Sci/Tech EU responds to Microsoft's browser move

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The European Commission on Thursday responded with a mixed assessment of Microsoft's move to strip Internet Explorer out of European versions of Windows 7.
As first reported by CNET News, Microsoft has been telling PC makers of its plan to offer Windows 7 in Europe with the browser removed. PC makers and consumers would have to add in a browser. That would be simple--and potentially profitable-- for PC makers, but could prove quite a hassle for those trying to upgrade an existing PC to Windows 7.
In a statement, regulators said that the move seems a step backward in the retail software arena, but said it could be more positive in the new PC market, which is how 95 percent of consumers get a new version of Windows.

I think it's pretty retarded that Microsoft isn't allowed to include their browser with the OS. I mean they made the OS so they should be able to include their own browser... That's like saying they shouldn't be allowed to bundle Paint with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Browsers are free so I don't really see the point. Well, other than IE tying peple to Windows but there are many more things that do that.

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
How are you supposed to get an internet brower then?

It's not like you can download one without having a browser already.. :nuts:

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
They can pop up a window with a list of popular browsers that then gets downloaded by http or ftp. The list could be updated from time to time.

Of course, how is Microsoft supposed to decide which browsers are published to this window? OK... IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome are probably easy choices. But what about "Bob's Adware Browser 1.0" ? Couldn't Bob sue Microsoft for choosing not to distribute his crappy app? How long will the list be?

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Seems like Microsoft may have realized that IE sucks.
Use Chrome. It's way better than IE.

mushroom911

I think I should change my avatar
Reaction score
Well mozilla beats the crap out of IE anyways, Chrome beats the crap out of everything... so the only problem is... how to get chrome without an IE to start with? i don't wna go typing HTML codes in a notepad again, got sick of that 10 years ago....

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
EU Criticizes Microsoft’s IE Unbundling, but Does It Matter Anymore?

EU regulators told Microsoft Friday that they were unimpressed with the software giant’s proposal to sell versions of its operating system without a browser built into it, saying that’s the wrong approach to ensuring browser competition.

Microsoft floated the idea on Thursday of offering a browserless version of Windows 7 for the estimated 5 percent of Windows users who purchase Windows in boxed software from retailers. Microsoft also suggested shipping an Internet Explorer-less version to computer manufacturers who could then choose what browsers to install on the computers they manufacture — which would let Windows machines ship with multiple browsers and let manufacturers charge software makers for the privilege if they like.

Microsoft is making the changes because, in January, the European Commission found that Microsoft tied its browser too closely to its operating system in violation of anti-trust rules — causing significant consumer harm by essentially forcing users to surf using Internet Explorer.

The EC said Friday that selling consumers an OS without a browser doesn’t help matters.

More

----------------------------------------------------

Thank god! I may be able to finally uninstall this shit that microsoft wants us to use! My friends Vista system makes firefox freeze. I want to see if the latest windows updates fix it, otherwise he may have a lawsuit. :D

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Vista = Garbage.

Decent OSes made by MS usually dont have another OS follow them for a few years. Win 98 lasted till about 2001 when Win XP came out. While Win ME came out just before Win XP and it was quickly scrapped.

The same thing happened to Win XP to Vista. Vista is so awful that most people wont touch it, so they worked on a new OS and its been less than 2 years with Vista. Should be funny in 2 Years seeing a Vista machine and getting the same feeling I get when I see a ME machine.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank god! I may be able to finally uninstall this shit that microsoft wants us to use! My friends Vista system makes firefox freeze. I want to see if the latest windows updates fix it, otherwise he may have a lawsuit. :D

Many of those programs are helpful and I highly doubt I will care enough to uninstall them.
IE is one thing, but office isn't shit :p

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I'm no major fan of Microslave, but why does the EU have to stick its nose in on this? I mean, I know IE is shit, but it's Microsoft's product, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to bundle what they want. They aren't forcing you to use the browser, but if people are too stupid to go find an alternative then that's their problem.

Also, how many companies make browsers for profit? It's hardly like competition means increased profits or anything... does it?

Microsoft should just tell the morons in Brussels to go fuck themselves. I'm sorry, again it's not that I'm an MS fan, but I suppose I am quite anti-EU :p

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
I never used the crap shipped with Microsoft, such as the Messenger and Internet Explorer, the fact that they ship the software with the operating system, doesn't force people to use the software. But the people that do, either could careless what browser they use, or actually prefer internet explorer. If they require this of Microsoft, then Apple shouldn't be allowed to ship Safari with their OS either.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
My friends Vista system makes firefox freeze. I want to see if the latest windows updates fix it, otherwise he may have a lawsuit. :D

OMG a conspiracy! But they are being sneaky by only affecting a couple of people instead of the millions of people using firefox on Vista :)

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I never used the crap shipped with Microsoft, such as the Messenger and Internet Explorer, the fact that they ship the software with the operating system, doesn't force people to use the software. But the people that do, either could careless what browser they use, or actually prefer internet explorer. If they require this of Microsoft, then Apple shouldn't be allowed to ship Safari with their OS either.

I like your thinking.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.