Classroom: Persuation & Debate

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
There has recently been some discussion over whether or not a debate forum should be added to TheHelper. Right now, this is controversial and it is unknown if it will happen. However, if it does, it's usually best to know how to debate well. That's what this class is for!

Why Take This Class?
  • Because you want to win more arguments with people.
  • You like politics.
  • You want to better express your opinion.

What will this class cover?
  • Knowing your audience.
  • Organizing your thought.
  • Attacks on opposing side.
  • How not to flame.
  • How to beat flamers.
  • How to research. (Yeah, researching sounds boring but there are some tricks to make it go faster)
  • Other things that I haven't categorized yet.

This class will take place once a week and will cover different parts of the subject. Some light homework (only like 5-10 minutes or less) might be given at the end of the class. The homework would be obviously be optional, but +rep would probably be given for a good job. At the end of the class, I would hope we could have some sort of a debate over a voted upon subject. This might be hosted on TheHelper.net. However, if this is not allowed, the debate may be put in an AIM chatroom.

If you have any questions please ask. I'm not going to start the class until a decent number of people have shown interest. If you are interested just post that you are.
~Thanks.​

Interested Members
  1. esb
  2. Ninva
  3. aquter
  4. Uareanoob
  5. Sir Gordon
  6. Mizuio Ken
  7. Wiseman 2
  8. Ninja sheep
  9. Matemeo

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
So this is only on politics?

And to beat flamers is to ignore them. Don't you think?

I'll join.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
Though I've never been a big person on politics, I sure as heck wanna give this a shot :D

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
While I myself won't be joining, I do like the attitude you are taking with this. It's this type of thing that the forum needs if a debate forum ever has a chance at existing.

Best of luck! :)

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I might like to join, but as yet there are several problems, the main one being that I'm in a completely different time zone (more than likely) so I would probably miss any debate.
Second problem being that it's unlikely I'll be able to keep on the pc for long enough...

I will see, and be back with an answer ASAP.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
well, I'd like to join but I'm european and have same problem as the guy above me. This forum is gmt -5 and i'm in gmt +1... Wich means 6 hours of time difference... I gues... However: If I can join i will.

Jessi

I'm so green. Like a Machine.
Reaction score
i think this should be done on a forum, to keep an organized view of what's happening. Besides, forums is the style in which most debates / discussions take place, now, and is radically different from real-time chatting or talking, as is chatting different than a verbal discussion.

By the way, Im not too interested in joining, but I would like to watch.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This isn't a classroom. It's more of a tutorial. Unless of course, you are you doing it Live on some chat server.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
nice, getting in some good numbers already!

I'll start working on the first class and it will probably begin in a week

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Ehh nvm XD
I forgot I know how to debate from Model United Nations...
Hopefully its the same kind
but I will be here if you need help :p w/e

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I'm not too bad at debating anyway. I am also thinking that Jessi is right; holding the debate on the forum would be better and discourage pointless entries. And those of us in the EU time zones would be able to input too :)

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
I'm not too bad at debating anyway. I am also thinking that Jessi is right; holding the debate on the forum would be better and discourage pointless entries. And those of us in the EU time zones would be able to input too :)

yah, thats what im hoping for but we have to get mod permission for that first

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Here's hoping...

And on another note, will the subject always be the same (i.e. political), or will it vary? I wouldn't say no to another subject of relevance (though at this moment I will admit I'm a bit devoid of ideas).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.