Checking to see if I can run Starcraft 2 with these specs...

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Hardware Information:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, Genuine,
358MB Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100,
2 GB DDRAM,
Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2330 (1.6 GHz),
Acer Aspire 5720-4126

Are these okay enough to run?

I know some of you wanted me to go buy the latest, newest computer specs, but, considering my allowances, it's practically impossible for me to buy a new laptop within 5 years.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
I think your system should be fine, although I would recommend a better processor and graphics card.
They keep boasting about how Starcraft 2 is "designed to run on a wide variety of systems", but it's probably better to have a stronger system than what they think.

If this doesn't help, try googling 'starcraft 2 system requirements,' and you'll find an answer :p

EDIT: I think your laptop should be fine, you might lose out a bit from low processor power (1.6ghz), but a dual-core processor is usually good enough for most games out today.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean, I can't run Starcraft 2 with minimum settings?

Dest

Reaction score
If your computer can play Warcraft III, then you can play StarCraft II. But when it's released, I recommend looking the system requirements before purchasing.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I have higher settings on my laptop (it depends on the integrated GPU though), and I'm unsure as to whether my laptop will be able to play it on minimum settings.

Code:
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, Genuine,
Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M with 128MB-830MB
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T3200 (2.0 GHz),

It can play Warcraft III... but not with very many objects on-screen.

I'd say that it's very unlikely you will be able to run the game.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>If your computer can play Warcraft III, then you can play StarCraft II

Are you kidding?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score

Are you kidding?
There's a saying...

"We broke our renderer."

I think Blizzard is trying to fix the problem to make Starcraft 2 playable, just like Warcraft 3.

sqrage

Reaction score
There's a saying...

"We broke our renderer."

I think Blizzard is trying to fix the problem to make Starcraft 2 playable, just like Warcraft 3.

That was referring to their prerendered cut-scenes.

And I really don't see a 1.6 GH Pentium 4 and onboard video card playing SC2. And by playable by a lot of people they mean with people who are 2 or 3 generations behind the current hardware. Yours is pretty much ancient these days. Not to mean any offense, it's just better than getting your hopes up.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Ancient? Pentium 4? I'm wondering if Dual-Core is actually 2 Pentium 4 cores...

Each core is 1.6 GHz, and I have dual-core. So, my comptuer can clock up to 3.2GHz. Is my math correct?

sqrage, I still need your reply.

sqrage

Reaction score
Core 2 Duo is not 2 Pentium cores. It's a completely new and much more efficient core.

And then there's the i7 cores which are even newer and better yet. And in September they are supposed to be coming out with 6 core i7s and then a whole new core again next year. Of course that wont be the standard, but just saying it is a whole new core, not the same Pentium stuff.

And no that's not really the way dual cores work. I mean typically each core processes something else and Starcraft 2 should definitely support multi-core utilization because it's so new, but I really doubt it's efficient enough to say it doubles your clock speed.

Dest

Reaction score

Are you kidding?

From the blizzard store, StarCraft I recommends:
  • Windows 2000/XP/Vista
  • Pentium 90 or higher
  • 16 MB RAM
  • DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card
  • Microsoft-Compatible Mouse
  • 2X CD-ROM Drive for Game Play (4X for Cinematics)

StarCraft II increases some of them, but not much, considering that the original poster's computer will run fine with StarCraft II.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Let's put things into perspective:

If you lag playing WC3, you'll lag playing SC2. A lot.

Say, if you get 30 FPS in WC3, you'll more than likely get somewhere around 10 FPS (or 0).

Trust me, the models in SC2 have a lot more polys than the ones in WC3. Just the terrain will probably make you lag >_<

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
be careful of that acer laptop. i have a newer version of yours with 3 gigs of ram and a 2.0ghz cpu but it has the same video card and it can overheat extremely easy. i bought the laptop one night got windows set up and the next day the video card died and they had to replace it. a week later i installed wc3 and ran it and behold the video card started artifacting like crazy and the game just flashes black all over the place. so while maybe i was just unlucky enough to get two crappy laptops in a row, i would be careful how long and were you play sc2 on the laptop since the integrated video card is horrible and overheats alot.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's put things into perspective:

If you lag playing WC3, you'll lag playing SC2. A lot.

Say, if you get 30 FPS in WC3, you'll more than likely get somewhere around 10 FPS (or 0).

Trust me, the models in SC2 have a lot more polys than the ones in WC3. Just the terrain will probably make you lag >_<

That seems to be a bit rough...:( Check this out. A few people seems to be good at the specs clearly...:confused:

be careful of that acer laptop. i have a newer version of yours with 3 gigs of ram and a 2.0ghz cpu but it has the same video card and it can overheat extremely easy. i bought the laptop one night got windows set up and the next day the video card died and they had to replace it. a week later i installed wc3 and ran it and behold the video card started artifacting like crazy and the game just flashes black all over the place. so while maybe i was just unlucky enough to get two crappy laptops in a row, i would be careful how long and were you play sc2 on the laptop since the integrated video card is horrible and overheats alot.
Really? Does leaving my computer on for a week with "The Sims 2" playing counts? I did that a few times this year at my cousin's house. He always told me to leave the computer on, so that he can chat with his nocturnal friends.
*all* integrated video cards are horrible IMHO :p

Nivida and ATi Radeon integrated graphic cards count?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Well, everyone is guessing ;P That's my guess. Why would SC2 lag less than WC3 o_O' Makes no sense to me.

And you gotta take in the models and their poly count.

nVidia and ATI integrated cards are, IMHO the top cards, and their integrated cards aren't half bad, but integrated cards are still integrated ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.