Snippet PeriodicDamage

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Nono, I mean since he used 0.03, it is fine to use struct stack.

He used it in his latest post - again, nothing more than an example to justify why he made the system. How often will a normal damage-over-time spell tick every 0.03 seconds? That'd just be stupid.

Generally, damage-over-time stuff would tick once every 1 to 3 seconds, so a struct stack is a poor solution (since all the ticks for active DoT's would occur together, regardless of when the DoT's were actually started...

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
It isn't really hard to count ticks in order to make the damage occur every X seconds.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
It isn't really hard to count ticks in order to make the damage occur every X seconds.
It is a tad unnecessary - why execute a timer 32 times a second (for anything up to 5 seconds, perhaps) when you could execute it only when necessary. 32-160 executions for the sake of 1 vital execution, or 1 vital execution and no unnecessary junk?

TimerUtils is just fine for this, and I don't see any reason to change it.

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
While I stated that it's fully possible and not hard at all, I never stated that it's to be prefered over what it currently is. The reason I brought up struct stacks to begin with was to state how unnecessary kingking's linked list suggestion really was.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Struct stacks should pretty much never be used as linked lists are faster (see T32) but granted, harder to understand. The exception is firing one instance of something more than once on the same period (which means you're doing it wrong xD). Oh, and the speed difference is one subtraction or something, so I wouldn't go approving resources based on whether or not they are optimised that tiny extra amount. :p

Using a low period to simulate a high period in the way you suggested, Larcenist, is generally likewise a poor choice. Sometimes I do it anyway, though.

TimerUtils is the right choice for this system.

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
UnitDamagePointTimed does not exist?

Why don't you create a new Handle type (with a struct) and use this in every function.
Wouldn't it be easier to use it this way?

JASS:

local PeriodicDamage pd = CreatePeriodicDamage(duration, instances, damage AT, DT, WT, etc...)

Then you apply it to a unit...

JASS:

call UnitApplyPeriodicDamage(pd, GetTriggerUnit())

// Also

call DestroyPeriodicDamage(pd, GetTriggerUnit())

// etc...

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
create a new Handle type (with a struct)
I just want to make this one thing clear, sir.

Structs. Aren't. Handles.
Neither are they handle types.

In regards to this system, I don't think it's useful enough to approve.

What do other people think? Would anyone opt to use this?
All it seems to do to me is select your timer system for you, and write a few lines of JASS code thereafter.

Oh, and in your create function, remove the local thistype d and just use lastCreatedPeriodicDamage.
I'm pretty sure even BJs do that. :rolleyes: :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.