Football Arena Walls & Bounceoff

Mythes

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to create a Football game, much like the Magic Football map...
For those unfamiliar, this Magic Football map is a "hero-arena" football game, where each player picks a player and play against others in a game of football.

I'm trying to make the ball rebound when on contact with the wall... Problem is I failed to find an event that fills in the purpose "Unit gets in range of Doodad".

Thus, I tried changing what the "wall" could be.

It can't be a unit, because they show an HP bar over them. To hide the HP bar, I could Locust the unit, but then it would be passable through (it's an arena, it can't be passable through)

So, how can I make that is triggerable to make a ball bounce off it when it reaches the wall, and still doesn't have an HP bar, but isn't passable through?

If anything is confusing, please state.

==================================
Clarifiying:
I wrote football at the title, but i meant Soccer... Sorry.. In brazil, soccer is called "futebol". I forgot that in english it's called soccer...
==================================

Ty,
Myt.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regions would probably be the best way.

Eg: Region "Left" is entered: Do actions for left side.

And have regions all the way around.

Mythes

Reaction score
One region for each part of the arena? And then again, regions can bug if a unit ends up entering both regions at the same time (can happen if the unit is big enough to have "one foot on one region and another foot on another"
.)

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Unit-type check.
Code:
Unit enters a region
If unit-type of triggering unit equal to 'Ball' then..
And just make the corners of regions not overlap, but just touch.

Mythes

Reaction score
Even then, it still can happen for the ball to be on both regions at the same time. Let me pic that for you... (give me 1 min)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think that has ever happened to me, however, I am not sure whether regions go by the center point of a unit, or the collision zone.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
It would probably go by the center.
And I don't need a picture, I understand, lol.

I don't think it can happen though.

Happy

Reaction score
it could be hard to make but why you dont make walls (dodadds) and "inside" the walls you putt dummys and then trigger if the ball gets near the dummy?

Mythes

Reaction score
@Happy
Kindda hard isn't that? =/
But it is viable if I run out of options. Thanks anyway Happy.

I haven't had time to try it yet (movies with my hot gf seemed better then mapping :p)
Will do this 2nite...

Myt.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
If you're using only one ball, you could use Unit Comes Within 100.00 of Ball 001 <gen>.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Well, in that case you could put pathing blockers around the arena. That should work.

Apologies for not noticing that first part.

Mythes

Reaction score
Hello guys...
I tried making something like this.
I added Dalaran - Structures - Wall Low (Horizontal / Vertical) to make my arena, and, as each wall takes up a 128x64 grid space, I added a 128x64 region on each block. The problem now is to set the ball to kick back.
As the "ball" unit enters the region, the trigger should automaticaly calculate the angle between the entering position of the unit and the region it entered... And the problem is.. there is no "Event Response - Region being entered" or anything like that...

How do I solve this? Ideas?

Still, I'm trying the dummy idea also...

@Dummy Using

Can't use dummies because of the "Unit enters range of another unit" event; the second unit must be a specific, non-variable type.
This sucks...

Ty,
Myt.

Dirac

Reaction score
there was absolutely no need to create a region for each block. Do This:
Create 1 region that takes up all the arena space, if the ball leaves the region you will notice through triggers. When the ball leaves the region change it's angle to (180-angle) i think and it should simulate the bounce

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.