New Phenom II x4 not showing on screen

master maste

Reaction score
My dad just updated his computer from an athlon x62 dual core to a phenom II x4 955, his motherboard is a gigabyte GA-M555LI.

For some reason when starting the computer nothings showing on the screen, nothing else has changed and we have checked the cables over and over, change video cards and double checked all the connections.

I even tried the screen on my computer and it worked perfectly.
I have no idea why its not working but its really frustrating.

It also feels like the cpu is working because the heatsink does have a little heat on it after running...

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have a good enough PSU?

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Simple. The GA-M55SLI is an AM2 motherboard. Based on Gigabyte's list of supported CPUs, that motherboard doesn't support AM2+/AM3 CPUs.

Solution? You need a new motherboard to support that CPU.

EDIT: As a suggestion, you could get an AM2+ motherboard that supports DDR2 RAM. Then you could just migrate your old RAM to the new board, plug the Phenom II into it, and things should work well. (Also note, if you ended up getting the AM3 version of the Phenom II 955 and it's the C3 stepping, you might need to temporarily plug your old CPU into the new motherboard and do a BIOS update before installing the new CPU)

master maste

Reaction score
argh, the shop we originally bought the computer from said that it would be compatible, and so we bought the cpu from another shop that was much cheaper...

doh.

And yea we just upgraded the PSU from 420w to 750w.

Thanks for solving the problem.

edit: ok we just put his old athlon x64 back in and now everything is the way it was when it last worked.
but for some reason its not posting. starts up but nothings showing up on the screen...

master maste

Reaction score
Maybe people missed the edits in the last post, but his original computer build that was working, no longer works. Its not getting to POST.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
argh, the shop we originally bought the computer from said that it would be compatible
Don't trust the shop unless you knew the things from testing. You can find them by googling.

The things you need to do is to change your motherboard.

master maste

Reaction score
Yes I would have checked, but I've been busy lately.

Anyways we are using the old mobo and the old athalon x2 cpu so everything is compatible, but its not POSTing, any ideas why? everything starts up but no bios.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Did you plug in CPU power? And did you apply thermal paste

Sorry for the dumb seeming questions but its odd if youve made no other hardware changes at all. Any beeps on boot?

What do you mean "everything starts up".

master maste

Reaction score
Yes the CPU is plugged in. There is already thermal paste on it.
No beeps.

The HDD spins, the cpu coolers fan spins, cd drive spins.

Have tried unplugging the cd drive and switching harddrives, but neither have worked.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hmm, from what I read, it can either be your CPU overheating, or your motherboard being shorted due to metal to metal contact with the motherboard and the standoffs/case.

Did you put washers between your motherboard and your screws? You did use standoffs when installing your motherboard, right? Try unscrewing some of the screws used to hold your motherboard in place and only leave two of them in (maybe upper left corner and lower right).

If it's not going out of your way, you can try building the setup outside of the computer case and seeing if it works then. If it does, then it most likely is shorting.

FIRST: Try reseting your BIOS. You can do this either using the Jumper next to the BIOS battery (for more on this read your motherboard's manual) or remove the battery and disconnect the power from your computer for 5 minutes. Then put the battery back and plug the computer back and try to start up.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Can you at least plug the CPU and Heatsink, and leave the rest?

If it beeps.. Then it works.. If not, it might not be compatible with the board.. Or, it maybe overheating..

Is this a tricore CPU?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.