Programming

hi_im_bob

......and you are?
Reaction score
Hi I have been surfing the net, and reading JASS tutorials to get a good understanding of programming. I am pretty good at using the World Editor Trigger Editor, but I want something more (does not need to deal with WC3). If anyone knows a good website or a least the type of programming I should get into help would be greatly apprechiated.

PS I am not totally sure if this belongs here.....

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Well first of all know that Trigger editor and Jass are far from programming...

Your question is pretty vague...what exactly do you intend to program?
Anyway if you're really intro it you might as well buy a book...but before that you need to decide which programming language are you going to use. My personal favourite is Pascal, but C(++), Basic and others are out there as well. I've also heard that C Sharp (aka C#) might be a good thing to start with.
Whatever you pick...google will help you find some more info.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Best thing to do is pick some kind of project you want to do, something easy, then pick a language, get some books, do some internet searching, find some forums to ask specific questions in and do your project. When you finish your project then try another one. Do that enough times and the next thing you know you will be a programmer. It really is that easy - and that hard at the same time :nuts:

Rad

Reaction score
Check out autoit3, Im_On_56k told me about it and I got into it pretty fast, its not that difficult, has alot of examples and a helpfile with all the functions.

It makes windows-only GUI, which can be alot of things... You can make calculators, notepads, hex generators and all kinds of stuff. Its really easy, its like basic

check it out here:

www.autoitscript.com

I suggest you:

Download latest version of Autoit3 (Not beta)
Download SciTE (Script editor)
Start with the helpfile, and look at the examples... Its pretty fun to mess with... If you have msn add me [email protected] and Ill help if you have questions (But try to get them on your own :p)

They also have a fairly active forum for support and sample scripts, which you might want to use instead

However, this probrably wont get you a job anywhere, but it will teach you the basics and its fairly easy to pick up on. If you try hard enough you can make some decent programs that do thiings in 2 weeks. But then if you decide to take college programming classes, like C++ (Like I am in january), its a totally different syntax... Totally different way of thinking, but you will know what they are talking about when they say loops, arrays, booleans etc (Basically, like the trigger editor teaches you, in code format)

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Rad is right. Use AutoIt I used it once to make a nice tool for one of my science class converting sound waves from the microphone to accurate numbers.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I suggest learning Visual Basic 2005 or Java. They are both really powerful languages.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
if you want to go farther then the world editor then you should probably first know what you want to do-

If you want to make games and you have a lot of time on your hands then you could should look into C++

If you dont want as complex language as C++, but still want a form of C and then you should learn C#, its still a very good language (my personal fave) and then you could also download the XML framework or Directx and be able to make 3d games with those

I dont know to much about java or visual basic but I have heard visual basic is really easy to learn ( just what I've heard )

Lastly, you could learn javascript with is not a true programming language ( its known as a scripting language) but you can still make a ton of different stuff with it (theres websites filled with javascript programs). The best part about javascript is it compiles it to the internet so you can make little programs (say a blackjack game for an example) and put it on a geocities free website (javascript may work on myspace but idk)

--hope any of this does anything to help you :)--

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.