DotA Phoenix Sun Ray Help

Dark_Seraph

Reaction score
Hey guys, my second time here and I still need some help. :nuts:

Now a few here might have seen Icarus the Phoenix for those who have played DotA, and have seen how awesome its skills was. But I'm focusing more on how its skills have come to be. And my question is: How did IceFrog trigger Icarus' Sun Ray? I'm asking not because I'm making some sort of DotA reference, but more so we could start on making channeled beam- like spells, or is there already?

Hope somebody would find a way to trigger the spell and help. :D
My thanks to those who would. :D

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
TBH, that particular ability looks highly out of place. (Unless they have changed it within the last 6 months which I have not played)
But you would probably want some sort of lightning effect to a point with an offset of the casting hero in the direction its faced.
Making it MPI would be fairly easy, but MUI could be kindof tricky.

I would suggestion you try create your own abilities rather than copy one from DotA. However I'm quite sure this can be done if you really want it.

I recall it looked similar to Healing Wave's lightning. Not all of us play DotA, supply a video/pictures and a description if you really want help on this.

Dark_Seraph

Reaction score
Well, it does look like a Healing Wave lightning SFX, but the part that got me was the continuous projection of the lightning effect. Maybe a dummy or effect is created every few seconds? I see it could be tricky with MUI, which is what I'm using now.

But thanks for the help though, very much appreciated.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
It's most likely a JASS ability, I made one myself quite recently. It involves a loop every tick that looks for a unit in a line in front of the caster, and if there is a unit, it stops the loop, damages the target, and moves the lightning; if there isn't a unit, it simply moves the lightning to the end of the range and creates an effect there. It gets more complicated if the player wants to be able to move and turn, because that's triggered as well.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
I doubt its dummy units casting abilities every few sections of a second.
It's most probably just using and moving a lightning affect an periodically applying the damage.
There is even a GUI version of Lightning Functions, however I do find these inefficient so it is most probably JASS.

Dark_Seraph

Reaction score
Been so long since I came back here. Looks quite the same though. I will try to learn JASS to create better spells. Thanks for the help emobroken22!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.