Is it the Truth or is it a Lie

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
If Pinocchio says "my nose will get larger" will his nose get larger?

Lol I just wanted to see your opinions :D

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
How is that a lie? It's the truth because his nos-

Oh. I see your point. If he no longer lies, his nose will not grow larger. Wait, that means, he is lying, so his nose WILL grow larger.

IT IS THE TRUTH. EITHER WAY, HIS NOSE WILL GET LARGER. BY TELLING THE TRUTH, HE IS LYING. BY LYING, HE IS LYING. BY BEING NEUTRAL, HS IS LYING.

:)

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
His nose will get larger in the future if he ever plans on lying. At the moment, he is either telling the truth or lying depending on how you want to interpret the sentence.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
It's a consequence for lying. He should've said would instead of will though.

NotTheHelper

Yeah, its under your bed.
Reaction score
hmmm...*thinks hard*...technically he is lying...so he is in a way telling the truth...ughh i give up!

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
His nose will get longer. As thewrongvine says, he is lying whatever he says to that statement.

Knight7770

Reaction score
Of course, if someone hadn't heard the Pinocchio story before, one might have said, "He's lying, because his nose can't get bigger, unless he has plastic surgery."

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Well, if we didn't know Pinocchio, he wouldn't be lying. Your nose never stops growing, or so I read. ;)

Of course, Pinocchio is a puppet. His nose only grows when he lies. If his nose doesn't grow, that sentence is a lie. If it's a lie, his nose grows. Which means his sentence was true. Which means his nose would not grow. Fun paradox.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Of course, Pinocchio is a puppet. His nose only grows when he lies. If his nose doesn't grow, that sentence is a lie. If it's a lie, his nose grows. Which means his sentence was true. Which means his nose would not grow. Fun paradox.

But the nose already grew when his sentence became true, so Pinocchio speaks the truth here.

It is a bit like the problem with the prisoner. The judge told him: if you speak the truth, I give you a sentence of 4 years. If you lie, I give you a sentence of 7 years. We know what happened, it is up to you to decide to tell the truth or not. The prisoner tells the judge: You will give me a sentence of 7 years.
What sentence should the judge give to keep his word?

Knight7770

Reaction score
But the nose already grew when his sentence became true, so Pinocchio speaks the truth here.

It is a bit like the problem with the prisoner. The judge told him: if you speak the truth, I give you a sentence of 4 years. If you lie, I give you a sentence of 7 years. We know what happened, it is up to you to decide to tell the truth or not. The prisoner tells the judge: You will give me a sentence of 7 years.
He should give the sentence, "Don't tell me which sentence to give you; that's not your job."

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score

The judge should take his answer as the prisoner admitting he is going to lie and give him 7 years, because he is only telling the truth that he is going to lie about what happened, and what happened is the truth in question not the fact he is telling the truth about choosing to lie. :)

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Its like this one:

The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

They all are based on the grandfather paradox, which is the one with travelling back in time and killing your grandfather, thus making your birth impossible, therefore without your existance you cannot kill your grandfather, thus he still lives, so you are born, so you can kill him....

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
>The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
That's my sig over at WC3C, though slightly altered.

Paradoxes(is that the plural?) are fun.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
His nose will grow, then go back to normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.