Votes: 2 11.8%
  • open map is awesome!

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I really don't know

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

mapguy

Reaction score
Ok, I'm working on an AOS and I don't know what's better.

to protect it
OR
let it an open map.

Each map has it's advantages:

a protected map prevents noobs from screwing the game, but if a good hacker wants to hack he can. But the bad part of the protected way is that If I have no time to launch regular updates my map will start to die and noone can help me.

the open map allows people to create some MODIFIED versions of the map and it turns things interesting (since not used for hacking purpose). but if a noob decides to make some "awsume modifition asdwasda" then he'll just screw the map and some persons may download it thinking this is an original version.

example of some open maps:
spellcrafter.
footman frenzy.
first versions of dota.
green ORPG.

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
I would say its complelely up to you... you just weigh in the pros/cons of both...
i would say YMYD

Your Map, You Decide

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
I would say its complelely up to you... you just weigh in the pros/cons of both...
i would say YMYD

Your Map, You Decide

[2]

If you don't know what to do too, i suggest you to update your map.. and release the olds

example:

actual version = 1.15
release unprotected version of 1.10

acwel

Reaction score
i would keep an unprotected version of every update you make and once you go from like v1 to v3 release v1 for modding that way people CAN mod them if they want to and by time v3 comes out you will have fixed more of the bugs so if the modders do make a "hacked map" they still have all the bugs of v1 and not as many of the new stuff....unless they TOTALY copy v3....but hey its up to you

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think that you should leave your maps unprotected.

I sometimes see a map that is really crazy and I wonder how the maker did that, then I find out that the map is protected. There are also some maps that I like a lot but have a few bugs and a few bits that annoy me, sometimes I know that I will easily be able to fix the bug or stuff and try to do so, then I find that the map is protected.

If your map is good enough people will try to steal credit, but unless your map is super popular I don't see what horrible effects that will have. I actually never look at who makes the maps I play.

Your decision though.

offtopic: I totally thought that jig was acehart for a second, how cruel.:(

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Protect the map. Some noobs may edit your map and tell that his the one who made it lol. If you release your map unprotected, you will regret lol

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
Protect the map. Some noobs may edit your map and tell that his the one who made it lol. If you release your map unprotected, you will regret lol

In noobs he trusts.

But i do agree so its

In noobs we* trust.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Uh huh. If someone tells me that they created the map, I'd first ask to see proof. Whether it's something in the map or proof of their skill with the editor.

I'd leave it unprotected. If your map even gains enough popularity for someone to hack it, be proud that it's popular. Otherwise, it's just another warcraft 3 map that no one will play. Besides, 95% of the time people won't even try to open the map and assume it's protected. By all means optimize it, but protect? It's a joke. Anyone can crack anything with the knowledge, and believe me when I say there are a lot of people with the knowledge.

And I'll make an example of my map (which is impossible to finish without RtC :(): Physics wars will be entirely open source. Why? 1) Someone will crack it if it gains popularity, 2) People (like I used to) will wonder "how the fuck did he do x...?", and 3) It'll probably flounder in the ocean of DotA.

TLDR: Don't protect it because it's a waste of time.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
yes a few noobs will steal your map. oh no some people who you will probably never meet will think that some noob could make good maps for a day before they forget his name.

Think of map stealing as pirating, people understand why game companies take anti-pirating measures, but most people don't like it when the games start having a drm.

It's like that, except a 1000 times less serious.

NindoOne

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
nobody cares about new WC3 maps anymore, its outdated and when SC2 releals it will be completely dead. In EU battle.net you only see random TDs, maybe some footy and DotA. All other maps never ever get required players.

mapguy

Reaction score
I think that unprotected is better. since people can MOD it and then my map will have lots of version, but the interesting part is that my triggers are so messed and complicated that it's almost impossible that someone could create a new hero or item without creating 5 bugs in the same time.

For example, If Dota was unprotected I would fix some bugs and add some new heroes, but since im a nice person I'll put:

Created by: Icefrog
Modified by: Mapguy
and I would change the name to
Dota all stars 6.62b - by mapguy

acwel

Reaction score
nindo....im gonna risk sounding like and ass but if wc3 is dead WHY THE HELL ARE YOU STILL HERE!?!?!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.