General Man cuts off his own head with a chainsaw

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The last resident in a block of flats due to be demolished cut his own head off with a chainsaw to highlight the 'injustice' of being asked to move out, an inquest heard today.

Desperate David Phyall, 50, plugged the electric chainsaw into the mains and attached a timer to the socket.

He then wrapped sellotape around the machine's trigger to secure it in the 'on' position and tied the handle of the saw to a table leg to hold it steady.

Mr Phyall rested the saw on his neck and waited for the timer to go off.

Whole story here.

-------------------
I say if you are going to kill yourself, which I do not advocate at all, you should at least be creative like this guy.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
totally, I couldn't do that even if I wanted to... talk about a painful way to die.

I reckon, it could have gone wrong in so many ways and just left him dying there in a horribly painful way. I don't think killing yourself would really make the point he wanted to, but at least no one is really going to want to rent his apartment. Freak

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> talk about a painful way to die.

They say he died instantly. I do believe they're right after reading the details, at least on the pain part. Apparently, the chainsaw took care of 3/4 of his neck within not even half a second. At which point your brain doesn't really receive any more "IT HURTS!!11" signals anyway!

Though, still apparently, a man still lives for a few undefined moments before dying when hurt in that manner (Like when your head is cut off). Must be strange a sensation. :rolleyes:

If we can call it a sensation when you can't sense your whole body at all.

Kelv

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Also, the shock factor would completely override whatever pain was being felt.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
-20 Points for Suicide
+10 Points for Creativity
+15 Points for the Balls

Really I don't think, even if I wanted to kill myself, have the guts to do this...
I would totally regret it when I was laying down for that timer to go off :thdown:

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
This totally reminds me of the guy who killed himself by building a guillotine in his back yeard to chop his head off.

I tell ya, it stuff like this that will make heads roll.

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It's just one of those cases that "I died without getting hurt !!!!".

Seriously, if you don't want to be moved out, then stay -.- (which I do not encourage)

Septimus

Reaction score
> talk about a painful way to die.

They say he died instantly. I do believe they're right after reading the details, at least on the pain part. Apparently, the chainsaw took care of 3/4 of his neck within not even half a second. At which point your brain doesn't really receive any more "IT HURTS!!11" signals anyway!

Though, still apparently, a man still lives for a few undefined moments before dying when hurt in that manner (Like when your head is cut off). Must be strange a sensation. :rolleyes:

If we can call it a sensation when you can't sense your whole body at all.

If I am not mistaken, a human brain could still function for few second even it separate from the body.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
If we read too much detective novels or comics, then we might suspect that this could be murder o_O.

:p

The hardest part of this death is to wait the timer ticks off.... I wonder what he was thinking while waiting for the timeout. But I would say that he should be lucky that he died in the attempt. I mean, imagine if the saw cuts his head halfway and then malfunction...and he's not dead...yet. Damn that's painful! May he rest in peace.

eellem1

Life is made of the little things, live it well
Reaction score
CRAZY!!! Well, not any more. What a hell of a way to go.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very creative, very painful and very quick.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Hmmm - seems a bit of an over-the-top method of protesting against injustice, couldn't he just done something else? ¬.¬

If I am not mistaken, a human brain could still function for few second even it separate from the body.
Even if the brain still functioned, it'd have to receive signals from the nerves to actually realise that there was pain (even though there probably is/was some on the head-side :|)

In his case I would rather have a neck of steel.
Well, if you're going out of your way to make a point by killing yourself, not being capable of killing yourself does make it somewhat pointless

Maybe this should be on that list of manly ways to kill yourself?

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
They're just getting reported more. Suicides, murders, etc. have been happening at the same rate (even more) in the past. The internet and assorted media just brings it to the public eye in a way that newspaper cannot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.