Multi-level-up hero restriction

Lahey

Reaction score
What global constant or trigger action should I use to make sure that heroes can't level multiple levels in 1 go? So for example. Hero is level 1 and picks up a book that gives 500exp, the hero levels to level 3. This should be level 2,9.

Lahey

Reaction score
That was just an example. Heroes can get exp by triggers. Like if player A finishes a quest, all heroes get exp.

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
you have to set the level require for the hero to next level in gameplay constant.

He doesnt want increased EXP for the next level. He wants it so if that happens, then the hero doesn't gain a full level.
How about something like, trigger everything. For example, a level one hero gets the book that gives 500 xp. Simply check the exp he needs to advance to the next level, and set his level to that, then check the exp left over from the triggered amount, and add it until theres 99% left over. Then simply leave it.

Lahey

Reaction score
Edit: Well that trigger idea of yours is kinda verbose imo. So there is no way to say in Global Constants that heroes can't multi-level?

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Since you are the mapmaker, you determine how much experience units receive in your map. Go to Advanced > Gameplay Constants. In there you determine how much experience is received and required for gaining levels.

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
Since you are the mapmaker, you determine how much experience units receive in your map. Go to Advanced > Gameplay Constants. In there you determine how much experience is received and required for gaining levels.

Once again, he doesnt want more experience. He just wants to know how to not multi level.

tommerbob

Reaction score
Once again, he doesnt want more experience. He just wants to know how to not multi level.

Yeah, I know. The most simple way is to change required experience in gameplay constants. Triggering it is also possible, but why make a trigger when everything can be done in gameplay constants? If he has a quest that gives 500 experience to a level 1 unit, then thats his choice. The game is not forcing him to give lots of experience to low level units.

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
But at the same time, what if its not a low level unit? I guess there could be an experience system, but I'm not having an argument over a stupid point. You are simply wrong, he doesn't want to change the experience required, thats not the issue, the issue is the multiple level, his best bet would be to trigger experience gain.

tommerbob

Reaction score
Yeah I see your point and I agree. But with what he is doing, I just think he's making a huge mountain out of a molehill. It's like asking "how do I prevent someone from casting a spell when I force them to cast a spell"?

If you are giving 500 experience to a unit, but don't want them to gain multiple levels, there is a very easy solution. DON'T GIVE THEM 500 EXPERIENCE. GIVE THEM 250 EXPERIENCE.

But, with all of that said, when you give the experience, and they gain more than one level, you could simply reduce their level again and take away 1 skill point.

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
tommerbob said:
If you are giving 500 experience to a unit, but don't want them to gain multiple levels, there is a very easy solution. DON'T GIVE THEM 500 EXPERIENCE. GIVE THEM 250 EXPERIENCE.
But if the experience is for someone thats a higher level OR a lower level it could present some difficulties. Think before you speak.

tommerbob

Reaction score
True, but then if you have low level heroes completing high level quests, or vice-versa, then its obvious you have a problem.

Another obvious solution is you detect the level of the hero who is completing the quest, and give them experience based on their level. <--- this would fix his problem easy, probably even easier than resetting the hero's level.

OT: We obviously disagree. Doesn't mean you need to be rude about it.

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
Nevertheless, his question was answered, I was simply stating that he did not want to reduce the experience.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.