Favorite Video Game Music?

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Video games, in my opinion, have gotten to the point where their music is often on par, if not better than, many movies. So what's your favorite?

Halo 3: ODST's very sad and moody song would be my favorite; I think it's called "Deference for Darkness". Never before did I play a game where the music so powerfully affected my gameplay. The song was a far cry from the previous music of the series, usually very actiony or alien sounding. It helped ODST feel like a completely different game than the other Halo games. Probably my favorite part is the clarinet, it fits the city atmosphere perfectly.

A close runner up would be the song in Assassin's Creed 2 that plays when Ezio and his brother are standing on top of the church. Very thematic, it wouldn't be out of place in a huge blockbuster epic.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I always thought the Timesplitters series had some pretty epic music. Free Radical Design had it all for free on their website, but unfortunately they went into administration, became Crytek UK and so the music is no longer available.

With the exception of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games (which have an unfair advantage :p), no other game really stands out to me for its music; Mercenaries 2 had some very good atmospheric music, but that's about it.

ZugZugZealot

Reaction score
It's pretty hard to par or even top the Star Wars Cantina music.

But I'd have to go with the Ocean theme from E.V.O. Search For Eden. It would stomp other music if it were made on newer technology, or true instrumentation.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
in MGS4 i just love the songs for that game. Especially at the end boss when you play through all of the theme songs of the franchise while you fight the boss

Zakyath

Reaction score
Playing Final Fantasy 7 (once again), and I can't do anything but pump up the volume every time I get in a boss battle!

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Nobuo Uematsu, Koji Kondo, Setsuo Yamamoto, Yuki Iwai, Yuko Takehara, Toshihiko Horiyama, Makoto Tomozawa, Norihiko Hibino, and Ayako Saso.

But I bet nobody will know half of these except the first two guys... :rolleyes:

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Nobuo Uematsu on FF7 is phenomenal.

My personal favourite however is Zelda - The Ocarina of Time

*BUT* If any of you are familiar with the music, I suggest you listen to this little clip here (and tell me who was inspired by who :p) I know its not exactly the same, but so similar its scary.

You can skip to 0:45 and listen for a couple seconds, and you should hear what I'm getting at.
[youtube]4M_9085G-hM[/youtube]

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Sonic, Ice-Cap zone or Flying Battery.
For more modern games, Halo 3 title music or MGS4, specifically like Elderkingpin, the final boss.

Sonic beats them both though :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.