Destiny going mass queens - Game Mechanics

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I was lurkin the interwebs when i came across a post that stated "Everybody in platinum or under should watch this" and he had a link to this video:

[youtube]m1UN98vOKuk[/youtube]

The video is of destiny on a smurf account, going from bronze and progressing through leagues going just mass queens (Game one of many). nothing else, only mass queens. His argument is that if you are in platinum or lower, you should ignore EVERYTHING such as build orders, builds, scouting etc. and do nothing but work on game mechanics. and he was trying to prove that he could go with the worst possible build and win and advance through leagues purely on his game mechanic, and that if you want to get good that is what you need to work on, and that builds build orders and everything else is a waste of time at that level and is not going to help you improve until you are in diamond or higher. The main reason i posted this is to ask (as well as show others), what does he mean by game mechanics specifically? and what is the best way to improve said game mechanics? this comes right after i played with a masters friend of mine in a 2v2 and he asked me to do a 7 roach rush to compliment his 7pool (we won but he more or less directed everything i did, told me my build order) and i started looking up this 7 roach rush right after and came across that, and it said to not even focus on such things as builds. Would you guys agree with destiny, as in should i stop worrying about all that stuff and just practice said 'game mechanics' once i figure out exactly what they are? (i think i understood macro and micro is part of it, but i feel like there is more to it)

also, destiny and CombatEx are definately my 2 favourite sc2 players atm by far in terms of attitude, they are both actually so jokes.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> ...mass queens... worst possible build
Wait, what? :p

This is certainly interesting to watch though. Destiny is awesome. :)

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
> what does he mean by game mechanics specifically?

The things you do outside of combat.
The more "mechanical" stuff, like building Drones, getting upgrades, expanding, Larva inject, ... i.e. all that "boring" work you need to do to get a decent army.

The actual fighting and microing comes later.
If you have no income to speak of... there's no need either to worry about anything else, you already lost.

Going from Bronze to Silver is a simple matter of starting to use hotkeys instead of mouse-clicks :p

Whenever you go "damn, I need more workers", or "oops, supply-blocked again", or "hm... his upgrades are far better than mine", or "wow, he has an expansion here too?", or ... that's when you need to note that you aren't just there yet.

> what is the best way to improve said game mechanics?

Practice.
And, obviously, but you have to actively look for it, determine the problems.

Though, knowing a couple build-orders is somewhat important.
The idea being that you go into the game with an actual plan, instead of figuring it out live.

The problem is that there's a lot of people that think having said BO is the end all be all idea.
It's not.

If you don't understand the big idea behind that build you're using... well, you can't adjust stuff as needed, you may get behind, you may not see the timings and other dependencies, ... i.e. you use somewhat presumably good but still easily lose.
Working on the above mechanics helps understand those finer points and improves your gameplay.

Additionally, once you master base-, and other, managements, you'll also notice that you don't get behind just because you were busy microing your Marines (or whatever) in some large fight.
As in, you still "just do it".

Ever noticed how "the best", for example get an expansion up and running while pushing?
How about you? Do you have the time to start a base when in combat? Pros do. That's because that part of the game has long since passed into the "automagic" part of their play. They don't need to think about it anymore.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
In short, mechanics is more or less your macro- Constant worker/supply/building/army production, expanding at right times, upgrading.

Destiny's idea is that to around gold level you can just A-move your opponents if you outmacro them. From mid platinum, onward builds matter. In diamond unit composition does matter (for example when you go ling muta bling how much mutas and blings should I have?) In master micro and scouting matter, in grand master, it is like in master, but everything is on a MUCH higher level.

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
" Mass Queens. It is my density! " (*)

(*) and I hope you get the reference without a. reading this, and b. help from mighty Google. Can always dream, can't one? :p

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy sounds to me like an asshole. what is he? Masters League or so? and playing in bronze league just to show everyone how good he is?
One could say the idea "sounds" interesting but if you see it from the eyes of all those bronze players who just want to compete with other players of the same quality and they get master league players who taunt them and say something like "i gonna beat you with only queens this game sucker" i doubt anyone could still like this guy. i definitely dont.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
if you see it from the eyes of all those bronze players who just want to compete with other players of the same quality

well he is doing this to prove a point and help those bronzies, but yes,for those intending to stay in bronze league and play melee, it is taunting - but there is already something wrong with that before he comes along

P.S. - sev, maybe I will try this next time we monobattle, since brood lords can't attack air

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Destiny is a skilled zerg player, he was the first one to popularize infestors, and create the zerg deathball style of play. He is an outstanding player, although like most geniuses he is an asshole.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what he wants but i saw what he does.

he says everybody from bronze to gold is too bad in this game to beat him if he goes mass queens.

i really hope some smart enough terran would believe him and just fly to an island expansion, block every last bit of space off so that no nydus nor a drop could happen and then wait for destiny to give up.

no matter what he did in the past, i dont like this guy, for me he is nothing but an annoyance.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking in the past, Dimaga has proven that mass queens IS viable, but I suppose the community which knows that either doesn't care about destiny enough to let him in on that or they think that his point has some truth in it.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
i really hope some smart enough terran would believe him and just fly to an island expansion, block every last bit of space off so that no nydus nor a drop could happen and then wait for destiny to give up.

someone did that on scrap from the beggining, while stream cheating, and still lost. overlord drops owned him. Destiny was a GM in season 2

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.