Macro and Micro?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Macro and Micro are terms used for types of strategies. I am assuming they derive from the type of Economy strategies - Micro (which means looking at the local situation) and Macro (means looking at the full picture).

In Starcraft syntax:
Liquipedia said:
Micro - Micro is the ability to control your units individually, in order to make up for pathing or otherwise imperfect AI. For example, controlling only two Marines to kill a Lurker, or being able to kill multiple Scourges with Mutalisks is considered "Micro". The general theory of micro is to keep as many units alive as possible. For example it is better to have four half-dead Dragoons after a battle, rather than to have two Dragoons at full health and two dead ones.

Macro - Macro is your ability to produce units, and keep all of your production buildings busy. Generally, the player with the better macro will have the larger army. The other element of macro is your ability to expand at the appropriate times to keep your production of units flowing. A good macro player is able to keep increasing his or her production capability while having the resources to support it.

You can read more: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Micro_and_Macro

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Micro is controlling your units. Think of it as the ability to use the army. Think of Macro as being able to use your base-producing units, making buildings, etc.
Micro - Using army
Macro- Using base
Your micro and macro skills are heavily judged by your apm(actions per minute). On average I do 350+ actions every half a minute.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Maybe thats when hes spamming build scv/probe/drone at the start of the game?
Oh right. On average.
Maybe the games last 30 seconds?
./flamemodeoff

But yeah, Micro and Macro is what Miz said. That loveable fountain of knowledge.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
>Just remember, macro > micro until you hit master league

Depends entirely on strat

>Your micro and macro skills are heavily judged by your apm(actions per minute). On average I do 350+ actions every half a minute.

Not at all. ~70-100 apm is required to make everything. The only real use of 200+ apm is the more precise unit pathing, but other than that even 70 will do

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
All semi all in and all in strats give u enough economy to constantly reinforce where you force the player into a micro battle and micro is more important :p

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Not if you go all in every game :D

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
>You gave a very specific instance where you would be using micro more than macro. In all 95% of your games you will need macro>micro though.

I disagree. Both are very important. For example recently I won a pvz when I was on 2 base, the zerg was on 4 but due to a constant "collosi dance" He kept loosing his army and when I finally pushed out to kill him even though suffering heavy losses in my stalker numbers he had hardly any larva/resourses to replenish.

Imo it is very case specific and player specific, still most pro players say that macro>micro but still...

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
41650_691032266_5784350_n.jpg

Basically all I have to say on the matter.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Actually I'd like to put this to the test. You will do a macro intensive build, I will do a micro intensive build. Let's see who pwns who. : ) Since you are in NA we can wait until the grandfinals of the tourney. I will borrow the dummy acc (the one that will expire after 8 hours) and we can see. Up for it ?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
you can have as high APM you want, but unless you actually USE that APM, its no good, its just spamming. In the lower levels (like bronze and etc) you should focus more on macro, because in the end, you will win if you have a BIGGER army. Microing well starts to matter more in platinum and diamond leagues, focus on macro and then look at micro.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.