Gaming Nintendo Officially Confirms New Console

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Nintendo just confirmed the existence of a new console and they say it will be launching next year. We’ve heard plenty of rumors this past week, and it’s a bit refreshing to see next gen approaching. For Nintendo it’s very important, since the Wii is waning and they need a successor to maintain the momentum.

Last edited:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nintendo Puu, here we go!

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Unlike the PS3 and 360, Nintendo actually makes money off of their console sales. I don't blame them for pushing out another console to "outplay" the competition (bad pun I know).

That being said, I just could never get myself to shell out for the newest console every couple of years. I wonder how other Nintendites will respond.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
That being said, I just could never get myself to shell out for the newest console every couple of years. I wonder how other Nintendites will respond.

it's been 5 years since the wii has been out, I would be ok with $200-$300 for a new console from nintendo with HD/blu-ray/wireless N

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I like to get ONE new console every 10 years :) plenty of gaming value on one console to last me that long as I get out lots and do other things.

The normal consumer, on the other hand ... I guess it's all about the next "newest and greatest" thing!

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How to push it even further when you've already been number 1 for 5 years with 86 million units sold, miraculous sales figures, and a worldwide shortage of the console that lasted for more than a year.

Don't overdo it, Nintendo. It might backfire.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Check out ign for more info, the console will cost 350-400 dollars and will stream games from the system onto the controller which has a screen on it. Its pretty much making the console optionally portable plus touchscreen addons to the gameplay and allowing the use of wii remotes which i think is a great move. Also more powerful than ps3 and 360 :) Now all we need are some cool games :DD

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
one every 10 years? I try to replace my computers once every 3 years.. seriously, newer games won't look any better then they did 5 years ago due to the console limitations - if I didn't care about graphics I would just go play a text RPG.. think about it this way, do you really want to keep investing in technology that is 5+ years old? it's technology, it becomes obsolete much faster then other medias, it's like investing in a 20+ year old car rather then getting a new one (by investing I mean buying games/controllers/accessories/etc.

I don't game too much on the go, but the portable controller idea sounds cool

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Nintendo announces new console but profit dives

Nintendo said on Monday it would release a new console next year to succeed its popular Wii, as it reported earnings slumped due to the strong yen and its 3D handheld player came too late to give a lift.

The video game giant said the new machine would be showcased at E3 Expo in Los Angeles in June. The move comes as Nintendo has struggled to reverse its sliding fortunes in an increasingly crowded market.

Nintendo said Monday that group net profit for the year to March fell 66.1 percent to 77.6 billion yen ($942 million), while operating profit slumped 52.0 percent to 171.1 billion yen. Sales eased 29.3 percent to 1.01 trillion yen.

However, the firm did say it expected sales to surge more than 40 percent over the coming 12 months.

More.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Azlier said:
Cutting edge of video game technology, huh?

And here I was thinking that it was an Appleized Gamecube. Boy, was I mistaken.

well it was released before the xbox 360 kinetic/PS3 move

edit: seems I was wrong on the dates, I mixed the two up, I guess they were referring to the motion tech

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
well it was released before the xbox 360/PS3, and was better then the original xbox/ps2, so it was at once point in time the best console in terms of technology

the 360 was released in nov of 05 and wii was nov of 06, an entire year later

pr0-assasin

Reaction score
The console will sport an AMD R700 graphics processor that is more powerful than what the Playstation 3 is currently capable of. The IBM CPU will likely be based on the same architecture as the Wii but in a three-core version with clock speeds higher than the Xbox 360's three-core CPU. This extra horsepower will give Project Cafe the ability to pump out 1080p graphics and support stereoscopic 3DS if Nintendo so wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> How to push it even further when you've already been number 1 for 5 years with 86 million units sold, miraculous sales figures, and a worldwide shortage of the console that lasted for more than a year.
The only thing that brought the Wii above other consoles was motion detection. With the release of Kinect and PS3 Move, it's no longer got a monopoly in that aspect. It needs to release (or at least announce) a new console soon, I think.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Report: new Nintendo system has 8GB of storage, 25GB optical discs

Nintendo has confirmed that there will be a new system shown off at E3 this year—and it's very possible we'll get an official announcement before that—but we have next to no details about what to expect. Kotaku has spoken to some inside sources, and a few specifics about the hardware may have been leaked. The system is reported to have:

8GB of internal, flash-based storage
25GB optical discs
Support for high definition graphics

The controllers are said to include a touchscreen, giving games another way to share information with the players, as well as a supplemental control option. The controller will also support the standard buttons and pads we're used to, much like the Wiimote, which acts as a physical controller when turned on its side. "A third option we've been hearing from several sources involves the new console streaming the same game that can be output onto a TV onto the controller screen, allowing high-end games to be played portably while within an unspecified range of the console," Kotaku reported.

More here.

Last edited:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe they have the information wrong... that 8 GB flash memory is the controller's internal storage capacity.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Maybe they have the information wrong... that 8 GB flash memory is the controller's internal storage capacity.
Why would a controller have 8 GB of internal storage? o_O

Also, remember these are mostly just rumours.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
The 8 gig flash storage acts like the systems hard drive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.