Non-specific crow form?

Randor244

Reaction score
I am making a Crow Form ability, which will change the hero the player uses into a crow and back. However, the player can choose any of 14 heroes at the start of the game, and the Crow Form ability requires a specific original unit type, or the game will crash when I try to use the ability.

I thought of making 14 individual Crow Form abilities, too - but that won't work, since the ability will be in a spellbook that all heroes use commonly.

I also tried the Robo-Goblin ability, but it requires a original unit type as well.

Is there a way to make this work without making the game crash?

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
It shouldn't be crashing.. Unless the normal form of the unit is not the actual unit itself.. Meaning if you want to use it for 14 units, you'll need 14 copies of that spell. :p

Edit: Though a suggestion that might not really work well would be... replacing the unit with the original unit and then use the ability. In other words you need to create a dummy ability that does nothing, and when that ability is used, you replace the unit with the normal unit form of the ability, give it the crow form ability, and cast the ability.

Randor244

Reaction score
Yes, that's what I am saying.

I have 14 different heroes, and they all use the same Crow Form spell. And since the normal form of the Crow Form spell isn't any of the 14 heroes, the game crashes.

And as I said, I cannot make 14 copies of the crow form spell, since it will reside inside a spellbook used by *all* heroes.

And no, I cannot make 14 spellbooks, since that would make my triggering a nightmare :p

So my natural question is - is there a crow-form similar spell that does not require a normal form? Or is there any other way to bypass the problem?

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
Though a suggestion that might not really work well would be... replacing the unit with the original unit and then use the ability. In other words you need to create a dummy ability that does nothing, and when that ability is used, you replace the unit with the normal unit form of the ability, give it the crow form ability, and cast the ability.

Edited my post above.

Randor244

Reaction score
Hmm well, in that case I might be able to just make the 14 versions of Crow form, and give the spellbook a dummy a ability - then use triggers to determine which hero is casting the dummy spell, and use the correct Crow Form on the hero.

Worth a try, I assume.

EDIT: Hmm, this is odd. I made a quick test version of the Crow Form spell, with one of my heroes set as the normal unit. I then tried it out with that hero, and it still crashed.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be the problem here?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
EDIT: Hmm, this is odd. I made a quick test version of the Crow Form spell, with one of my heroes set as the normal unit. I then tried it out with that hero, and it still crashed.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be the problem here?

Is your Crow unit also a hero? (Probably not.) The morphing spells must go unit-type to unit-type, or hero-type to hero-type, or it will have problems.

Squeekems

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Maybe try metamorphosis?

Metamorphosis is the same kind of spell as Crow form and Bear form. I made my own custom version of Malfurion (hero) and gave him Bear Form. It works smoothly.

I'd say try working with the dummy unit-craziness. I try to avoid those sort of shenanigans, but it seems to be the only possible way. Sadly, through my avoidance, I am terrible with working with dummy units and have no idea what to tell you about how to do it. Lol.

One thing is for sure: The Crow Form unit must be a hero, and the dummy unit must be a hero.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.