Question on Morphing (or changing actors)

Mindless

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to change the model of a unit in-game via triggers. Do I do this by changing the actor of the unit?

Also, it would be helpful if anyone explained how the Marine Combat Shield Upgrade works by giving Marines a Shield. I think that is basically what I'm trying to recreate--using upgrades or triggers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward in the Marine Combat Shield upgrade. Just take a look a that.

I think I misunderstood the question.
If you want to change the model you can do that in the actors with the "Model Swap" action.

Adovid

Reaction score
Best option is using a modified morph ability. Most units that change into other units have this ability-- you just can't see it.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have the editor in front of me but isn't the combat shield a simple actor event(possibly combined with some validator)

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Well, I think the morph thing has a problem, since I tested it and apparently, it didnt change the model, but changed all the stats to the unit it was meant to morph to.

Mindless

Reaction score
If you want to change the model you can do that in the actors with the "Model Swap" action.

Can you explain a bit more about it? Like will the model change instantly or will there be some morphing animations?

Actually, I'm trying to change weapons for Jim Raynor. Such as pressing 1 will change it to guass rifle and 2 will change it to sniper etc. Is changing the whole model the most effective way? Or is there simply a trigger or actor action that changes the weapon only?

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Oh, I see. If he is not a hero, you can use the "morph" ability. It'll use no triggers, if the hotkeys allow numbers. If they do, just set the "Marine Form" to hotkey "1", and "Sniper Form" to hotkey "2". It'll swap everything, stats, models, and you'll have to test it out if it's reversible, causing no bugs. But that's the easiest way I can think of.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
I think using the Model Swap command should work.
I know there are examples of this in some of the doodads and maybe units, but I can't remember where..

Just for completition:
The combat shield is a part of the marine model which is normally hidden, but can be shown using a animation suffix (I think it's "cover"). That it why the marine has it's combat shield equipped when you view him in the Previewer, but doesn't have it when placed.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the zergling speed upgrade uses an actor event to switch to the winged model, but I guess model swap will work just as good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.