Chain Lightning Item - Problem?

futeki

Reaction score
I created a custom item based off of the Thunderlizard Diamond, but have ran into a little problem.

If I use the item against an enemy unit, they do not attack me, but rather, run away (they have attack enabled, in fact if I get closer, they'll attack me). The attack is not considered an attack from my unit.

How do I make it so the attack comes from my unit, so I can trigger events off of the attack? (which is the entire goal of this)

Bird

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The only reasons a mob would run away from you...
1. You are invulnerable.
2. They can't see you.
3. They can't reach to you (flying/pathing).
4. All damage actually comes from a dummy unit (which causes problems 1 and/or 2 and/or 3).

futeki

Reaction score
The only reasons a mob would run away from you...
1. You are invulnerable.
Definitely not invulnerable.
2. They can't see you.
The unit can definitely see me.
3. They can't reach to you (flying/pathing).
If I just straight up attack the unit, they attack back.
4. All damage actually comes from a dummy unit (which causes problems 1 and/or 2 and/or 3).
It comes from the item I listed above, which leads me to believe it must be the item.

Bird

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
OK - my final suggestion is make the target's acquisition range longer than the Chain Lightning range.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Try using a simple trigger:

Event - Unit uses an item
Conditions - Item type of item being used equal to ThunderlizardDiamond
Actions - Order unit target of item(ability etc.. whatever fits) to attack unit manipulating item

Unless you have some AI or something this shouldn't conflict.

And yes, it's a standard warcraft problem ^^

futeki

Reaction score
Try using a simple trigger:

Event - Unit uses an item
Conditions - Item type of item being used equal to ThunderlizardDiamond
Actions - Order unit target of item(ability etc.. whatever fits) to attack unit manipulating item

Unless you have some AI or something this shouldn't conflict.

And yes, it's a standard warcraft problem ^^

Tried this:

Trigger:
  • Diamond
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Uses an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Diamond
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Target unit of ability being cast) to Attack (Hero manipulating item)

Didn't work. Any other ideas?

Bird

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Tried this:

Trigger:
  • Diamond
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Uses an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Diamond
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Target unit of ability being cast) to Attack (Hero manipulating item)

Didn't work. Any other ideas?
^ Wrong event. Use
Trigger:
  • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability

And your Conditional needs to be about the Spell (not the Item) and the Attack target must be Casting Unit (Not Hero Manipulating)

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
^ Wrong event. Use
Trigger:
  • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability

And your Conditional needs to be about the Spell (not the Item) and the Attack target must be Casting Unit (Not Hero Manipulating)

Won't work, the there is no unit casting an ability, ergo there is no condition fulfilled.

In fact, nothing will work it seems, i thought there was a ''Unit target by item" action but i was wrong. I have no idea how to make this work bugless, just try to make the chain lighting range shorter or something xD

futeki

Reaction score
Won't work, the there is no unit casting an ability, ergo there is no condition fulfilled.

In fact, nothing will work it seems, i thought there was a ''Unit target by item" action but i was wrong. I have no idea how to make this work bugless, just try to make the chain lighting range shorter or something xD

Actually, it worked. And it makes no sense to me either...

Ashlebede

Reaction score
Indeed, it should work, since there is a unit casting the ability, it's just that that ability is an item ability. But it's still a unit casting it, and you can know, if your item ability has some casting time, that it really is casting that ability, not just using an item.

Bird

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Won't work, the there is no unit casting an ability
Wrooong, a Hero using an Item to cast a Spell *is* a Casting Unit.

Actually, it worked.
Of course it did.

I still don't see what your problem actually is though... the 4 reasons I listed earlier (as to why a Unit wouldn't Attack you). I'll make a test later, perhaps, and see if a Target will Attack me after using an Item Spell.

Ashlebede

Reaction score
You shouldn't order the target to attack the caster, though. What if it's in a BNet game and the owner of the target is "Focus firing"? Maybe just dealing some additional damage (I'm thinking of 1 point of damage) using triggers could work, instead...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.