How large Meg Wise, do you think starcraft 2 custom maps will allow

Large enough to make custom melle map, with all custom sounds, models, ect

• Yes

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • No, A little Larger Is fine though.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No, it is more then big enough for custom maps.

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I Am very excited, about starcraft 2 coming. And assuming they still don't allow midi files. I was wondering if they said it would be the same as war craft 3. or if bigger how much.

I am more considered about how much space i will have to be able to add sounds ect. Assumeing sounds still have to be mp3.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hopefully it'll be the same as Wc3. Or if we're really lucky, it'll be smaller :D

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
i think they will raise it.

Hopefully it'll be the same as Wc3. Or if we're really lucky, it'll be smaller

computers are getting better, and the internet is getting faster so why should it be less?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i think they will raise it.

computers are getting better, and the internet is getting faster so why should it be less?
Because I still don't like import-overloaded maps.
2-3 Mb is acceptable.
But >4 mb is just too much.

The limit is realistic. It allows imports, but stops massive maps.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
A relatively small increase wouldn't be too bad (perhaps an extra 500KB or 1MB) - when people start making custom content for SC2, it's probably going to be a nice bit larger in filesize than WC3's custom content, so an increase in the mapsize limit would be good, although it's hard to think that there will be a tidal wave of maps reaching the maximum filesize (I only know of a handful in WC3)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A relatively small increase wouldn't be too bad (perhaps an extra 500KB or 1MB) - when people start making custom content for SC2, it's probably going to be a nice bit larger in filesize than WC3's custom content, so an increase in the mapsize limit would be good, although it's hard to think that there will be a tidal wave of maps reaching the maximum filesize (I only know of a handful in WC3)
That's because all the massive maps where made by import-obsessed newbies who's map ended up rubbish anyway. They just used imports because they looked cool.

A small limit wouldn't make a difference anyway. It'd still stop import-whores, and allow smaller imports as well as code.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Did they not increase the max filesize of wc3maps when the frozen throne came out? I mean the w3x format must have some size upperhention over the w3m files.
If they make the max size small when the first one comes out I sure hope they can change it in the next coming expansion:)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Obviously it'll be more than it is now... the models and skins are of much higher quality and therefore require more harddrive space.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Obviously it'll be more than it is now

How is that obvious?
You sure you really want to sit through a 20megs load, only to find out it's just a bunch of "models", some random crap "music" and you actually don't like the map?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If they up the bandwidth so that the maps can be downloaded faster than I would hope to see something more like 10 or 20 megs. If the same speed is used, then I'll probably not be very happy regardless of the size. If I ever was to finish my Halo models, to get them all into a map (which is kind of necessary I think), it would take at least eight megs.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I don't see whats so bad for massively imported maps. Some of the maps aren't really that bad when there massively imported like Samurai Legends. Fun game, well balanced and imported.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Well with Warcraft it's hard to make games that you really do need a lot of imports. With SC2 the editor might be way more advanced and allow far larger map sizes, which would allow for big RPGs which in effect would allow for the use of a lot of imported files adequately. Or have they made announcements about the restrictions of the editor?

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
My guess is the map limit will be in excess of 15-20mb. Think about it, we won't be talking 256x256 textures or >1000 poly models anymore.... this is the future people, warcraft 3 is the past.... they are going to have to allow a larger file size to include imports worthy of the ingame content. If you don't like massive maps with massive amounts of imported resources, then don't play them. I can't understand why you would like maps to be so limited tho, it also limits the creativity and puts a damper on the custom resource side of the modding community.

With todays internet connections 20mb wouldn't even be a problem, remember that it's the current b.net that slows the download as well as a hosts connection. With the release of b.net 2.0 running along side the new games they obviously would of considered modern connection speeds so downloading custom maps should be alot faster, and I won't be surprised if they have more in the way of oceanic servers and the like.

Even if there will be such a limiting cap like in warcraft 3, they have already announced that custom campaigns will be enabled for multiplayer, so you will be able to spread your content across multiple maps.

If you still think that 4mb is a big deal then perhaps you should upgrade your connection or stick to warcraft 3.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> With todays internet connections 20mb wouldn't even be a problem

Did you have a look at one of the many "Speed test" threads we have here?

There is also nothing limiting in not being able to import some 10megs model...
Well, whatever, this thread, same as the others on the same subject, is going strictly nowhere.

In the end, it all depends on Blizzard anyway.

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
Be reasonable guys, starcraft 2 wont be like warcraft 3 and have a major amount of models, so Blizzard would up the limit. Also if you think 20mb is alot, you need a new internet connection badly. And with the ability to actually add races to the race selection im sure the mb would be bigger to enable for more models.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
20mb itself isn't a lot.

But the fact remains, that I have about 1.1k maps in my maps folder.

And it would still take a really long time.
Anyway, what good to imported models do? Most of them aren't worth it.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I'd like to see it doubled to 8 megs, maybe 12 on LAN?

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
i think with the new graphics the limit would get to about 30-40mb, they would update b-net with 2.0 so it doesn't take so long to dl and then it would be all good. Models do alot of good to maps, what if you are making a whole new race? you can't just use the same models or else it really wouldn't be a new race. It wouldn't make sense for blizzard to give us the ability to make new races IN THE LOBBY and not give a reasonable limit. I download at 800kb to 1mb a second so if you think 20mb is alot then you either need a new internet or just don't play the high dl maps, seriously limiting mappers is not a good choice and doesn't extend the creativity allowed.

Reaction score
Its not the problem with downloading a big map, Its just how Blizzard set up Wc3 to download a map at like 20kb/s

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.