Checking to see if I can run Starcraft 2 with these specs...

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Which is why I disagree with the people saying he can run it. He's got a pitiful integrated GPU.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Which is why I disagree with the people saying he can run it. He's got a pitiful integrated GPU.
Oh, geez...That really hurts!

The only thing we, including everyone who doesn't know, can do is to wait for the game to come out and run it.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
The problem is very often VGA that occupies Ram.

I reckon VGA has a higher access priority than CPU, which means your CPU will fucking idle the hell out of you while you run at 2 FPS.

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
Are these okay enough to run?

I know some of you wanted me to go buy the latest, newest computer specs, but, considering my allowances, it's practically impossible for me to buy a new laptop within 5 years.

It should be good enough to run, but you will probably have to lower graphical settings quite a bit, and you might still experience a drop in framerate if there's a lot of things happening on the screen.

The main thing that will drag SC2 down will probably be your video-card, because, bluntly put, laptop integrated video-cards... suck.

Im_On_56k

Hm...
Reaction score
From the blizzard store, StarCraft I recommends:
  • Windows 2000/XP/Vista
  • Pentium 90 or higher
  • 16 MB RAM
  • DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card
  • Microsoft-Compatible Mouse
  • 2X CD-ROM Drive for Game Play (4X for Cinematics)

StarCraft II increases some of them, but not much, considering that the original poster's computer will run fine with StarCraft II.
...wtf?

Are these okay enough to run?

I know some of you wanted me to go buy the latest, newest computer specs, but, considering my allowances, it's practically impossible for me to buy a new laptop within 5 years.
No it will not run. Why do you ask? Assuming this website I found with a simple google search is at least somewhat accurate.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-X3100.2176.0.html
With their sample of games your graphics card will utterly fail, especially on something like SC2.

Even if that website is completely wrong. 1.6 dual core processor and 2gb ram would crash and burn in the case your graphics card doesn't.

What is the chance my assumptions are also wrong? Slim to none in this case. Don't hold your breath.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Hm...Blizzard had announced that SC2 runs on pixel shader 2.0 (Mine is 3.0), and it needs 1 GB of RAM (I have 2).

I still have high hopes.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Blizzard is generally good about making games able to run on systems that aren't that powerful. But they are also good about still being able to take advantage of the really powerful systems.
What's in it for them if half the people who would buy the game can't play it on their machines? I think they will try to make it as easy as possible to play it, even if it may not look that good on older machines.

Hildagarn

Reaction score
From the blizzard store, StarCraft I recommends:
  • Windows 2000/XP/Vista
  • Pentium 90 or higher
  • 16 MB RAM
  • DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card
  • Microsoft-Compatible Mouse
  • 2X CD-ROM Drive for Game Play (4X for Cinematics)

StarCraft II increases some of them, but not much, considering that the original poster's computer will run fine with StarCraft II.

This is a very sad comment. your going to need a lot more than 16 MB or RAM >.> like A LOT more.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
With SCII, for high performance, I'm looking at around 3 to 4 GB ram :-/ Seriously.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
With SCII, for high performance, I'm looking at around 3 to 4 GB ram :-/ Seriously.
2 GB is enough...There is a max threshold for all games to be played with high performances using lower system requirements.

Like Starcraft, the max threshold is actually 64 RAM.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Weren't you also the one who thought an integrated video card could run SCII? :p But, as I said, we shall see.

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
Blizzard is generally good about making games able to run on systems that aren't that powerful. But they are also good about still being able to take advantage of the really powerful systems.
What's in it for them if half the people who would buy the game can't play it on their machines? I think they will try to make it as easy as possible to play it, even if it may not look that good on older machines.

That's 100% correct. They actually take pride in being able to please both the low-end and high-end computers at the same time.

They just recently posted on twitter explaining that they're putting effort into refining the artwork for the 'High' detail settings.

"The #StarCraft2 programming team is optimizing the interactive story mode for all graphic settings, especially "High".

Here's the twitter link

--Beetle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.