Got Ideas? Come here

What do you want IN a map?

• Cinematic

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Custom stuffs ( Skins , Spell etc etc)

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Normal Melee map

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No ideas!

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Something Else.. (Please post if you chooseing this)

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

hasslarn

Reaction score
Hi i'm going to make a map
but i dont know what sort of map so i thought you guys would help
im in need of ideas if you got any ideas post here
please come up with ideas
what i mena is like
if the map should have cinematics,special effect,custom stuffs like spell models etc etc

Evrything you like in a map and i will try to make one like that

What YOU guys voted for
Cinematics ( Well in this map ill try having many cinematics )
Custom Stuffs

If you come up with how the map is based like if you gonna kill a special person or a town or something
please post and alwso post name of titels :p thanks in advance!

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
A map doesn't necessarily need a cinematic, but you can make a cinematic as an introduction for a map, or a short summary of what the map is before players can actually do stuff, or the whole map is a cinematic, much like a movie.

Make Heroes, and create a really good name, not lame names, but cool, fascinating names. Then create unique spells for them. Use custom spells instead of basing spells from regular Wc3 abilities (normal abilities are good for average maps, but they suck for a good map)

You can also make a variety of units such as creeps or bosses.

Also make items, with special abilities.

Make towers, for TD's.
----------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to really make a map, then start off by making a map with the type of Arena. Players select heroes and battle each other in an arena, like gladiators. If you got the hang of it then do more, better maps..

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Well, I thought I was going to make a Cinematic for you? :p. Anyway, if you need an Short/Plotting/Epic cinematic, I can help.

T

Tubba

What's wrong with normal spells? I mean, you can change a lot before having to resort to triggers...

FroznYoghurt

Reaction score
I personally like spells that require something from the user, like avoidable spells, spells that require timing, different effects depending on situation etc.
Avoidable spells = diablo2 style :)
Spells that have knockback, move effect. Shiny, frizzly spells.
Custom Skins, not neceseraly custom models.

Cheddar

This is the way it was meant to be.
Reaction score
I had an idea the other day where you have a first-person view of a giant Meat Wagon and you score points by using the arrow keys to slay the mobs of children.

Perhaps make bloody explosions every time one is hit.

Randor244

Reaction score
I would love to se a melee map where you really make it good. For the time needed to create for example an rpg, you can create a wonderful melee map with extremely good terrain.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Although I may be alone in this, when I'm making spells and towers I almost always like to add an element of randomness to the situation. Most of the maps I've personally worked on have been Tower Defenses, and you can totally make some unique towers: for instance, I had a whole race of towers that would have a chance of "fizzling" whenever they were first built, turning into a nearly worthless tower. However, if it didn't "fizzle", then it turns into a very powerful tower. Additionally, all of those towers were cheaper than their counterpart races' towers.

Uniqueness and Flare are also two very important, major elements to a map. If everything is the same as everyone is used to, then they will lose interest fast and find a new game to play. Sit down and brainstorm once you figure out what sort of map you're making, and try to conceptualize as many awesome elements as you can to add to your gameplay. Although not often used, traps and puzzles make an entertaining addition to any game if they're done well enough.

And Flare, well, that's obvious; everybody loves eye candy, and any spell with additional triggers to make it look better, again, if well done, is going to blow a normal spell out of the water and instantly immerse the players in your game. Proper terraining and doodad editing is also a very important factor, as this will be what the players will be looking at for the majority of the game that they aren't fighting.

But as far as melee maps go... and by melee, I'm going to hope that you mean in the style of the normal game maps, instead of what the editor actually considers as a "melee map"... if you made one with completely unique units, intriguing new races with a proper storyline behind them, custom spells and awesome new upgrades, then it could really be awesome. Also, consider developing different methods for players to gather resources; perhaps you could have a group of gnoll slaves that simply beat at a tree until the thing is destroyed, and then they just carry it all back at once. Or, have gold mines for everyone, but also add in a new sort of mineral that can only be mined once you've researched an upgrade at your tier 2 town hall, and it gives you 25 gold per tic instead of the mere 10. That way, people would have several options as to which strategies they'd like to develop.

Well, that's about all I can think of for now, but good luck, bro, and if you need a writer or terrainer, hit me up. =P

Quauhtli

I have the right to remain silent.
Reaction score
In my opinion blizzard's models and textures are fine as they are.
Of course a new skin or model here and there can brighten up your game, but still it is not totally needed. Just stick with blizzard's ones.
This is one of the reasons that I voted for Cinematic.
The other reason is that I just like watching cinematics, but often people make the text to long so like 7 seconds over a 30 word transmission. Camera's are also often lacky. Keep these in minds if you are going to make a cinematic.

W

whatismyname

What's wrong with normal spells? I mean, you can change a lot before having to resort to triggers...

What's wrong with normal spells? The anwser to that is that they are boring! Eveyone has played with them before and it makes the new map old. It's alot more fun making new spells to all new maps, then you never know what's coming!

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Normal spells sometimes makes the game easy for the player.

Randor244

Reaction score
Melee dream

But as far as melee maps go... and by melee, I'm going to hope that you mean in the style of the normal game maps, instead of what the editor actually considers as a "melee map"... if you made one with completely unique units, intriguing new races with a proper storyline behind them, custom spells and awesome new upgrades, then it could really be awesome. Also, consider developing different methods for players to gather resources; perhaps you could have a group of gnoll slaves that simply beat at a tree until the thing is destroyed, and then they just carry it all back at once. Or, have gold mines for everyone, but also add in a new sort of mineral that can only be mined once you've researched an upgrade at your tier 2 town hall, and it gives you 25 gold per tic instead of the mere 10. That way, people would have several options as to which strategies they'd like to develop.

You hit the spot there:D
Why can't anyone make such a map? A map you could play in multiplayer, or singleplayer, a fast or a slow-paced game, where the standard blizzard races meet other ones, but still with the melee map "feeling"?

Throw out the RPG's (well, maybe not...) and make a fun melee map?

With most of the work put on the units and terrain.

Triggers should be there, but only for natural events, such as destroying bridges with bombs, create own bridges, pull levers etc.

But the most important: BASE BUILDING with a melee feeling.

That's what I wanted to say. Please, anyone, make such a map, or I'll be forced to make one myself.

Create a new genre!

Maybe some here at thehelper should work together to develop, spread, hype and continue to develop a totally new genre for WC3?

Admins, you have been told of this. It's up to you.

Conclusion:
Make a map just as a melee map, but with these features:
-Multiple races
-Include blizzard ones too
-Custom AI
-Natural events (see above)
-Well-done terrain
-Multi- and singleplayer support (with help by the custom AI)
Several maps with the same things, as a map with forest theme, one with desert theme, winter, swamp etc. All with different innovative terrain features.

IF I RECIEVE INTEREST IN THIS, I'LL START A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS IN THE MEMBER'S PROJECTS SECTION.

Randor244

Reaction score
Are you talking about my recent post?

Sigh... I guess i'm just "raping" anothers post again...

As i said, if anyone shows any interest, I'll just create a new thread, and leave this alone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.