Preparing for SC 2 Galaxy Editor?

adeoin

Reaction score
Can anyone make any predictions on what the coding will be like in the galaxy editor. I want to start preparing but i'm not shure how. Should i start JASS cause all i know is GUI. I've heard the coding is going to be C++ or sumthing like that. What does that mean?

Thanks In Advance
~Adeoin

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
dude, this is like me asking "Has anyone have any idea on how map protection will work ?"

The only thing that we know is that galaxy will be based on C like Jass. This means that they won't be that similar

JuiceBox

Reaction score
dude, this is like me asking "Has anyone have any idea on how map protection will work ?"

The only thing that we know is that galaxy will be based on C like Jass. This means that they won't be that similar

C++ is MUCH simpler than Jass IMO (at least for me). I learned it before I started making maps in Warcraft 3. They used it in the game Celtic Kings editor. So hopefully, the new editor is like that. :)

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
The new editor won't use C++ ffs. It will have a programing language based on C, called Galaxy. However some of us call it BASS

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
The new editor won't use C++ ffs. It will have a programing language based on C, called Galaxy. However some of us call it BASS

BASS Ftw. (I made that up ;o)

Why does everyone keep saying C++?

Galaxy is based on C. Not C++. Stop saying that it's C++ or any talk about C++.

Anywho, being like C would be like:

JASS:
void Test(void){
}

Instead of

JASS:
function Test takes nothing returns nothing
endfunction

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Huh, that seems alot simpler. I have never understood "takes nothing returned nothing".
Takes blah returns blah just happens to be a simpler (and longer) version of that. :p

<returns> <name> (<takes>)
vs
function <name> takes <takes> returns <returns>

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
No, StarEdit II or something similar will probably be the name of the editor. Galaxy is the scripting syntax itself.

chanta45

Reaction score
Mhmm.. I never had time to learn JASS, hopefully there will be some beginner tutorials posted here...

I did take a course in computer science, learned some Turing and Visual Basic (Easy Easy stuff)...

Excited!

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
This is Great for me. I hated the in syntax in jass. The truth is after see that, i realize its just a little different syntax, and couldn't have been that hard to get used to.

Any Who. Being Based on C is great for me. As i been studying C++, and c# (I know different then C) For a few years. And if i understand right, Mostly the same concept except with out objects, or user made classes. And I by the time the game is out, i will have finished two courses for my major that are about C.

I Plan on still doing a lot of my work in the editor using its gui, but I can save a lot of time by writing a few functions in a scripting language.

Arget

Reaction score
You should at least learn basic JASS, it will ease you in to programming languages and syntaxes.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
I can't really imagine how the new language could be very different from jass.
Many functions have to remain the same or similar. create unit, save a variable, win/lose game, etc; they can't really change those.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Sure, CreateUnit() may be the same, but I doubt the syntax will be.

Instead of

JASS:
call CreateUnit(...)

It might be something like

Code:
CreateUnit(...);

And setting variables might be:

Code:
VAR = VALUE;

Though, they may omit the semicolons, but that's just how C is, so... yeah. I don't know.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Well, I'm preparing by making an IDE for WC3 and SC2. I find that without helping tools you don't learn easily.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I dont know if I know nothing about blizzards style, but when they say "Its like C", I think they mean that "its like C like Jass is like C" or something.

It will be probably very function based just like Jass is. ( Although, it would be kinda cool to have some object stuff, like unit.damage or something.. )

Anyways, its all about how well you can adapt and learn to use that new editor. Probably it will be lil bit easier for wc3 modders, though.

edit. Whether its [lJASS]call CreateUnit(...)[/lJASS] or [lJASS]CreateUnit(...);[/lJASS] doest really matter. lols.

Id be more concerned about more important stuff.

edit. Galaxy is probably the lamest name for scripting languege ever. JASS3 would have been way better. I know its just a minor thing, but it makes me feel very uneasy bout if those guys really know what they are doing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.