Just got my 27" iMac (graphics performance)

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I just got my 27" iMac (i7, 4850M, 4GB RAM) yesterday, and I love it, its great. I've downloaded my games off steam and have fiddled around with settings and this is what I've found (for those that are interested):

Crysis
Playable at nat res (native resolution, 2560x1440) on High, but Medium was more fluid (IE High could have been 4-5 FPS higher)
Playable at 1920x1080 on Very High, but High was more fluid
Crysis Warhead
Playable at nat res on Mainstream (equiv. to Medium)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Playable at nat res with all settings maxed
Just Cause 2
Playable at nat res with all settings maxed except for Light Point Specular, SSAO, Hi-Res Shadows which were turned off, ~20 FPS, ~25 would have been better.
League of Legends
At nat res with all settings maxed except for Shadows which was on High I get ~60 FPS.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Lol, I doubt my gfx card would be able to support any of those settings. If they did, I would probably have ~5 or so fps.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I've seen the X-Rays and boy, they do look bad...

homerco.jpg

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I've seen the X-Rays and boy, they do look bad...

homerco.jpg
Not true :( lol
Let's be fair... You do think Macs are great for everything...
Not true, they are bad at viruses :)

Let me rephrase, "Macs are good for games if you dual boot Windows 7, and great if you have an iMac w/ the 4850m (or a Mac Pro).", they will also continue to get better a lot faster. I'm expecting a 5850 or 70m in the next iMac, along with a Core i7 hexacore processor.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'd never game on a mobile GPU. If I wanted to game I wouldn't buy a laptop and I wouldn't buy an iMac, I'd just go with a console or if I had more cash to dish out, I'd go with a custom built PC...

Anyway, I doubt anyone is interested in your very briefly analytical run throughs of how games are running on your machine, but who knows...

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Not true :( lol

Not true, they are bad at viruses :)

Let me rephrase, "Macs are good for games if you dual boot Windows 7, and great if you have an iMac w/ the 4850m (or a Mac Pro).", they will also continue to get better a lot faster. I'm expecting a 5850 or 70m in the next iMac, along with a Core i7 hexacore processor.

So Macs are good for gaming when you don't use Mac OS?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ah, ok that makes more sense :p

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Honestly I'd never game on a mobile GPU. If I wanted to game I wouldn't buy a laptop and I wouldn't buy an iMac, I'd just go with a console or if I had more cash to dish out, I'd go with a custom built PC...
Work and general use come first when I buy a machine, gaming is a secondary thing. I wouldn't expect someone to buy an iMac just for gaming.
Anyway, I doubt anyone is interested in your very briefly analytical run throughs of how games are running on your machine, but who knows...
So? A few people might be.
So Macs are good for gaming when you don't use Mac OS?
Yep, mostly because 1) OSX has a much smaller range of games and 2) Drivers for the graphics cards aren't as good in OSX compared to Windows in regard to games.
Ah, ok that makes more sense
:p

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
I'm waiting for when Macs get the 5970 and support AMD as well as Intel processors. :p

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
What's so funny about that? Macs are great for gaming.

This is very untrue...
Point me to the location of a LAN gaming center running Mac setups for the computers. Theres probably a reason for that. ;)

Yes, Macs can be turned into DECENT gaming machines, however they're twice as much as a PC. For the cost of most Macs, you could build a PC with twice the specs. Macs are good for Photo, Music, and Video editing...

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
This is very untrue...
Point me to the location of a LAN gaming center running Mac setups for the computers. Theres probably a reason for that.
I rephrased what I said to be more accurate, and PCs are the obvious choice because you can get cheap PCs with better graphics cards in comparison to what you can with a Mac.
Yes, Macs can be turned into DECENT gaming machines, however they're twice as much as a PC. For the cost of most Macs, you could build a PC with twice the specs. Macs are good for Photo, Music, and Video editing...
That's not just applicable to Macs though, it's the same as buying a PC from a retail store, you could build one for half the price (sometimes even less).
There are only two Macs that offer really good or great gaming performance, the 27" iMac w/ the 4850 and the Mac Pro with the 4870 or GTX 285.

The new Mac Pro line should have some 58xx or 59xx series cards, and the new iMac line should have some 58xx or 59xx (m) cards.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
1. Build a PC
2. Install Linux
3. Make Game Server
4. ???
5. Profit!

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
For the love of computer users everywhere.

ADMIT MACS ARNT GOOD FOR GAMING

Even die-hard macheads say that Macs are better for business type stuff, not games.
It confounds me to no end that Apple might be the only company with their own group of enthusiasts, that are so enthusiastic, they have a nickname.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.