Could we add a "Bumping" feature?

tom_mai78102

Reaction score
Sounds plain? Not really.

What I think it should help people, is that it could help them "bump" their threads up a notch, instead of wasting the threads' posts, and time typing "Bump" on one of the posts.
If you see this, I'm agreeing with this bump feature.
It would also give an extra edge to the administrators, if they want to post a "Please Note" thread, they could just "bump" it, so it could warn them the right and wrong.

Would anyone agree with this "bump" feature? :D

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
We have this option at GH.com, with the invisionfree software. I find it useful in bumping important announcement threads, but I don't think members have access to it. They don't really need it since they can bump with a post, which I guess means I'm not exactly for or against it, but somewhere in between :)

Besides, making that feature might be a hassle, one we don't need. :p

tom_mai78102

Reaction score
So you are saying that this new "bump" feature is a hassle in thehelper.net, right?

Or you are saying that because everyone is satisfied without the feature right now?

One thing is for sure, I should make this thread a poll, instead of asking.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Bumping is already heavily abused, even with having to work on it.
"One-Click Bump (tm)" is a "feature" we won't add any time soon. Preferably later.

A

alzidaney

Its safer to just type in "bump". Using such a feature would undoubtedly attract abusers of such a feature. Sticking to the 3 or 5 day bump (depending on the forum) should be sufficient.

chris

Reaction score
At least when the word bump is typed it so much easier to tell that the topic has been bumped..you would lose this and then you would also get the forum idiot abusing the feature...which would mean mor for the mods to do when they try and stop them...

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
On my forums, if the user doubleposts ( "bumping" ) it combines them into one post, so they don't get an extra post count. It also makes the topic say its new with replys :)

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
DDRtists said:
On my forums, if the user doubleposts ( "bumping" ) it combines them into one post, so they don't get an extra post count. It also makes the topic say its new with replys :)

Hey that's a pretty good idea! Around some people got around 100 posts just by bumping their old threads and tutorials.

tom_mai78102

Reaction score
OKay, since a lot of people thinks that the bumping feature is going to abuse this forum. Take a look below.

New Idea: Make a "Bump" go expire when one member press it once. Then after a week, they could bump it again. You could add more time to it, like two weeks, or a month, maybe a year.

And if the user "bumps" using this feature, the post will go instantly to "Bumped Forum", which will collect all the posts and threads that has been bumped by it.
I hope it will work!
Just a suggestion. Will it work? :D

tom_mai78102

Reaction score
It wastes time.

It wastes posts.

And it wastes the Mods' time to redo the changes made.

--------------------------

How is it less annoying than posting "bump"?

Someone sees your post as "Bump!", they would think that the post that the user did is really desperate on getting the answers. So, they would ignore it.

If you didn't post the "Bump!", then they would assume that it is the admins, or the SM, or maybe the M, would like for that user to post an answer.

You post bump, you would get (n/n+1) posts every time.
You use the feature "Bump!", you would get (n/n-1)+1 posts everytime.

If the math is wrong, let me know. I seriously doubt that it's wrong.

Any more comments from the higher people? :confused:

tom_mai78102

Reaction score
Whitesock said:
Well if you limit this to responsible people, which it already is, then your fine.

Yeah! If it is for being responsive, then it would help a lot. :D

But one thing is sure, though.

I wonder if this is going to be thehelper.net's next added feature?? :confused:

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
A way you could prevent abuse, would be to add something that only allows them to bump it within 24 hours. Then you could just make it go to an error page of some sort that says "You have already bumped this thread recently. Please wait 24 hours before bumping a thread." Or something like this. :)

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Or, we could just post, like we always have, and not make it unnecessarily complicated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.