US News Motorcyclist dies after hitting head on pavement during protest against helmet laws

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
ONONDAGA, N.Y. — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike’s handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Read the news here.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
^ Yeah, that's the Biggest fail in history!
f bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.
Seriously! It's Just plain stupid to ride without a helmet, regardless of what the law says.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
This article is an example in stupidity, and makes me lol.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
NEVER is someone getting hurt or dying for any reason funny. While it's kinda a bit funny because of WHEN it happened, a person dying is never funny.
The general public DISGUSTS me with the view on motorcyclists. You guys are up in here going "He got what he had coming to him", "makes me lol", and "lol fail" like it's some kind of joke. I didn't see you posting that kind of bullshit in the thread about Ryan Dunn dying in a DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENT, but yet a 300lb motorcycle goes a bit over the speedlimit and suddenly he deserves to die? You guys disgust me, there is way too much hate and ignorance and not enough acceptance and understanding in this world now a days. People drift cars on the road, do they deserve to be hurt? People talk on their phones while driving, do they deserve to be hurt? No one does, and people just hate motorcyclists because the bikes are loud, and in some states, they can cut down the center of the lanes and people get mad because they have to wait and bikes don't.

Really, other than the noise, what do motorcyclists cause to you? NOTHING! So they deserve to die because of the momentary noise when driving by, right? Because if a bike crashes and gets in a wreck, even if it hits your car, it'll probably only dent it.
Stop being heartless fucks and realize that cars do MORE illegal shit, and are MORE dangerous at normal speeds than a speeding motorcyclist is. No one deserves to die for something done in fun, and for you guys to think so is absolutely disgusting.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Of course its wrong. Did he deserve to die? No, its a waste of a life. I've never had trouble with motorcyclists, and even if i did i wouldn't even think he/she would deserve it. Im being insensitive and slightly amused at the circumstances of it all. I would be amused if a ban on airbags was wanted, and somebody crashed nearby and saved by an airbag.

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Stop being heartless fucks and realize that cars do MORE illegal shit, and are MORE dangerous at normal speeds than a speeding motorcyclist is. No one deserves to die for something done in fun, and for you guys to think so is absolutely disgusting.

I think it was more because of the sheer irony, as Monsterous pointed out.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
That's using your head!

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Why would you protest helmets? I don't get it.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why would you protest helmets? I don't get it.

I have no idea. Maybe they don't like to mess up their hair.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
NEVER is someone getting hurt or dying for any reason funny. While it's kinda a bit funny because of WHEN it happened, a person dying is never funny.
The general public DISGUSTS me with the view on motorcyclists. You guys are up in here going "He got what he had coming to him", "makes me lol", and "lol fail" like it's some kind of joke. I didn't see you posting that kind of bullshit in the thread about Ryan Dunn dying in a DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENT, but yet a 300lb motorcycle goes a bit over the speedlimit and suddenly he deserves to die? You guys disgust me, there is way too much hate and ignorance and not enough acceptance and understanding in this world now a days. People drift cars on the road, do they deserve to be hurt? People talk on their phones while driving, do they deserve to be hurt? No one does, and people just hate motorcyclists because the bikes are loud, and in some states, they can cut down the center of the lanes and people get mad because they have to wait and bikes don't.

Really, other than the noise, what do motorcyclists cause to you? NOTHING! So they deserve to die because of the momentary noise when driving by, right? Because if a bike crashes and gets in a wreck, even if it hits your car, it'll probably only dent it.

Death is a part of life, and since it will happen to all of us at some point in time, I safely tell myself that yes, I find this funny.

I'm pretty sure I also said something about Dunn's death along the lines of "He probably wanted to be considered a Jackass" or something.

We SHOULD laugh at the irony. We SHOULD laugh because he had it coming protesting a law that was meant to protect him. It will add purpose to his death beyond reminding people that helmet laws are a serious matter.

Why shy away from death, DDR? It's gonna bite us all in the butt at some point.

The general public DISGUSTS me with the view on death. << lol :)

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
the irony is funny, but people have no respect for the deceased and just find it entertaining every time someone dies. pretty sure if someone in your family died in a weird or ironic way, you wouldnt laugh.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
the irony is funny, but people have no respect for the deceased and just find it entertaining every time someone dies. pretty sure if someone in your family died in a weird or ironic way, you wouldnt laugh.

Just give it a few years...

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I don't think it's that people find death necessarily entertaining, rather, I think it is society in general that has become less caring and more cynical. I don't think anyone here would have wished death upon this unfortunate motorcyclist, anymore than they would on their neighbour or anyone they knew, but I think it is worth realising that sometimes, these things happen, and we should take note to learn the lessons.

I think it is the inner cynic that has brought the asshole out of people commenting earlier in this thread (myself included), but then this was incredibly ironic. And there is no greater evidence of this cynicism on the internet than the Darwin Awards.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder if any of those other are going to wear helmets now?

find it entertaining every time someone dies.
No one said it's entertaining.

Well, he lost control, went over the handlebars and then hit his damn head.
What are the chances of that happening on a day, while protesting a law requiring helmets?

Seriously, I can't think of any sane reason to protest against it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.