Sci/Tech India announces $35 tablet computer for rural poor

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
NEW DELHI (AP) - India introduced a cheap tablet computer Wednesday, saying it would deliver modern technology to the countryside to help lift villagers out of poverty.

The computer, called Aakash, or "sky" in Hindi, is the latest in a series of "world's cheapest" innovations in India that include a 100,000 rupee ($2,040) compact Nano car, a 750 rupee ($15) water purifier and $2,000 open-heart surgery.

Developer Datawind is selling the tablets to the government for about $45 each, and subsidies will reduce that to $35 for students and teachers. In comparison, the cheapest Apple iPad tablet costs $499, while the recently announced Kindle Fire will sell for $199.

Datawind says it can make about 100,000 units a month at the moment, not nearly enough to meet India's hope of getting its 220 million children online.

Get the whole story here.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
how is this possible? Last month I bought the crappiest low end phone for $50 because mine wasn't on contract and it got smashed.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
how is this possible? Last month I bought the crappiest low end phone for $50 because mine wasn't on contract and it got smashed.

It's time you visit to India :)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score

Welcome to the world of government subsidies. Unfortunately, you don't make enough money to qualify here.

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
What's the quality of these things? If they're on par with the iPads that's pretty cool, if it's like a Kindle that's still pretty cool... I guess anything that can get online and read material for $35 is pretty awesome, haha.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
There's a phone on sale here in the UK for a mere £2.95. My friend has one as a back up, and if she loses it it's no big deal because it only cost her £2.95. Plus £10 credit. Still a bargain though, even if all it can really do is text and call.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.