Installing Windows 7

master maste

Reaction score
Ok I have the iso of windows 7 ultimate x64, I wiped my hard drive clean and have put the extracted contents of the iso onto a dvd.

But for some reason the computer won't recognise the cd.

I have set the boot order to CD, HDD, Floppy.
First thing it does it try to boot from the CD, then it just says: "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" so I insert the disk and press enter again and it still doesnt work, I also can't boot into my system as its currently wiped.

I have no actual CD's/DVD with windows 7 on it except the one I burnt with the extracted contents.

I have no other computers around me with a x64 bit operating system, so plugging my hdd into the other computer and installing it via that wont work.

Can someone please help me? :)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you may have burned the DVD incorrectly. What exactly did you do to put the iso onto the DVD?

master maste

Reaction score
Well I actually burnt 2 dvds, the first one I used winrar to extract the iso and then put all the contents directly onto the dvd, no folders above it or anything.

2nd dvd was foolish, I just put the iso directly onto the dvd (lol why would that even work...)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
You burned it very wrong. Leave the .iso file as it is...a .iso file.

Download ImgBurn and then browse for the .iso and burn it.

Wallah, it works!

master maste

Reaction score
You mean the exact way I did with the 2nd dvd, and that does not work at all...

edit: if it means anything I'm burning using burn4free and I'm finalising the disc, the total installation is 3.01gb on a 4.7gb disc

master maste

Reaction score
Ok I just downloaded imgburn 2.5,

The tutorial u pointed me to is exactly what I did with the first disc, and what you guys are telling me to do is what I did on the 2nd disc, so I have no idea why this would work. Should I bother wasting another DVD on another disc that won't work? and why would it work this time?

If I'm burning the iso then I should use "write image to disc" correct?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
6. Enable the 'Make Image Bootable' option.

Set the 'Emulation Type' to 'None (Custom)'.

Point the 'Boot Image' to the 'etfsboot.com' file within the 'boot' folder in your source folder - i.e. "T:\VISTA_INSTALL\boot\etfsboot.com"

Enter 'Microsoft Corporation' in the 'Developer ID' field.

Enter '07C0' in the 'Load Segment' field.

Enter '8' in the 'Sectors To Load' field

you sure you did this step to make it bootable?

and Ive followed this method and it worked for me, not from an iso, but just from the files (you can extract the iso with like winrar or something)

p.s. you can also install off a flash drive if you have one that's 4gb or bigger

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Ok I just downloaded imgburn 2.5,

The tutorial u pointed me to is exactly what I did with the first disc, and what you guys are telling me to do is what I did on the 2nd disc, so I have no idea why this would work. Should I bother wasting another DVD on another disc that won't work? and why would it work this time?

If I'm burning the iso then I should use "write image to disc" correct?

Well what you said earlier, "2nd dvd was foolish, I just put the iso directly onto the dvd (lol why would that even work...)" make it seem like you just dragged and dropped it as a data disc, I'm not sure if that would work.

However if you really did what imgburn would do, the program shouldn't matter too much, however I have ran into troubles with other programs, though never with ImgBurn.

You're booting with the disc already inside the tray right?

Zeroing the harddrive might help, look into google for further info on that.
http://www.lehigh.edu/security/gwscan/gwscan.htm < one example.

Also, what was the purpose of wiping the harddrive THEN installing Win7?
You could have just let the installation format the drive for you.
And HOW did you wipe the harddrive?

master maste

Reaction score
Ok im burning a new dvd as per the instructions on the link above, so I'm using the extracted files.

I have had the dvd in the drive when I booted.
I wiped the drive because I had 2 partitions, and just seemed simpler... I reformatted the drive to ntfs so its not completely bare. and no partitions.

ok hmmm I just finished burning the disc, it said it was gonna eject the tray before verify, and it ejected twice (this computer doesnt like to keep the tray in) and once it came back a msg came up saying:

"Miscompare at LBA: 258, Offset: 0
Device: 0xFA
Image File: 0x92

Total Errors in Sector: 2,043

Would you like to continue verifying the rest of this disc?

Yes No"

edit: ok I clicked yes about 6 times, and now its asking me:

"automatically ignore miscompares?
Yes No"

with yes selected, is this the right one to do?

edit2: ok guys any help? it looks like it starting to write again, but I'm not sure now!
edit3: it says its verifying sectors...

edit4: ok I put the cd into my computer and booted, ive tried it 2 times. It starts installing but comes up with an error "0x8007000D" about source/install.wim.

Any ideas?

master maste

Reaction score
it worked, just had to burn yet another dvd because imgburn didnt like my dads dvd drive.

Thanks for the help, wouldnt be here otherwise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.