Pinky Demon WIP

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
Hello, I've been away for quite a while now but I'm back with some new skills (lol). I've decided to move up from the 64x64 icon scene and actually attempt to do some full scale artwork...

Anyhow, I decided I'd try and draw a pinky demon. For those who don't know of the pinky demon, it's an enemy from the video game doom (I think this specific version of the creature is from doom 3, I don't recall it looking like this in the previous games). It's about 40% complete so far, I've yet to do it's mechanical rear legs followed by a whole lot of touching up. Here it is so far -

(pic removed)

What do you think of it's current state? If there's anything completely awful about it then let me know, I know how blind an artist can be to their own work. Otherwise, just remember it's a work in progress and save the harsh and nitpicking criticism for when it's complete :thup:

EDIT -

Final Version -

pinkycannon.png

MurderMode

Reaction score
aha thanks :) yeah the name does seem out of place, but i kind of guessed its history.

In the older games the pinky demon was actually a pink demon.... basically a pink, muscular horned bull-man with hoofed feet. Of course as gaming progressed and storylines evolved, it wasn't so appealing to the game devs to have a fantasy-looking pink demon running around a research facility on mars so they came up with this design instead to fill its role.

Also, when the doom movie came out they came up with their own explanation of why this was called the pinky demon, and also as to why a demon has robot appendages. Quite simply working on mars was a man they called 'Pinky' who lost his legs through a teleport mishap and had them replaced with some sort of sci-fi wheel chair. Later in the movie pinky gets infected and becomes a demon, still retaining the mechanical wheels on his back half. In the game however, it doesn't have wheels it has mech legs and thats what I will be drawing.

Old pinky -

PinkyDemon.gif

New pinky -

demon-pinky.jpg

Movie Pinky -

doom-20051017051215726-000.jpg

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
It looks great. :thup:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Needs a background, but otherwise looks great :thup:

lindenkron

You can change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Man, that looks awsome. I can picture it coming through the "Portal to the underworld" and only being half way through!

Good job! :thup:
-Lindenkron

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Man, that looks awsome. I can picture it coming through the "Portal to the underworld" and only being half way through!

Good job! :thup:
-Lindenkron

Oh, I guess that works too. :\

I imagined it to be more like in Hellboy 2 when Mr. Wink
got his arm trapped in the cruncher thing in the Troll Market and got pulled into and grinded up. :) Nasty scene...
...except with his back trapped, not chain.

Awesome-ly drawn! Good job! :thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
This is my favorite doom monster. When I play Doom 3, and hear the distant, yet recognizable roar of a Pinky, I instantly reach for my double barrel.

MurderMode

Reaction score
thanks for all the comments guys! I really appreciate it.

I was planning to finish off tightening up the front half of his body tonight, but due to an unfortunate car accident on the way home from work (I was stopped in traffic at major roadworks and some jerk rear ended me :mad:) I'm too pissed off to bother.

Oh, and no, he's not coming through the warp or getting his legs ground off lol :p.... I just haven't got to them yet. I'm learning as I go, once I have his flesh finished to a standard I can be happy with, I'll move on the the legs. Being metallic and something I haven't done before I want to keep them till last so I can play with different things :thup:

MurderMode

Reaction score
I've done some more work to the pinky finally, his front half is near done. All that's left to do now is his legs and some touch ups..... which I should complete tomoro :D

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Awesome, it seems a lot darker. :)

Don't know much about Pinky Demons so good job! :thup:

Are you going to add a background later on?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
im loving the pinky! man i still remember playing doom when i was like 5.

MurderMode

Reaction score
Oh man, time flies by huh. Anyways I finished the pinky demon (as much as I'm going to bother) and post it in the first post. I stuffed up about a week back.... I was fooling around with it and minimised it and saved it without knowing :mad:... so I got mad and gave up. But meh, tonight I got over it and touched it up to a reasonable state lol

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Other than the legs seeming somewhat too short for it. The final piece is very well done. :thup:

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
i wouldnt say they are too short, its more like too skinny. comparing it with the new pinky, which u said u were making, the legs in new pinky are like 2x thicker (if not more) then what you got. either way it still looks amazing, better then i could have ever done if i spent my whole life making it

MurderMode

Reaction score
hmm are the legs too skinny.... OR IS MY PINKY JUST THE HULKIEST DEMON AROUND?

LOL!

Yeah, I know what you mean... they are (quite) a bit skinny but I drew the whole back half after I accidentally saved the original after resizing it smaller (I was drawing it at nearly 3x the size ;@ ) which was a real pain. The bottom half of the leg is even twisted on the wrong angle, but meh, it was just a practice piece.

I'm just proud I bothered to finish it after doing something so stupid, normally I'd just bin it and walk away. Thanks for the comments tho guys, much appreciated :thup:

Oh and TeeAichSee, you could do better if you spent your whole life making it :p .... 6 months ago I would have had trouble drawing an emoticon, I've just spent time practicing and fooling around in gimp nearly every night since. Art is something I want to be good at, and with determination I believe eventually I will reach the level I'm aiming for

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.