Other Chaotica: A Card Game

Opining on the map!

• It's the greatest thing since sliced bread (to use a cliché), defenitly continue working on it.

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Sound interesting, but not blowing me out of my shoes.

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • Rather boring idea, not really interested.

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a map I've been willing to work on for a long while. Basicaly, it's a turnbased card game along the lines of Magic: the Gathering or WOW Trading Card Game.

--------------------

-----Object of the Game-----

The object of the game is to kill the opposing deckmaster. The opposing deckmaster is protected by three shields. You'll have to take these down before you can attack the deckmaster.

-----Rounds/Turns

A round is each player taking a turn. So a round would consist of both player 1's and player 2's turn.

-----Resources-----

The basic resource is the deckmaster's mana, which is determined by the amount of essences you have in play. Essences are similar to lands in magic or quests in wow tcg. There's currently only one kind of essence. However, in the future all kinds of special essences will be added, each with different abilities and advantages.

Essences can only be played on your turn. You can only play one essence a round.

-----Creatures

Creatures of all sorts can be summoned by your deckmaster using your cards. Creatures can attack both the opposing deckmaster and opposing creatures. Certain creatures however have an ability called "blocker". The opposing deckmaster's shields, you'l have to kill these creatures first.

Creatures are determined by two values, health and attack. Whenever two creatures fight, they each deal their attack-value to the opposing creatures health. If a creature takes damage equal to its health, it dies. At the end of each turn, each creature regenerates its complete health.

Creatures can attack one per round, only in your turn. They can also choose, instead of attacking, to use a tap ability (Tap abilities can be played at any time, but only once a round.) Creatures can't attack on the round they are summoned.

Creature cards can only be played on your turn.

-----Creature Abilities-----

Blocker: the creature can block attacks directed at your shields.

Regenerate: when the creature is killed, a gravestone with 1 health spawns, if this gravestone survives till the begin of your next turn, the creature is revived.

Sneak: This creature can't be blocked.

Thief: Whenever this creature attacks a shield, you draw a card.

First Strike: When this creature attacks it deals damage first, only if it's target survives it's attack, does it take damage.

Wall: Walls can't attack.

Loot: Whenever a unit with loot attacks a shield, the owner of the shield discards a card.

Haste: This creature can attack on the turn it is summoned.

-----Instants-----

Instants are cards that can be played at any moment. They cause various effects ranging from drawing cards to dealing damage.

-----Enchantements-----

Enchantments are cards that improve or worsen a creatures ability. They can be played at any moment.

-----The Graveyard-----

Whenever a card exits play (creature is destroyed, instant played, etc...) it goes to the graveyard. Certain cards can return cards from the graveyard or interact with them.

--------------------

The basic system is complete, and currently four decks are available.

Also if you have any idea for decks or cards, just say them.

Dances with Dragons Deck

Wyrmfell Kobold (1/1 Blocker)
*Chillspawn Dragon (0/3 Blocker)
*Earthfury Dragon (2/2)
*Ragefire Dragon (3/1)
*Dracolich (5/5)
*Bogbrand Dragon Queen (1/4 Can summon Wyrmlings (1/1))
*Dragonspawn Channeler (1/1 Ability: deal 1 damage to target)
*Dragon Hoard: draw 2 cards
*Draconic Fury: target creature +2 attack, +1 health
*Ice Storm: deal 2 damage to target

The Dead have risen again! Deck

Drudge Skeleton (1/1 Regenerate)
*Grave Digger (2/3 When Gravedigger enters play, return one creature card from your graveyard to your hand.)
*Rambling Ghoul (2/2 Sneak)
*Foul Imp (2/1 Thief)
*Swamp Blob (4/4 When Swamp Blob enters play, one of your shields takes 3 damage.)
*Zombie Rotter (1/1 Ability: pay two essence, destroy Zombie Rotter, deal 3 damage to target)
*Twilight Webspinner (2/2 Ability: target creature can't attack next round)
*Mind Rot: oponent discards one card
*Cannibalize: remove up to 3 cards in opponents graveyard, one of your shields heals 2 damage for every card removed.
*Befoul: destroy target essence of energy

Defenders of the Amethyst City deck

Eager Cadet (1/2 Blocker)
*Larian Longbow (2/1 First Strike)
*Amethyst Apprentice (1/1 Elusive Ability: Tap -> Gain 1 Essence
*Water Elemental (3/3 Blocker)
*Sage Owl (1/2 When Sage Owl enters play, you draw a card.)
*Wall of Ice (0/5 Blocker Wall)
*Banish: Remove target from the game
*Rod of Ruin: Summons a rod of ruin (ability: tap, 2 essence -> deal 1 damage to target)
*Helgren's Horn: Draw 1 creature card from your deck
*Giant Growth: target gains 3 attack and health till end of turn

Denizens of the Deep
*Darzani Looter (2/2 Loot)
*Overconfident Apprentice (1/2 Tap -> sacrifice, deal 1 damage to each opposing creature.
*Deeptide Elf (2/1 tap -> untap target)
*Whirlpool Drake (3/2 Reshuffle hand)
*Wandering Spirit (1/3 Tap-> Target doesn't take damage next time it is attacked.
*Darzani Royal Guard (5/4)
*Net of Corruption: At start of turn affected unit takes X damage, with X increasing each turn.
*Unsummon: return target creature to owner's hand.
*Siren's Song: Take control of target creature.
*Disenchant: Remove all enchantments of target creature.

Changes

-----Changes in v0.3.2-----
* Tap ability Zombie Rotter now refunds mana correctly
* Player 2 can now correctly choose a deck
* Drudge Skeleton revives correctly
* Ghoul has mana now
* Tombstones can be attacked correctly
* Blockers now work correctly

-----changes in v0.4-----
*added Defenders of the Amethyst city deck
*minor fixes

-----changes in v0.4.1-----
*Rambling Ghoul now deals damage correctly
*First strike nerfed: now only works if creature is attacking
*Web (Buff) is now properly removed when creature dies.

-----changes in v0.4.2-----
*Revised the sytem that prevented players from summoning creatures out of turn.
*Changed the map layout to a much smaller size.

------changes in v0.4.3-----
*Fixed bug with card drawing

-----changes in v0.5-----
*added Denizens of the Deep deck

-----changes in v0.5.1-----
*fixed various bugs in the Denizens of the Deep deck

-----changes in v0.6-----
*added an all new deck building system that allows building of custom decks

-----changes in v0.6.1-----
*added Raging Goblin Card
*added haste
*added custom minimap image

-----changes in v0.6.2-----
*some minor bug fixes
*added Goblin Raider card
*added Fireball card
*added some screenshots

-----changes in v0.6.3-----
*Information in the quest menu added
*Fixed various bugs concerning deck building.
*added three new cards: Goblin Warboss, Goblin Catapult, Heart of Flame
*added message that shows what card is played.

-----changes in v0.6.4-----
*fixed a bug causing the choosing timer not to end resulting in two initiative rolls and a general screwup of the turn system.:p

-----changes in v0.6.5-----
*finally fixed the premade deck buying bug

-----changes in v0.7-----
*the map is now four players. Some cards have been disabled due to adapting problems. This will be fixed as soon as possible.

-----changes in v0.7.1-----
*fixed a bug that screwed up player 2's turn sequence etc...

-----changes in v0.7.2------
*Cannibalize and Mind Rot have been added again.
*Several small fixes.

Some Screenshots

Zombie Rotter using special ability
screenshotC1.jpg

Choosing premade deck
screenshotC2.jpg

Building custom deck - creature cards
screenshotC3.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE

SnowCrow

Reaction score
I tested it. The idea was fun but very similiar to MtG. I think this game has potential if you make clear tips and instructions.

I couldn't attack with my dragon, is it bugged or is this so early version that you can't attack yet? :f

Keep on working. :)

bananaHUNT

You can change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Sound interesting, but not blowing me out of my shoes yet.
I tested it and it was fun to play. It could be really good if you keep on working on it.

First of all I thought the layout was really wierd and it confused me a bit in the beginning. I do not know MtG or other card games so maybe this is like the standard layout but not really clear to beginners.
The concept is good, but imo you should spice it up with some fancy summoning and attack effects, or it would quickly get boring. This kind of game really needs this, but I understand maybe you just haven't worked on it yet.
Another thing I didn't really get is your hero stars with red health bar. Can't you make the Hero's max hp lower? Or are you gonna use this in other game modes somehow?
Overall this could be a very cool map, I've never played anything like it, but it just needs alot more variety, different decks and spells, special effects, toggleable terrain maybe? (I've seen this in Wartego-really really cool), anyways keep working on it! :D

Ideas for other decks could be Elemental(Fire,Water,Air,Earth etc.), Poison, Ghost, Electrical, Forest, Ice, or a combination of those. Just look up Pokemon types :p It will help you i think! :)

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
@ Snowcrow

That depends, you can summon creatures in two squares, defender and attacker, only creatures summoned in the attacker square can attack.

@GeertPingen

The layout can be confusing since i wanted units to be able to be attackers and defenders (sorta like defensive and aggressive stance in Yugi-oh), without resorting to a difficult blocking system such as magic.
Edit: I'm planning to change this and just giving certain creatures a "blocker" trait.

The Hero starts with low life because, just like in magic, it is possible to increase your health above 20.

I do plan to add special effects, a lot more cards, possiblility to construct your own decks, etc... but I only started working on the map 2 days ago. First I'm planning to include a clear tutorial, so that everyone who plays the game, also really understands it.

Thanks both for playing the map and for the feedback.

L

Lanan

I played it, and i think this map has potential.
I didnt get to play against someone but just checked it out a little to see how it looked.
I liked the structure of the map and the gameplay. The way it's played out is interesting and the map seems fun to play 1v1 as it should. I believe this map will be great when it's done and everything is sorted out.

Bugreport - Sometimes i couldn't make an action and when i pressed "End round" the button didn't work and i had to wait 30 seconds.

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
@ Lanan

thx for playing the map. The bug you experienced could be because you clicked end turn in the short period between turns. I've adjusted some things and it shouldn't happen anymore.

General:

I've uploaded a new version with these small changes:

I've removed the attacker and defender square since this was confusing. Now, some units will just have an ability called "blocker". As long as you have at least one of these creatures in play, you're opponent can't attack your deckmaster.

Also I've reduced the number of essences to only one because the different kinds didn't play a roll yet.

I've also cleaned up the tooltips and made them clearer.

Fulla

Evil Overlord
Reaction score
Gave it a quick try, has alot of potential IMO.

I recommend you alter the terrain to be more simple, straight forward & smaller. You shouldn't have to scroll around should all be visible, prefably zoom out a bit if necessary. Heres is how I think it should be:
- Blue Circle = Your Caster/Player
- Blue Rows = Defensive Row
- Red Rows = Offensive Row
- Red Circle = Combat Zone
CardGame.jpg

I thought I'd give some input on how I think game should work following the above pick.

- Creatures can be summoned to the defensive OR offensive row.
- Only creatures in the offensive row can attack, unless they have a special ability stating otherwise.
- Creatures in the defensive row cannot be attacked unless their offensive row is clear. (Some units with abilities may be able to by passs).
- When a creatures attack another creatures, they both briefly teleport to combat zone, attack each other then back if still alive.
- Creatures can be moved between rows.
- Creatures may only perform one action per turn, change row, attack, cast spell.

A few other things:
  • The Bloodmage model would probably look better for a caster/player.
  • Why only 4 cards/items at start? 6 would be much better.
  • I'd also focus mainly on weenie creatures with minimal costs for now, to get a fast game going.
  • Perhaps a few artifacts/items as well to throw on your creatures.

A few creatures you could use:
  • Grunt - High Hp / Low Dmg - Cheap mana cost
  • Assassin - Med Hp / Med Dmg - Can attack units without being attacked back.
  • Archer - Low Hp / Med Dmg - Goes on back/defensive row but can still attack & reach both enemy rows
  • Skeleton - Med Hp / Med Dmg - Regenerates hp alot quicker each turn
  • Artificer - Low Hp / Low Dmg - Can create a random item on a friendly creatures once per turn

Have fun

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
@ Fulla:

Thanks for playing the map and thanks for all the feedback. Concerning the problem with the two regions, as you can read in the above post, I've gotten rid of the two regions, with now only one region. However, there are creatures with the blocker ability which prevent the oponent from attacking your deckmaster.

Also, I'm not using the bloodmage model, because nine of ten card game maps use this, and i didn't feel like copying that.

Also, I start with four items, because like in many tcg, the player who has the first turn, skips drawing a card. The other player then has the advantage of do drawing a card to counter the disadvantage of going second and this is not possible if you start with six items.

Your assissin idea is going to be implemented, since i was already planning to include a "first strike" ability like in magic. Bassicly, when two creatures fight, the creature with first strike deals damage first, and only if the other creature survives, he gets to deal damage.

I'm also planning to include various new creature abilities, such as trample (if you deal more damage then the opposing creature's health, you deal the remainder to the opposing deck master), elusive (creature can't be attacked), etc...

Fulla

Evil Overlord
Reaction score
- I would make it start with 5 cards then.
- Ranged units could simply have first strike
- Assasin could have a sneak attack ability, where he just deals direct dmg to target unit OR player without needing to attack. (Can bypass blockers straight onto the Player).
- Another ability similiar to trample could be multi attack, like the Hydra/Chimera model can attack multiple units at once.

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
@ Fulla

I'll change it to 5 cards at startup

General:

I'm currently changing some aspects about the map, my brother pointed out that you shouldn't be able to see the 'hand' of the opponent. If you see the hand, you lose a lot of the element of suprise. That's why I've come with the following sollution: you can't see the opposing caster, nor attack him. However there are three Shields protecting the caster that can be targeted, when you destroy these Shields, the caster becomes visible and with one final attack you can kill him.

Also, i'm changing the layout of the map a bit.

The health of the Shields will be 10, so you'll have a total of 30 hit points protecting your caster. This is a raise to the previous amount. I've done this because, unlike in magic where every unit can block, only certain creatures can block, so you lose health a lot faster.

I'm working on these changes now, and i'll upload a new version with these changes and hopely and new deck.

Until then, plz tell me your opinion on these changes.

Fulla

Evil Overlord
Reaction score
Hang on, theres a simple option in gameplay constants show/hide enemy inventories, that would make it alot easier.
Shields are probably unneccessary, perhaps just make a spell that does something like that :p

Personally thou, if you really wanted to be flashly Id make the cards actual units, organised in a row, infront of caster. But now we are getting a bit complex for coding etc. :p
That way you could have unlimited cards (althoguh I'd still cap it anyways) & the actual 'cards' could have several options, like summon creature in offensive mode, or defensive mode, or discards this card to do something special etc. etc.

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
@ Fulla

Thx for the suggestion for the inventories, I've changed it.
Also, I like the shield mechanic, because I'm also planning to include cards based on these shields.

Your suggestion sounds very cool, but then there is still the problem of shrouding your deck and the map will need to be bigger to accomodate your hand and in my opinion it will also complicate the map for the players. But I really appreciate you're help, you're suggestions have been very helpful.

General:

I've uploaded a new map. I've changed some cards in the dragon deck and included the shield system and revised the lay-out.

Currently, i'm planning on including a graveyard, where cards go after they're played and then adding cards that do things with your graveyard.
I'm also planning to include extra decks and creature abilities.
I'm also planning to add an ability to your deckmaster for when you don't draw any essences. Bassicly, instead of playing cards on a turn, you can spawn an essence, but you'll also lose all you're mana.

Edit: I've uploaded a small new update.
A bug causing Wyrmling to have zero attack is fixed.
Added two new abilities for the deckmaster
-summon card: sacrifice an essence, draw a card, usable only once per turn
-summon essence: only ussable if you haven't played a card yet this turn, uses up all your mana, usable only once a turn, spawn an essence

Fulla

Evil Overlord
Reaction score
For now I'd mainly concentrate on 1 good all round deck.
Make as many creatures with cool abilities you can then start thinking of splitting them up into seperate decks.

A few other creatures just thought of:
- Bane Elemental - When it dies damages all enemy units by X
- Vampire - When it attacks gains a portion of life back
- Necromancer - Can raise/reanimate 1 unit from any graveyard once per turn.
- Nether Warrior - When in the gravyard, if there are 3 or more other units in their as well, return this card to your hand.
- Water Elemental - Can split into 2, once per turn.

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
True, but most decks in tcg's don't hold that many different cards, now i'm just making a few basic decks so the map is playable. Eventually, i'll include the option to make your own deck by choosing out of all the different cards.

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
I've uploaded a new version of the map

Changes:
Added a new deck: The dead have risen again!
Added the graveyard feature
Added two abilities to deckmaster: summon essence, summon card
Added deck choosing ability
Added various creature abilities

Feedback appreciated.

I had the idea of when the map is finished, making a custom ladder for the map. Would anyone be interested in that?

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
V 0.4 online

With a new deck with various new creatures and abilities: Defenders of the Amethyst city.

Again, feedback appreciated.

Fulla

Evil Overlord
Reaction score
Gave it another try, the decks/flow of game is getting better.

Opions:
  • The new arena shape is alot better, but it could definetly be a bit smaller & prefably zoom out camera a tiny bit, so players don't have to keep scrolling around.
    I had 2 creatures at top & 2 at bottom, which was annoying when intiating attacks etc.
    Skeletons for example look minuscule in an arena this size.
  • When trying to cast creatures in opponents turn, you've got a debug msg, this often misplaces the card in a different slot.
    A better method would be to make all cards that can only be cast in your turn have a requirement, such as say a castle. Then simply create/destroy a castle for each player dependong on who's turn it is.
  • I really dislike the shields, all they seem to do is slow the game down alot & add another things ppl's need to take in.
  • I don't quite understand the essence / creature thing. Can you only cast one creature per turn? If so, although perhaps I misunderstood why bother having essence in this case?
  • Although deck construction is still underway, consider adding a few draw cards etc. in decks.

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
@ Fulla:

* I'm gonna resize the arena some more
* Can you add requirements to items? I suppose you'll have to add them to the ability of the item? Because i thought of doing it that way, but I thought is was impossible.
* Shields were originally so i could hide the deck master. could be planning to remove them, but the problem with the hidden inventory is that I was also planning to include some reveal opponents hand cards in the game, and then I would have to shroud them.
* Each turn, you gain mana equal to 1 + the number of essences in play. You can play as many creatures as you like. I don't like the essence system a lot either, maybe i'm going to replace it. I'm thinking of just increasing the amoutn of mana you gain at the start of your turn by one a turn. I liked your suggestion concerning the defensive and offensive regions, I'm considering using that, but still thinking how I will implement this.(But the problem is, how to make the possiblity to summon in both regions, since you can't extract the target of an item being used?) (Also if i got rid of essence, you wouldn't have to draw it anymore, thus you would automatically have more usable cards)
* There are some draw cards: for example Dragon Hoard in deck 1, attacking with foul imp in deck 2, helgren's horn in deck 3, gravedigger in deck 2, etc...
Also your deckmaster has both a draw essence and a draw card ability you can use.

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
Added another deck with new creatures and features: Denizens of the Deep

Feedback appreciated.

Hildagarn

Reaction score
You can use The Draw card and sacrifice enemy essences and thats not right...

I think the dragon channeler's tap ability is imba if there are like 4 on the field

The defenders are just plain rigged

But i love the idea and card games....can i maybe have an open version to see how you got the triggers to work...ill give all credit to you of course

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.