General Site Improvement ideas.

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Well, i've kinda noticed that this site is getting an old look for our modern generation :D. So I had some ideas on how to make it look just that much better.

•Optional Colour Schemes - Maybe something like wc3campigns style?
•Rounded/Bubble Style Borders/Boxes etc. - What I mean by that is, the whole layout is kinda squareish. Personally, I don't like square, thats where the "rounded/bubble style" comes in.
•A new banner - Yes, yes I know it's a classic, but I think we could do better couldn't we?
•Smilies! - I think we'd all like more, or completley new ones (in terms of look).

I'm not quite sure, but I think its the version of VBulletin that you have that makes it all square, or am I just mistaken? I've been here over a year, and it's hardly changed at all except for some re-arrangements. Lets get this place, looking more like the Tutorial site. Now thats got a good look!

Anyway, your ideas?
-Husky

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
:nuts: Your a brilliant mad man :p lol
yah its too "office" its not homey
that little corner, of the man on the left corner, is annoying lol no offense
but i look at him and im like
"arg thats gonna be me in 30 years.. still waiting for this site to reply.." its not that the sites slow :p that little guy just makes me think its gonna take forever.. lol im babbling :p bye

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> this site is getting an old look for our modern generation

This site is a harbour of peace in a world of stress.

> Banner ... I think we could do better.

Show me.

Sargon

Reaction score
Bubbly layouts are evil. They're too...frivolous, and annoying to look at.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
husky_003 said:
•Optional Colour Schemes - Maybe something like wc3campigns style?
Hmmmm...maybe if we were wc3campigns... lol
husky_003 said:
•Rounded/Bubble Style Borders/Boxes etc. - What I mean by that is, the whole layout is kinda squareish. Personally, I don't like square, thats where the "rounded/bubble style" comes in.
Well, i think this is done way too much and would make the site look less professional...yes we're very professional :p (not)
husky_003 said:
•A new banner - Yes, yes I know it's a classic, but I think we could do better couldn't we?
Yea, i think we should have a competition or somthing, but i think that little computer tech dude should be in there!
husky_003 said:
•Smilies! - I think we'd all like more, or completley new ones (in terms of look).
yea animated smilies are cool! :D

and sorry if it seemed like i was trying bash your ideas, i wasnt, also wrong thread, theres one called "Bugs and Features"

hehe made this

Attachments

• thehelperbanner.jpg
    thehelperbanner.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 329

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
nice banner

that sounds like a good idea having a contest for a new banner...but thehelper would still have to approve

i also like the idea about the themes...and we wouldnt necessarily have to have a lot, just a couple of options

Wark

Animal
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there are a limited number of things you can do with vBulletin forums. But I agree the colors should be changed. I hate white/ligh backgrounds, it makes it hard to read at night when there is no light on, and it hurts your eyes.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
vbulletin is open source right? when you buy the complete license?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
That depends, if you mean you can modify it yes - it has full source. You can look at the full license agreement on their site.

Cognitor

Reaction score
I like the site how it is for the most part. It does have a more professional look with not so much stuff flying around and polls on the left and ads on the right with 10 different color schemes.

Of course we can always use more smileys :D

Sargon

Reaction score
Cognitor said:
Of course we can always use more smileys :D

People spam the smilies too much already. We don't need to give them more reasons to do so.

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Well i've been playing around with Photoshop lately, and after playing around a bit, I came up with this banner, in dedication to the site :D

(We should really make a Competition for a new banner, I think it'd be great fun :D. And Admins/Mods could pick the one they like the most.)

Anyway hope you like the banner,
-Husky

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good to me - if you want to make it a reality feel free. Also, you can standardize the links if you like - also, if you could modify the news script so it displays like it does on WET - without all those extra links that would be awesome!

Wark

Animal
Reaction score
Maybe a Valve Hammer World Editor forum for mapmaking for Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source.

Something like:

Valve Hammer Editor Help
For all your Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source mapping needs.

It's my dream to learn how to use the Hammer editor, and I think it would be awsome if it had its own spot at thehelper.net.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.