Nationalism HELP!!

JuiceBox

Reaction score
I have no idea where to start. :banghead: :banghead:
Someone help me please? Will give +1 rep!! :)

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
Nationalism in the West has its roots in the 17 and 18th centuries, when people with similar language and... well... ethnicity began feeling a part of a whole. Nation states emerged then, for example England or France or Spain (which was an empire). Although, this was not everywhere, for example Germany and Italy were still made up of multiple small duchies, kingdoms, et cetera.

What Napoleon has to do with all this is that as he conquered Central and Eastern Europe, he spread nationalist ideas into Germans, Hungarians, Italians and so on. As a result, during the 19th century, there were powerful nationalist feelings in Europe. Germany and Italy became nation-states of their own, countries like Greece, Serbia and Bulgaria became independent of the Ottoman Empire and also became nation-states.

Because of this segregation of nationalities (but most importantly diplomatic issues and enthusiasm for war) World War I began and was fought so viciously.

And that's the main idea in short.

Also, through Europe, nationalism spread to the colonized peoples in places such as Asia or Africa. It was one of the things that led to the de-colonization, really, because the natives embraced the idea of Nationalism. When colonies like India or South Africa became sovereign, they were nation-states.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
With nationalism comes foreigner hate -- With low education and earning (salary) citizens start to think their jobs will be over taken (easy jobs -- cleaning, digging ground, cutting grass, basic construction worker, etc) and accuse them in all other problems in society. Most of these problems though are not caused by foreigners.

Nationalism helps to preserve small countries culture, for example Estonian culture, where I am from.

Nationalism has bad reputation because of World War II, instead big countries use word Patriotism. Which is much the same, but does not have this "bad meaning" connected with it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.