'd start out with Visual Basic 2008 - then learn C++.

Both can be downloaded here.

And Java itself is not slower, your thinking of JSP.

redmarine

Reaction score
C++ is the language of "choice". You can actually decide how effectively and fast it runs on your machine. I'd recommend C++ because most languages are based on it so it wouldn't be so hard for you to learn all the others when they are required.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I would suggest c# over all. because its a simplified c++. overall its slower then most langwages like c++ out there, but its still a very good way to go. Visual basic, then c# (silver light for online apps) then c++.

The truth is if you learn these 3 (sorta Microsoft way of things) You can build alot of your project in visual basic and some in c# and the things in your application that really need power you throw in some c++. all in the same project.

Think of it as a set of tools. visual basic is large blocks, c# is small blocks, and c++ is tiny blocks. so depending on what you need to build you can use one or the all that fit right for your project.

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
The speed won't really matter a bit to you if you are starting, even if you are advanced it doesn't make that big of a difference, that is only for the high-end game programmers, it makes sense there.

Visual Basic is really easy to learn, I started with it. C# is imo the same thing with a syntax thats a little different, Intellisense+.Net make it almost as easy as VB.Net. C and C++ are harder, a little more powerful but don't worry about that.

For Games, in general I would go with C++ for professional games or with C# because its easy and XNA makes it even easier. On the XNA website you can download some nice game source code, but before you start game programming you'll have to be pretty advanced.

Sintoras

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
There is no C++ 2008, the latest revision of the language dates back to 2003.

What you're referring to is probably an IDE (MS Visual C++ 2008). You could as well use Eclipse.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.