Media Player Problems

Cognitor

Reaction score
I installed an updated version of media player from the microsoft website, the Windows Media Player 9 Series (...for windows ME, which is what I have). I did the whole setup, and restarted. Now, I can't run any videos through media player; all I get when videos are opened is the audio from it.
I figured a system restore would do the trick to get it off my computer and revert back to the my previous version (and the microsoft site instructed me to do this as well in order to get rid of it). When I went to system restore, however, I had no restore points at all for some reason AND it did not allow me to create any restore points. It just said to restart and try creating a restore point again. I did this and it kept giving the same message.
Bottom line: Media Player is screwed up, I can't get rid of the new version, and there are no restore points and I can't create any.
If there's any additional info that you need, just ask. Thanks for the help.

Cognitor

Reaction score
Yeh, but some sites only play videos from media player if you decide not to download the video so I sort of need media player. (Unless this has to do with my settings not the website in which case I can change it (Although I don't know how if it is an option))

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
ok, please download the G-Spot codec utility here:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

See the screen. Look fo the MS A/V rendering option at the bottom. Hit 1 first to find the codecs the file is using, then 2 to play the file in GSpot. See what happens.

Whether it succeeds or fails, please report back and I will guide you through the next step.

You probably have an issue with your installed codecs, which are causing a strange anomaly in the DirectShow renderer. That's the theory, but we'll see what the reality is.

Attachments

• irfanview pic.jpg
    irfanview pic.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 206

Cognitor

Reaction score
I'm sort of unsure of what to do. I don't know if we are looking at the same thing here.

Im trying to upload a pic of what I have but it's 750KB and the site only allows me to upload 500. I probably don't know what I'm doing and as I remember it, there's a way to decrease the size by changing the properties or name of the file, can't remember, but that's where you come in :eek:
Tnx.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
click the "..." next to Path and find your video, Ive never used this ply but for most it should start playing.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
sorry I forgot to mention you should download the latest beta, not the latest "official" release.

Get the beta here: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/GSpot252b01.rar

Install this one ^^

Drag and drop your video file into the program, or do what sgrage said, same thing.

Then look for the MS A/V rendering option in the bottom-left corner. Hit 1 first to find the codecs the file is using, then 2 to play the file in GSpot. See what happens.

Cognitor

Reaction score
Before I do that, I was going through the settings or setup and everytime I tried to complete/finish it, I get the message "An internal application error has occured." Any feedback on this before I do the whole scan thingy?

Thnx

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
are you talking about scandisk? or something else?

can you take a screenshot of the error?

what settings or setup are you talking about?

Cognitor

Reaction score
Ok, I don't know what happend this time around, but I decided to reinstall it a fourth time and apparently this time it works. I don't know why. Sorry for the trouble. Thanks for the help tho. Very much appreciated.

-Cogs

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.