Do you think we'll get new mapmakers out of this editor?

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It's a pretty simple question, but when I think about it, I'm seeing them having a hard time and then giving up.

I was mainly playing WC3 ROC the whole time until I wondered what I could do with the editor. The thing about WC3 that made me stay was that I could edit units easily and then be proud of it.

One of my first maps was a Resident Evil type of game. And then I made Dynasty Warriors. All of my newbie maps were mainly unit edited with a little triggers, and a few years later, I moved to TFT where I edited Abilities and triggering more complicated stuffs.

Look at the Unit Editor now... You think any passerby of the Editor will like seeing so much undefined values?

Advice D.

Reaction score
I cried tears of happiness when I first saw the sheer amount of values. These turned to tears of frustration a few hours and a couple hundred failed attempts of unit duplication later.

Anyway, in its current state, it's far from newbie-friendly and will probably put newcomers off when they can't easily modify or duplicate units, but this should be subject to change as the game and editor approach release and user-friendliness/editor polish becomes a priority.

black.sheep

Reaction score
I reckon we'll have kickass maps made. People will want to improve or make maps like them so they will try. Also, dont forget people who will get Sc2 purely for modding/mapping purposes, I'm sure they'll add to the mapping society.

punwisp

Reaction score
Honestly unless they change it to be more user friendly and simpler to even make a unit, the Sc2 Mapper community won't flourish, and won't succeed where Wc3's left off.

Clockwork

Reaction score
I think there will be plenty of fun maps out there. Right now it seems like a lot of the WC3 experience map makers are finding out all the maps they had planned to make are not as straight forward in creation as previously thought, myself included. This should encourage new ideas in many ways.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
Honestly unless they change it to be more user friendly and simpler to even make a unit, the Sc2 Mapper community won't flourish, and won't succeed where Wc3's left off.

I both agree and disagree. If the new people finds the communities they may get the help to get into it.

But getting on with the GE on your own is very hard. I don't know how Blizzard will put it though.

Advice D.

Reaction score
Also, dont forget people who will get Sc2 purely for modding/mapping purposes, I'm sure they'll add to the mapping society.
Most if not all of that crowd would already be experienced mapmakers that mapped in WC3, and as such wouldn't be "new mapmakers".

Personally, I think people are overreacting about the differences from WC3. Going from WE to GE was less of a jump for me than StarEdit to WE, which very nearly put me off mapping despite having bought the game entirely for that purpose (and then finding out that you needed Frozen Throne to actually customize anything outside of units and items, and then finding out that you needed to update from there to get abilities buffs etc. Long painful process on dial-up, especially when the line would drop at 90% of the 50mb)
Hell, WE already had well-established mapping communities by then and a wealth of tutorials and resources to ease newcomers in, but I picked up GE faster without the help of tutorials than I did WE with them.

Of course, I only speak for myself, your mileage may vary and all that. So yeah, that's my two cents on the whole "Editor is too complex" subject.

punwisp

Reaction score
WE was still user friendly, so transferring over wasn't that bad. GE isn't exactly user friendly.

wc3 mapper pros wont be pros anymore once they reach GE, its a totally different experience, I don't find anything the same they can feel at home with other then triggers. Even that is more advanced.

So his term would be correct by saying *new mappers* Since for the most part most would be new, only a few would understand all the values, and its that knowledge thats been being passed down through tuts and such.

EDIT:

I take that back, terraining is very similar. Terraining just has better features for terraining. But lot of it is the same.

Advice D.

Reaction score
wc3 mapper pros wont be pros anymore once they reach GE, its a totally different experience, I don't find anything the same they can feel at home with other then triggers. Even that is more advanced.
Well, SC mapper pros weren't pros with WE initially either. When it comes down to it, the only major change was the Data Editor and how all of that is handled. If we break map design down to Terrain, Triggers and Data, WE was a change and upgrade in all three from StarEdit, while GE is a change in one and an upgrade in all three.

So his term would be correct by saying *new mappers* Since for the most part most would be new, only a few would understand all the values, and its that knowledge thats been being passed down through tuts and such.
I assumed he was referring to people who have not made maps for other games in the past.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.