General Hi-tech is turning us all into time-wasters

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Time-wasting is not just an irritating habit. It is an affliction that ruins millions of lives and often requires therapy and other treatment for sufferers, psychologists have warned.

According to new research, one person in five now suffers from the problem so badly that their careers, relationships and health are threatened. Many researchers blame computers and mobile phones for providing too many distractions for people.

'The subject is seen as joke,' said Professor Joseph Ferrari of DePaul University in Chicago. 'But the social and economic implications are huge. These people need therapy. They need to change the way they act and think.'

Ferrari says that chronic procrastination is now so serious a condition it needs to be recognised by clinicians. In a study to be published later this year, he estimates that 15 to 20 per cent of people are chronic procrastinators. 'We now have data on 4,000 people, and it doesn't seem to matter what age you are, or your sex or background.'

Read more about it here.

Reaction score
It couldn't possibly be that this "chronic procrastination" is the result of the highly abnormal environment in which people live. Nope, no chance at all.

Well, let's just pray that these poor souls find effective treatment so that they can become one step closer to the happy little automata they need to be.

S

SunDance123

Not sure if it is fair to blame Hi-Tech for this. Hi-Tech is a means to an end. It makes wasting time easier, but it is you who is to blame for not wanting to do the work and waste time.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I've been working hard for a while, but my "breaks" are at least a week long. I waste plenty of time too. I'd rather avoid the computer, but sadly I have so many precious relationships on it that I can't tear myself away from it. Hopefully I'll grow up one day and tell my friends to contact me via snail mail. :rolleyes:

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
These are merely the side effects to computerization, but it's quite obvious, that our brains would rather do something more fun and brings us pleasure then do work... It's called slacking off :eek:

But that's just my 2 cents.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
There are many different 'time wasters', today, they just found something else to blame it on. Hi-tech includes games. yay.

The things we use to waste time are not the ones at fault. It is the users. Me and You. And tell me, what other thing could we doing that isn't a waste of time?

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
(not meaning to offend) Then there's also religion. Lately it seems like it's an excuse for everything.

Though i think 1 hour spent in worship is not really that much time wasted.
But still it's time wasted

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Aaaahhh..(sobbing)

I got beaten up by my bully, I lost in a winning bet of my life to earn a bicycle, I lost my hard efforts to maintain my image as a Most Handsome Boy in High school, and I was dumped by my friends. All because of you, computers!! Blasphemy! People, I suffered more than you do.

juty

Zoom out problems look smaller
Reaction score
Lol time wasting is such as hard words to use :p it should be called creating more free time so we a less stressed :nuts:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
There's other alternatives, such as spending time, or time consuming :p

So what should be doing instead? Read books 24/7? Exercise? Isn't sports a waste too? Because chances are, you won't be a professional.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.