FFT RPG Group Project <HELP WANTED!>

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
alright, to throw some more questions:
will Terrain effect some spells and movement?
will there be Chocobos? :p
-> Can you ride em?
How are you going to show the squares?
Friendly Fire for Spells?

And, for the AI, I was thinking sometihng along the lines of this...

Make each enemy target a random unit on the Player's side. This makes it so that there may be 5 ppl on 1 player, or 5 units on 5 players, or etc.
Then, they target the player.
if theres a player that they could take out in one hit within range, then the units will switch target and kill the player [or try].
healing units will try to get to a damaged unit below 50% and heal them within range.
magic users will tend to not attack but actually use spells and will try not to hit their own units.
etc.

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
alright, to throw some more questions:
will Terrain effect some spells and movement?
will there be Chocobos? :p
-> Can you ride em?
How are you going to show the squares?
Friendly Fire for Spells?

And, for the AI, I was thinking sometihng along the lines of this...

Make each enemy target a random unit on the Player's side. This makes it so that there may be 5 ppl on 1 player, or 5 units on 5 players, or etc.
Then, they target the player.
if theres a player that they could take out in one hit within range, then the units will switch target and kill the player [or try].
healing units will try to get to a damaged unit below 50% and heal them within range.
magic users will tend to not attack but actually use spells and will try not to hit their own units.
etc.

>>will Terrain effect some spells and movement?
Yes, it will effect spells such as geomancy. (Casts a spell based on what tile you are standing on.)
>>will there be Chocobos? :p
Lol, If we figure out how to do that, maybe.
-> Can you ride em?
Same answer as above.
>>How are you going to show the squares?
When you select to move or attack etc, a circle of power will appear on available positions, unless someone figures out a better way.
>>Friendly Fire for Spells?
Yes.

PS: Good idea for the AI. We could also give them objectives based on the situation for story battles.

Syndrome

Reaction score
hey, if you want, i can try making a simple MOVEMENT system using the circle of powers and then giev it to you.
HOWEVER.
im not sure myself about the jumping thing.
maybe ill add in some attacks and some spells.
this is just to get this started and get more people interested in a project that has actually started something ;]

so...
should i?

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
Yeah! That'd be great, we'd finally have something to base this off of. (Besides the actual game of course ;) ) So go right ahead. :)

Syndrome

Reaction score
alright!

ill get it done..
i dunno when
ill give you daily updates.
ill probably finish it within a day.

you can choose if we're using this system or not.

1337Elite

Reaction score
I could do the base AI, if someone prototypes the battle system first. (Summer break, plenty of time etc.)

I'll just fetch Final Fantasy Tactics first though. :thup:

Syndrome

Reaction score
25% done the movement system/battle system.
and by 25% i mean:
movement and turns are "done"
but still bugged and everything.
i MIGHT get it done by today, but probably not since my bro is having a party.

hey 133telite, almost done with this, ill post it up here so you can tinker with it.

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
I could do the base AI, if someone prototypes the battle system first. (Summer break, plenty of time etc.)

I'll just fetch Final Fantasy Tactics first though. :thup:

You saying you could do some triggers? ;)
Just post your reply if you want me to add your name to the list or not.

PS: Sounds good Geoff :thup:

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
sry, i just cant join this project, i'm stuck with some more important... promissed an friend to help with another project, have promissed him a mounth ago... sry have forgot, he just finished the terrain...

G

GUNDAM

Im mediocre in everything, but I feel like I can put the effort into making semi-decent terrain if you're interested. I'm far from a pro terrainer, but I can do the basics pretty well.

Syndrome

Reaction score
Alright, I'm just gonna explain it very fast.

Your Agility is your Move, which is basically how many 'squares' or spots you can move per turn.

So each turn, if you're agility is 3, you can move three squares.

We can rename agility later on, or make the movement based off something else.

ANYWAYS: To avoid making 100's of Spot Dummy Units for movement, I just made four, one 125 Units to the right of your Hero, one 125 units to the left of your hero, one 125 units to the down of your hero [lol bad wording] and 125 units to the up [:p] of your hero.

Then you just click on the Dummy Unit to move there, and you can move up to [Agility] Times.

Sounds good so far?

Turns are made based off Agility, whoever is the fastest goes first, second goes second, etc.

I'm trying to debug it because right now you can magically run up cliffs.

Gotta ask sometihng, whats the change in Flying Height of a ground unit when it goes up 1 cliff level? If I know this, tihs can be easily resolved.

OH
Facing is done too!
As in, you can choose where to face.
What do you want to be factored when the enemy is facing away?
Damage?
Hit Rate?
???

However, a bit of bad news too.
I'm going to Montreal from Friday to Monday, so I will not be able to get any work done off yet...
Sorry mate. >_<

W

Whitewater

Ok, I was reading the post, and I could do triggers (very hacky gui ones at best, if it comes to that), unit abilities, or units. I loved the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for GBA, and I know that it isn't the one you are doing, but I know how it works, if that helps. Oh, and just from eyeballing it, the flying height increase from one cliff to the next appears to be around 200 or so, give or take one or two...

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
Wow that's a mouthful, a few questions and comments though.

//>I like how your agility is your "move" (How many squares you're able to move.)

>>ANYWAYS: To avoid making 100's of Spot Dummy Units for movement, I just made four, one >>125 Units to the right of your Hero, one 125 units to the left of your hero, one 125 units to the down of your hero [lol bad wording] and 125 units to the up [:p] of your hero.

> So you're saying you make 125 units for each direction?? I know I'm misunderstanding something here. Please explain this better. :p

>>Turns are made based off Agility, whoever is the fastest goes first, second goes second, etc.

> Since the move is based off of the agility as well, shouldn't the speed be based on something different? Like maybe have your speed as a **resource** and your CT (Charge Time) be your mana.

** = Could also be an integer value on a multiboard or something.

>>Gotta ask sometihng, whats the change in Flying Height of a ground unit when it goes up 1 cliff level? If I know this, tihs can be easily resolved.

>Err, not sure I understand the question, I feel stupid. :p

>>OH
>>Facing is done too!
>>As in, you can choose where to face.
>>What do you want to be factored when the enemy is facing away?
>>Damage?
>>Hit Rate?
>>???

>I've got all of the equations to determine damage and hit rate. I'll PM them to you.

>>However, a bit of bad news too.
>>I'm going to Montreal from Friday to Monday, so I will not be able to get any work done off yet...
>>Sorry mate. >_<

Dang that sucks, but don't worry about it. But could you PM me your system, or post it? Thanks, and good work. :thup:

W

Whitewater

Ok, I know the post wasn't directed at me, but...
About the 125 units in the direction, WC3 handles things in "units" that are just generic units... 125 is around what looks like one or two steps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.