Let five die or kill one?

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
You know, for the sake of the question, let's assume that no other people exist, save you and these six.

Well that changes everything then. 1 instead of 5 like that, but if others exist then I would probably let 5 die, not knowing what other damage the lever would cause. Since this can be applied to a real world situation, not knowing what the lever would do in the first place other than switch the tracks would be a great impact on whether I would pull it or not.

To sum that last paragraph up, I would probably run away screaming like a girl, like most people would do, instead of doing anything at all, or I would pull the lever without seeing the one person on the other track.

Although (yes I know, lots of loopholes), the one person who was on the other track was not doing anything wrong, seeing how they would have probably looked at the track and saw the train was not going to be on the track. Save a smart person or save 5 people that will get run over later, both can be debated with support.

I guess you really need to break that question down into two different questions. The core what would be best for humanity if all six people were identical and there would be no consequences to you whatever action you take, and a real world application, in which more factors like what is morally right and wrong appear.

*Sigh*

Now people are taking me too literally. But I guess that's my fault, since I asked for it.

Forget what I said about the world having 7 people in it. Just assume that if you pull the switch, the only consequence is that one person dies, and if you don't, the only consequence is that five people die.

Is that better?

Not really, because you made this debate two different debates. :p

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I feel your frustration SilverHawk. It appears that what you seek shall remain illusive save to say that maybe others have yet to enter this debate from the understanding it was meant to be approached from. Erm...good luck with that. :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.