DestroyGroup function

Somebody

Reaction score
I'm a little confused as to how the function really works. I know the function clears the spaces in memory currently occupied by units in the group, but will it also set the group to an empty group? or do you have to use the groupclear function as well?

I ask because I'd like to use a group variable twice in one function, but clear the group partway through the function so i can set it to a different bunch of units

O, and if you remove a unit from a group, will destroygroup still clear the space in memory occupied by the removed unit? Or will it only clear the spaces in memory occupied by units currently in the group?

thx in advance :)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have to create groups to be able to use them
JASS:
local group g = CreateGroup()

The variable itself will be 'empty' otherwise, and unusable.

Destroying it won't set it to an empty group. It'll be set to nothing, and the variable will need to be set to a group again. (CreateGroup())

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Use DestroyGroup() after you finish using it if it is created through CreateGroup(). I prefer GroupClear since you will use it for many times. :p

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
DestroyGroup is kinda useless function, you never really need it.

All GroupEnums can be done with one global group just fine.
If you need to store units for group and keep them there for example sfor ome IsUnitInGroup checks, you should recycle your groups.

There is system called GroupUtils in wc3c.net , you should check it out.

Just dont use DestroyGroup, it might be good for GUI users for cleaning leaks, but if you do Jass you dont really need it.

GroupClear is used to remove all units from your group, it doesnt destroy your group object so you can use that still use that same group for something else.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Aye, recycling is great when you pull it off. You can recycle groups, timers, regions, rects, dialogs, quests, multiboards, leaderboards, timerdialogs, texttags (with proper coding), units, some triggers... anything I missed?

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I think wc3 allready recycles texttags, since you can only have 100 of them per player, etc.
edit. Their handless ids are like pre allocated.

but yea, timers, groups and units. Those should be recycled whenever you can.

Akolyt0r

Reaction score
sad thing is, thats a LOT of work to recycle units ...except for dummies, which should always be recycled.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Depends on your map. For example AoS maps, hero arenas, or some footmen frenzy styled maps, or tower defenses, or zombie survivals, unit recycling is dead easy.

For some more comlicated maps it can be a pain in the ass, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.