PF usage???

zll7

Reaction score
Anyone know if when you PF usage usage is almost full if it slow down your comp becasue mine has been slowing down and i cant figure out why... I do have the correct virus protections so i know its now that...

zll7

Reaction score
Yeah im using the new free micrsoft right now :D work pretty well

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Duh...well, sorry, I suppose a lot of people don't know :D

Look at Task Manager Performance tab. If the bar under "PF" is totally bright green and/or you receive a notice that it is moving to VIRTUAL MEMORY (bottom right corner of the desktop), then yea, you need more RAM to boost your PF (RAM makes up most of the Commit Charge (bottom right corner of Task Manager) which, if you notice, is exactly equal to your PF).

When you use a HECK of a lot of processes all at once on your computer, you'll boost your PF/RAM really high, and it doesn't usually go back down until you end processes or restart the computer...but opening a program keeps it's PF, so basically if you open a program, close it, and then reopen it, your PF/RAM (Ok, I'm going to use RAM from now on as it makes more sense to me :)) will not increase.

The problem with Virtual Memory is, while it allows you to use many programs without screwing up your most likely low RAM (256 is too low these days. 512+ will get you by :)), it uses the harddrive. Now Harddrives are INSANELY large things as you know, and by the inefficiency of humanity, take forever to take and give files to. Therefore, using Virtual Memory is a LOT slower than just plain having memory in RAM that goes to and from it. Using the harddrive when it's in use elsewhere makes the speed even lower.

So, in conclusion, check your task manager. If you have 256 RAM or 512 RAM with a lot of programs running (With my 1.25 GB of RAM I have no problem running Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightwave, and WE at the same time) you'll need to buy a RAM stick or two.

zll7

Reaction score
Yeah i think i just need to buy some ram... Thanks for the help...

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
An alternative is to ctrl + alt + del to the Task Manager, go to Processes, and close the unknown processes that aren't System processes. If they look like abbreviations to the programs you have up, then don't close them, you can close everything else that aren't System processes except explorer.exe.

zll7

Reaction score
Alright got another queston regaurding RAM... I need to upgrade it but what should I upgrade it to so that it is atleast good enough to almost never have to worry about lag on warcraft and to work pretty well with other online games...???

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
That depends on your motherboard mostly. You can either find your motherboard manual (if you have one), look online for your motherboard manual, or ask on here, and i'm sure someone will tell you what you need.

You want to try and match up the speeds of the RAM as much as possible. RAM runs at the slowest speed in any of it's slots. Also, your motherboard will only support so high of a speed, so you don't want to exceed that (or you'll be paying for what you're not using).

1 GB of memory is sufficient enough for most gaming. 512 MB of memory is sufficient enough for games older than 2 years old.

Also post the number of RAM slots you have on your motherboard.

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh and another poitn to mention about virus protection / spyware protection. If you run a slower computer, you SHOULD NOT have a virus protector going full time. It tends to eat up a lot of resources on your computer, which will effectively slow it down.

As long as you keep your virus definitions updated, and scan every once in awhile, you should be fine and dandy 99% of the time.

zll7

Reaction score
First where eould i look to find my mother board? MY comp is kinda old and i dont think we got a manuel...

Second: Here are my comp specs of the computer i am using now(Other one is out of buisness)... Intell Pentium 3... CRAP, 866 MHz... CRAP, 128 MB of RAM... CRAP!! Needless to say i need my NEW COMP FIXED SOON... but it doesent look like its gona happen...

PLZ Try to hold back on the insults... :D

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
We need the comp specs of the computer you need fixed.

Run this program on it http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html, it will give you detailed descriptions of everything on your computer. (i do believe it still gives you the motherboard information, can anyone who has used the program tell us?)

Or

You can go into your bios as you start the computer and get the information from that way. Some / most bios don't give motherboard information.

Or

You can open up your computer, look inside of it for the information.

Or

If you bought a premade computer, (ex. from Dell), you can look online for the information reguarding that type of motherboard. (ex. if i bought a Dell GX110, i could find that information on Dell's website).

zll7

Reaction score
I think this is what your talkin about...

128 Megabytes Installed Memory

Memory Modules c,d
Slot 'BANK_0' is Empty
Slot 'BANK_1' has 64 MB
Slot 'BANK_2' has 64 MB
Slot 'BANK_3' is Empty

Processor a
867 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Main Circuit Board b
Board: 694X-596B-977
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG

Post in you need something else...

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
One 512 MB or 133 mhz RAM, or two 256 MB of 133 mhz RAM should work for you then. Both are VERY cheap right now. You can probably get them for less than $20.

zll7

Reaction score
Where would be a good plzce to get it at...? I was looking at BestBuy.com and i couldent find any... all had like 333 mhz... Should i just go into the store and ask that Geak Squad or what?

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Bestbuy wouldn't be the best choice to go. First off, they probably don't have that type of RAM anymore, because it's outdated. Secondly, bestbuy is expensive as hell.

www.newegg.com has some of it in stock

zll7

Reaction score
-I really do not have any idea which one of them i need there are alot... Which one would you suggest... I really dont know what any of the things in the product search mean or what to put in...Not a computer guys just like playing the games...

*And id i got one from this site then i got to install it... Not really my thing...lol

**So what should i do about installing it??? Could i just take it in... Or would that cost more than the ram to install...

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
RAM HERE I would pick either the kingston, cruicial, or viking, remember to get 2 sticks.

Or

MORE RAM HERE Here they have a stick of 512 MB, i would go with kingston, crucial, viking, or corsair.

RAM is one of the easiest things to install in your computer. I would recommend doing it yourself (but then again i'm a computer tech.). It's as easy step process.

1. Remove the case, so the motherboard / internal parts of the case are visible.
2. Locate the RAM slots, they are usually about 6 inches long, by 1 cm wide. (note: you already have 2 installed, so there should be 2 empty slots)
3. Place your new RAM into the empty slots (this is a foolproof process, this type of RAM can only be inserted ONE way into a motherboard) (WARNING: always remember to ground yourself, grab the chasis of the computer case for grounding. Or wear an anti-static wrist band, be very aware of anything that can cause STATIC electricity to the computer, IT WILL HARM IT)
4. Make sure the flaps on both sides of the RAM stick have 'clicked up' (in other words your RAM stick will not move if you pull up on it.)
5. Put the case back on, and start up the computer, your computer 'should' auto sense that more RAM is installed.

Personally, i've only run into static problems once out of the 2000+ computers i have done, so good luck with it. Post back if you need more help.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
before u put in ur RAM u need to check ur motherboard some can only be inserted a specific way other wise bye bye computer :/ is ur computer a brand name? if so what name and what model

and a video card would help more than RAM if ur a gamer, but a video card is nothing w.o the RAM so get both if u can, then u can always use the video card on ur better computer

zll7

Reaction score
My computer is a Micron...Millennia I think is the model...

*dtere you 2 links go to the same place... Does that mean i should get the 2 stick instead of the one... :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.