Global Group standard?

Troll-Brain

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
No, since it's true for you but false for me.
It's just an opinion anyway, we should stop to talk about this.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see you removing that dummy unit from the group, Troll-Brain.

Troll-Brain

Reaction score
The dummy exist to know if the group is released or not, but for some odd reason i've removed one debug line inside the function NewGroup :banghead:
Now, it's fixed.

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
I OPPOSE tO standArds in jaSS

anyway, this thing is silly, adding 1 line of code is easier than adding 5 lines of code. Besides, The name GROUP is among the lamest in history.

(PS. My background is mapper, I mapped in GUI for about 4-5 yrs before looking at JASS.)
Sorry, but wasting 4.-5 years in GUI makes you not a mapper guy but a mentally-challenged one.

GroupUtils uses hashtables now, if you want I can make dusk make it so the double free protection is only available when a constant is set to true, or maybe debug mode. I can't think of a good reason to release a group that was not allocated by NewGroup. Besides, recycling shouldn't be in use at all anyway...

Troll-Brain

Reaction score
Vexorian said:
I can't think of a good reason to release a group that was not allocated by NewGroup.
You're probably right, i was thinking about gui functions which returns group but i had forgotten these ones are pretty useless.

It's cleaner now, but anyway i still will do all the checks and hashtable usage only on not debug mode.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Sorry, but wasting 4.-5 years in GUI makes you not a mapper guy but a mentally-challenged one.
Hahaha... Yea. Well, I was 13-->16 yrs old (and not a programmer). It was fun. :)

>GroupUtils uses hashtables now, if you want I can make dusk make it so the double free protection is only available when a constant is set to true, or maybe debug mode.
What people want is a a 5 line function when debug mode is off. GroupUtils can't do that without breaking backwards compatability, I'm pretty sure. It just happens that it is built for extreme safety, to the point where the final map's efficiency is reduced instead of just in debug mode. Not saying it's wrong, I just wouldn't use it myself.

>I can't think of a good reason to release a group that was not allocated by NewGroup.
I can't think of a reason to restrict it.

>Besides, recycling shouldn't be in use at all anyway...
People said that about attaching to timers, iirc. Why not recycle?

Troll-Brain

Reaction score
I think Vexorian is talking about groups recycling, because of possible ghost units for groups used not instantly like GROUP_ENUM.

Finally i see one good reason why to forbid the release of a group which wasn't in the stack.
If you want to create a private group which should never de recycled, use CreateGroup instead of NewGroup, and you will protect from yourself (still a silly case though)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.