Did we land on the moon?

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
About his "the moon should be hot thingy?"

Well, I am 14 and I can safely say that the reason why the moon isn't hot is because there's no air in it.

You need air to have temperature. Well, except for pure coldness.

Am I right?

BTW, don't be rude, mistakes happen, beliefs end up wrong and ect.

The sun emits radiation, and radiation doesn't need a medium to transfer heat.

Also, if you have a halfway decent telescope then you can see the flipping lunar lander on the surface of the moon. And as someone stated earlier, Mythbusters disproved a bunch of Lunar Landing conspiracy theories. It happened, don't kid yourself. People who think it never happened are uneducated and have no idea what they are talking about.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Vicboy, have you ever wondered why in the city it is hot and in the mountain it is cold? The sun rays heat the ground. The ground it the heat sourse, not the air. That is all there is to it. Also without air there isn't anything what can keep the heat for a longer time. + technology back then sucked. I am not sure.

I want to say yes, but a voice deep in my heart is telling me that this is a this is a lie.

Then again this can be just me.

Not really, it's more to do with the amount of carbon monoxide in the air. The atmosphere isn't as thick the further up you go so there is less carbon monoxide to hold the heat. Mountains have ground too bro.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
You probably mean carbon dioxide; IIRC it's around six thousand times as prevalent in our atmosphere as carbon monoxide, thankfully; swap the prevalence and half our hemoglobin would be screwed full time.

Faust

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
You all should go back to school...
Moon is COLD.
The Sun's rays heat anything it comes in contact with. Like air, here on Earth.
On the Moon, there is no air.

But the Sun doesn't only heat the air, it comes in contact with the surface.

The Moon and Earth have surface, but the former doesn't have an ATMOSPHERE.

Also note, that Suns are not the only things that radiate heat. EVERYTHING does.

So Sun gives us heat, and the Earth's surface radiates heat back to space.
But not all of it - because of the atmosphere.

The Moon doesn't have an atmosphere. Therefore all heat is radiated back to space.

The Moon therefore is very cold at "night". In daytime, it's still pretty cold.

And concerning the main topic, the landing on the Moon was most definitely REAL.
At first I too thought it's fake, I've seen the evidences... But I also read about the counter-evidences, explaining all of the stuff.
There was no question left in me. It's quite obvious.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
You all should go back to school...
Moon is COLD.
On the Moon, there is no air.

But the Sun doesn't only heat the air, it comes in contact with the surface.

The Moon and Earth have surface, but the former doesn't have an ATMOSPHERE.

Also note, that Suns are not the only things that radiate heat. EVERYTHING does.

So Sun gives us heat, and the Earth's surface radiates heat back to space.
But not all of it - because of the atmosphere.

The Moon doesn't have an atmosphere. Therefore all heat is radiated back to space.

The Moon therefore is very cold at "night". In daytime, it's still pretty cold.

no we shouldn't go back to school... you got part of it right Faust.

You said yourself, anything that comes in contact will be heated. In order to have light there must be energy, and energy given off by the sun heats the moon.
Mean surface temperature (day) 107°C
Mean surface temperature (night) -153°C
The air doesn't have any thing to do with the temperature, the amount of light/energy does.

Faust

Reaction score
Did you just misspelled Moon to Mean or wtf? rotfl :p

Air is being heating by the sun... And air heats air, and everything passes heat to everything nearby.
Therefore air slows it down. It traps part the heat it in, and locks part of it out.
It's like glass, come on.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
No, you did not land on the moon, I did;)
Don't everyone know that?:nuts:

Extremedesyr

Reaction score
sorry for my fantasylessness

fantasylessness, is that even a correct spelled word? anyway. If this was a poll then I wouldve voted for absolutely, yes. and with the waving flag... does E=MC2 count on the moon? coz then its not so weird.

oh yeh, and they did the moonlanding for only 2 hours between 'noon and night, watch discovery channel :p

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
does E=MC2 count on the moon? coz then its not so weird.
E=MC^2 says nothing beyond that the mass energy of a resting object is equal to the object's mass multiplied by the square of the speed of light.
So, 1 Kg of mass can be represented as 1 Kg of energy if you're using SR units (mass-energy equivalence). Or as 90,000,000,000,000,000 Joules if you're using SI units.
Hence why nukes, which convert mass energy into, well, BOOM energy, are rather powerful weapons.

But that really has nothing to do with the discussion.

Anyway, there seems to be confusion about how bodies get heated in this topic. The atmosphere does not have a monopoly on energy from the sun. This is because the atmosphere is highly transparent and thus doesn't get particles to collide with it all that often. It's also highly apparant to anyone who happens to be standing in sunlight.

The moon has very extreme temperatures both ways; on Earth, we have an atmosphere which normalizes heat, and most of our surface is water, which takes a LOT of energy transfer to achieve significant temperature change. We also have a twenty-four hour day cycle, thus keeping the heating and cooling periods over an area fairly smoothed out. The moon on the other hand has (almost) no atmosphere, has an extremely dry surface with notable H2O only in permanently shadowed polar spots, and has a very slow day/night cycle. So temperature not only changes easily, but the surface also gets blasted by photons for half a month straight followed by being shadowed for half a month straight.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
Did you just misspelled Moon to Mean or wtf? rotfl :p

Air is being heating by the sun... And air heats air, and everything passes heat to everything nearby.
Therefore air slows it down. It traps part the heat it in, and locks part of it out.
It's like glass, come on.

Mean as in Average.

so basically your saying if we somehow were very technologically advanced and could breath in space without the suits, we wouldn't feel any heat at all?

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I think that Faust actually has something there, not that it affects the topic that much, since the suits may or may not have been designed to stand that kind of heat. I am not that sure about the cold tho since it is harder to protect against and for the fact that we are not as resistant to cold as we are to heat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat

Here is basically what faust said and I will make another short version about it here:

Heat is when energy is transferred from one body or system to another, this means a molekule or atom.

I think that the whole thing is like this:
Sun emits photons.
Photons are either particles or waves, not sure if it has been proved which yet, right?

If they are particles: Then they bounce of other particles, thus transferring the speed by collision, with for example our air, skin, or any other material.

If they are waves: Then they would make molekules, such as those in our air, move. Kind of like an ordinary microwave heats up objects with it's electromagnetic waves.

Just for fun, here is a graph of the waves: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/EM_spectrum.svg

To the point: There is no air on the moon, the moon itself get's hot, am I wrong?
Thus making the moon emit some heat and the vacum of space cooling it down a bit perhaps.
In turn it might just be that those temperatures shown here earlier are taken by some kind of telescope or scanner, thus checking the moons temperature, not the area just above the surface, and if that is the case, then they are somewhat useless.
I am kind of grasping grass here or something, but I hope you get the whole picture.

Faust

Reaction score
Heat is instantly radiated away. Because of our atmosphere, there is a long delay between sunray coming in and heatray going out. And because of atmosphere, more comes in than goes out.

If you were in space without a suit and alive, would you feel cold or hot?
Well, where in space? Because around the Earth or Moon, it would be pretty damn cold. If you were to swim to Mercury or Venus, damn you are cooked and ready :p

That suit is of course designed to be warm.
Very neat piece of technology, the Moon landing was not in the stone age people.

EDIT: Here is a crappy drawing :p

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Eh, even around Mercury and Venus, IIRC the space itself is cold. It's not direct thermal energy from the sun through mediums that heats stuff so effectively, it's effectively all electromagnetic radiation.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Eh, even around Mercury and Venus, IIRC the space itself is cold. It's not direct thermal energy from the sun through mediums that heats stuff so effectively, it's effectively all electromagnetic radiation.

What are you talking about, I atleast did not understand that. You are talking about radiation while me and faust(atleast what I understood) where talking about photons?

No matter if there is radiation there would still be photons heating up everything in it's way, beacuse they are travelling in the speed of light, if I got it correct, and thus making everything in it's way very hot.

The longer you are from the sun the less photons hit you.

To prove this, draw a circle with a dot in it, from that dot you draw line in atleast 8 degrees, which means one cross and one X, and then see how the distance between the points get farther away the farther you draw them.
This also explains why the stars are noticable only as dots instead of lighting up the entire sky.

I think another fact that you forget here is what Miz said about all the people working on the project and the HUGE-budget they had, I really think they did it, no doubt about it.
Whatever facts people throw at things, they can almost every time be explained with some extremely simple little explanation, thus making them useless anyway:rolleyes:

So what if the flag was wiggling a bit, that can't be impossible.
I myself have managed to "burn" noodles while there still was water in the pan, and my old teachers said that it was impossible to do, but that did obviously not stop me from doing it:p

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
The photons are the radiation. And yes, taking sunlight around mercury will heat stuff up far more effectively than taking sunlight around Earth. My point was that regardless of where you are from here to Mercury, you can heat stuff in space and you can chill stuff in space depending on what you're doing.

And by the way, I'm not arguing that Americans didn't land on the moon. I throughly believe we did.

I'm simply pointing out issues with the scientific reasoning in this thread. Space around Mercury IS cold, it's the sunlight that heats stuff up. Likewise, space near Earth is cold, and, while sunlight won't heat stuff up as effectively over here as it will near Mercury, it can still inflict much heating.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
The photons are the radiation. And yes, taking sunlight around mercury will heat stuff up far more effectively than taking sunlight around Earth. My point was that regardless of where you are from here to Mercury, you can heat stuff in space and you can chill stuff in space depending on what you're doing.

Photons are NOT the "radiation", if anything they are electromagnetic radiation:p

And by the way, I'm not arguing that Americans didn't land on the moon. I throughly believe we did.

I never thought anything else, I just said that I believed that they did since I did not do that before:thup:

I'm simply pointing out issues with the scientific reasoning in this thread. Space around Mercury IS cold, it's the sunlight that heats stuff up. Likewise, space near Earth is cold, and, while sunlight won't heat stuff up as effectively over here as it will near Mercury, it can still inflict much heating.

Of course they would, but then on the other hand, they could cause just as much damage at that distance aswell, tho they are a little more spread, so if they where to put a magnifing glass over the earth it would do:p

If the light where not going out in a line but more in a nova-way, then it would not matter anything over such "small" distances, everything would burn unless it was shielded by something else;)

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
Photons are NOT the "radiation", if anything they are electromagnetic radiation
Photons are the radiation, they are the force carriers of electomagnetism. And since visible light is electomagnetic radiation, then the photons are the radiation.

I throughly believe we did.
Were you aboard the Apollo 11? If not, stop using the word "we".

If the light where not going out in a line but more in a nova-way, then it would not matter anything over such "small" distances, everything would burn unless it was shielded by something else
It IS going out in a nova-way (if you mean in a spherical fashion), but all of the sun's energy isn't being released in a single burst.
The reason we're not being burned by the sun's radiation, is because of the ozone layer, and the fact that light obeys the inverse-square law.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.